Sign in to follow this  
Dibdab666

HQ Question

Been having a blonde moment

(no offence to intelligent blonde people)

Been trying to work out my HQ

If I take a Centurion and Command Squad

Does this count as 2 HQ choices 1 for each?

or

Can the Centurion be attached to the Command Squad and be 1 HQ choice

Ta

Command Squads always count as part of the HQ slot as the HQ unit they are bought for and don't count as a HQ selection.

I thought you could only buy a Command Squad for a model that had Master of the Legion though?

But they are 'HQ' right?

The reason I say that is I've heard people say that a command squad taken by a Primarch is part of the Lord of War selection and counts towards your 25% allowance, but I don't see any reason that would be the case (other than battlescribe says so lol)

FTFY.

My iBooks army list says IC with Warlord rule can take Command Squad (written in command squad entry). Is it written differently in paper book? 

That means For example Chaplain Consul can take one if he is your Warlord

Huh.. Yeah my epub version says Warlord too.. never noticed that!

It is also part of the Master of the Legion rule that you can take a command squad.

I have a feeling that warlord is a mistake, but it doesn't exactly conflict so both could be correct

Hmmm... it says Warlord in the Command Squad box-out and Master of the Legion in the Master of the Legion box-out. Not that most people would take multiple squads, so it shouldn't matter which way you go.

As for slot, it is in always a part of the unit it is attached to:

- Praetor from one of your HQ slots? The CS is a part of the same HQ slot.

- Same goes for a Command Squad taken for a Primarch from your Lords of War slot. This does increase the points, meaning you might not be able to fit it in with the 25% rule.

Wait.. sometimes you have to read something four times to understand it.

In the Retinue box out, it says Preator or a special character with the warlord rule.

This does not include any warlord, so a centurion/consul warlord wouldn't unlock it.

Special characters with the warlord rule are.. pretty sure all also have master of the legion, so it's a bit redundant.

Yes, any master of the legion can take a command squad. I don't see any restriction (but it might eat into your LoW allowance, sigh)

I feel dirty for even asking this, but can a Master of Armour take a command squad? For very arbitrary reasons this could be useful.

The rules make it pretty clear:

"...counting as a HQ choice and for the purposes of selecting this Rite of War only, counts as having the Master of the Legion rule allowing this rite to be taken." Emphasis mine.

If the Master of Armour was more like Castrmen Orth, you could argue the point (as he's still an Infantry model with unique rules). But having a Command Squad for a Tank? Nope. :)