m0nolith

Fluff question in regards to the Primaris Lightning Strike Fighter - Human or Astartes pilot?

I would have to say astartes. Clearly the FW model was aimed at solar auxillia/astra militarum/imperial navy, i think astartes units need to have astartes doing the work. (I think humans in super heavy is also dodgy - pay the 15pts).

Theres a thread some where where someone adjusted the cockpit to fit a marine pilot. (I looked but couldn't find it).

I would have to say astartes. Clearly the FW model was aimed at solar auxillia/astra militarum/imperial navy, i think astartes units need to have astartes doing the work. (I think humans in super heavy is also dodgy - pay the 15pts).

Theres a thread some where where someone adjusted the cockpit to fit a marine pilot. (I looked but couldn't find it).

Thats what I thougth at first but there are two points that makes me wonder.

In the description it mentions its used by "Elite close support units of the most well resourced Legions", and Prince of Crows has a human character exactly like that helping Sevatar, albeit it was in a space interdiction fighter.

Theres also the fact that in the description for the Battle Servitor-Control, it mentions that it replaces the "human" crew.

Human being the extended human species or mortal humans?

From a fluff standpoint I'd say the default for the lightning is a human pilot, who may be replaced by a servitor. Most of the fiction seems to suggest that at least (Double Eagle, etc.) - The Xiphon on the other hand is a legion flyer and has a marine pilot.

From pure fluff pow I say both human and marine, its a fairly common figther in the imperial army and I would think that having one or more of them ad-hoc to a legions forces seam very likly to me on the other hand I would say its also highly likly that som legion forces have the figther in thier inventory and dedicated marine pilots for them like the Xiphon.

I'm considering doing all my lightnings and super heavy tanks in imperial army colours.

I can use them for any legion forces I build then. And also from a fluff standpoint, how often are marines mentioned flying fighters or driving tanks.

Even the storm birds are also mentioned having imperial pilots......as far as I'm aware. I've only read 5 of the HH books so far

The description in the most recent Astartes red book states that it's too extreme for human to pilot - it has to be an Astartes or some sort of hard wired servitor.

The Magos who invented this 'Primaris' version consider this a failure of the flesh and won't change it. However, after the heresy a lower powered version is developed which humans can safely pilot.

I cannot speak for other Legions but the XVth is mentioned (In Book VII Inferno) as having an air corp that had specially modified aircraft to capitalize off of their psychic powers to increase their effectiveness. They were noted as flying some Primaris-Lightning Strike Fighters (page 46) during the defense of Prospero (though the legion had a preference for the use of fighter-interceptors such as the Xiphon). The only other Lightnings mentioned in the defense of Prospero were noted as being modified and flown by normal humans of the Prosperine Airguard (page 38).

I do not know if this helps at all...