MaxZ

General Maximus' Ultramarines (1250 Points Completed: Pg4)

I will try keep the text short and the pics many. Got the blue done on a few tacs, master of signal, chaplain, mars pattern rhino, primus medicae in cataphraactii armour, the primarch and 10 terminators that I will be using as tartarus/cataphractii/fulmentarus. Converted them from the pheonix terminator set.

j2sjLLql.jpg

Looking to use this thread to help with painting motivation. If you'd be so kind, please leave a motivational comment, it can be hard to sit down and find the time to paint between school and a job.

Actually, I just changed up my scheme for the blue which means I have to give everything a simple green bath :(

Here is the updated scheme with close ups on a test marine

hEVlFKtl.jpg

zetFZa2l.jpg

dENsiKfl.jpg

A bit of a progress update on the tac squad. School is taking up much more time than I thought but painting is a great study break :D

DywiycDl.jpg

I need opinions on weather to do a pin wash on the blue or not and if so what colour to do it with. I'm thinking oil burnt umber or just a dark blue ink/wash lining the deeper recesses. Any ideas?

Love that blue, it makes me want to take another shot at using my airbrush but I've already started my ultras without and refuse to strip them!  :P

I agree with Unwanted, a wash between the gold and blue would make the transition much smoother!

A burnt umber would add to the sharpness of the border between the gold and blue...

Stunning work by the way.

Thanks! Yeah I've seen people on this forum use burnt umber, it looks pretty damn good especially on tanks.

Personally, I'd mix dark blue, dark brown and black oils paints and do a pin wash with that.

Interesting, what ratios?

Love that blue, it makes me want to take another shot at using my airbrush but I've already started my ultras without and refuse to strip them!  :P

I agree with Unwanted, a wash between the gold and blue would make the transition much smoother!

Haha thats very flattering but yours are really good man. You pulled off the realistic brush style very well.

I was actually also suggested to use a purple. I figured that might contrast well with the gold. Does anyone have experience washing ultras with purple?

Very nice, not that they weren't fantastic before though!  :P

The wash really brings it all together in my opinion!

In total agreement, looking that bit sharper now!

Thanks guys!

Next up is finishing the gold. Any recommendations on technique? My original plan was to layer/highlight with a lighter gold and then a silver in a way that imitates light reflection. Any suggestions?

So my man your gold how you doing it, Ive tried a few recently since starting my UM. Ive tried the New GW stormcast gold line, I've tried scale 75, Ive tried MIG metallic Acrylic, but I always find myself going back to AK True Metal Gold. Whats your preferred gold?