Sign in to follow this  
Zeratil

Everyone love psychic robots

Yes! Glad to hear the hours Thousand sons stuff is finally starting to come out. That dread is fantastic, will be getting one. The castellax, it such a fan but will probably grab a couple eventually

Definitely adding an Osiron to the force, and the question is how many of the castellax do I need? I'm thinking nine sounds about right... :D

Nine sounds a good number ;).

These are gorgeous models and looks fantastic in the Mechanicum colours from Inferno.

That lapis is nice!  I'm going to get 5, just in case......

I posted a rules question relevant to them over on the main Rules forum concerning the interaction between Arcane Litanies (and what they REALLY do) and the Malign Unbinding special rule for the Castellax-Achea.

The way I read it, no. I'm of the opinion that the praevian would induct vanilla castellax, which would then gain the LA rule (overall possibly a stronger combo, honestly). The Achean variants are a different order of unit and wouldn't apply as I see it.

That's what I thought, though it seems odd from a fluff perspective. In A Thousand Sons there is a scene with a unit of psychic robots being directly led by one of the Sons. That can only happen in the rules if we're talking about a Praevian.

From a gaming perspective, I'd say no because it's a Castellax-Achea, not a Castellax. It's a permissive ruleset, and the Praevian specifically calls out two automata types.

From a fluff perspective, you are thinking of Kalophis who was definitely not a master of machines. The other way around - he was an extremely talented psyker which made him a good fit for commanding the automata, but his responsibilities were much bigger than just that. Keep in mind the book is old, and back then the idea of Praevians didn't exist yet. I actually think the Achea pattern is much closer to what was descrived in the book than the Praevian.

As always, talk to your fellow players; faith in a rule interpretation won't protect you from getting thrown out by an angry mob :D

From a gaming perspective, I'd say no because it's a Castellax-Achea, not a Castellax. It's a permissive ruleset, and the Praevian specifically calls out two automata types.

From a fluff perspective, you are thinking of Kalophis who was definitely not a master of machines. The other way around - he was an extremely talented psyker which made him a good fit for commanding the automata, but his responsibilities were much bigger than just that. Keep in mind the book is old, and back then the idea of Praevians didn't exist yet. I actually think the Achea pattern is much closer to what was descrived in the book than the Praevian.

As always, talk to your fellow players; faith in a rule interpretation won't protect you from getting thrown out by an angry mob :D

I think it works from a fluff perspective, the control angle is covered by the fact you need a psyker within 24" to control them which I think is where the Kalophis description fits in. I would like it if a praevian could join them though but I agree as written he probably can't. Castellax are probably more effective overall, but you're paying more points as well as more inconvienience having to take a praevian or at least someone with a cortex controller. The Achea make a great 'I have 135 points spare' unit.

Actually, it occurred to me that the red book has Legion specific rules for the Praevian's unit but no additional rules were provided for the Thousand Sons in Inferno. Upgrading a Castellax to a Castellax-Achea costs 30pts, which is twice what most of the other Legion upgrades cost, but giving them Asphyx rounds on their Mauler Bolters or letting the Vorax upgrade their rotor cannons to Asphyx rounds wouldn't be excessive. It looks like this was an oversight when they wrote Inferno.

I don't think the plasma cannon is worth it honestly, I'd rather have the predator executioner and keep the achea as cheap as possible. Also like Mordian mine will end up pulling double duty for mechanicum so I'd like them to be legal for both. 

I think sticking at least one plasma in a group is a good idea. You can use it to snipe artificer armor first, and then let the Mauler bolters with Aspyx murder the rest of the unprotected units.

I finished my Castellax-Achea unit and as I've begun work on my unit of regular Castellax, it has struck me just how big the Achea are when compared to the regular Castellax. I can't wait to finish the second unit and really see them side by side.