Sign in to follow this  
Ahzeek

undecided between XVI and XVII

cannot decide upon either the Word Bearers or Sons of Horus and have been saving and putting off buying anything till decided but cant take it anymore and thought id get everyone's thoughts on which legion to choose.

Sons of Horus appeal to me because of their gangland topknots, tattoo, scar and kill marks, the Justaerin, Catulan Reaver's, all the sons of Horus captains are cool as well.

Word Bearers appeal to me because of their spells/rituals, color scheme, the Anathame's they carry as combat blades i love the Gal Vorbak, the Vakrah jal and Argalt Tal is my favorite character.

They are almost equal in my eyes and i may even do a joint force if i cannot decide even after i hear out everyone else's opinions.

Yea, Looked at that chart... Man the Salamanders seem like a friendly legion :D

Imagine going out drinking with a space wolf and a salamander... I bet the salamander would volenteer being the designated driver every singel time! ... Hmph a twisted idea of a webcomic just spawned in my head... 

sucks that i watched evil dead the other night with my gf and friends and it made me re think the traitor legions, that movie made me cringe and squirm and the traitor legions do that and worse to "worship" their gods......... yeah not for me.

maybe i could go with a loyalist contingent of the traitors but that movie did what black library books fail to do  

My gaming group often has discussions about how the BL books are somewhat toned down and dance around how horrific the Chaos legions would actually be. I don't blame them, I get the need to not mentally destroy their clientele, but man. Oh man. Emperors Children? The average legionnaire would make Caligula blush. I think it's a good idea to be comfortable with the force you're hitting the tabletop with. 

Loyalist Sons would be cool, though quite extinct. I'm a loyalist nerd so I'm a bit biased.

Word Bearers though - I'm not sure there are any good ones. Period.

So if evil ain't your bag, the choice is made!

I am a SoH player and have been for about 5 years but I think, at this juncture, Word Bearers would be very cool to play.  Word Bearers opens up many avenues for game play through their use of demons and cultists.  Also, the ocean green color is pretty tough to get right haha no but seriously, it is.  

If I was in the position to start fresh, I'm not so sure I would choose SoH.  

The fluff also refers to the Word Bearers culling their own ranks after the Emperor's censoring of the legion. I have an idea to one day do a small army with predominately grey and a few red units. I will be breaking all the rules there as red only happens at Calth, but I like loyalist traitors, and I had a soft spot for the word bearers when I painted and played them in 40k years ago before any of their back story was well known. When the fluff doesn't work for me I tend to make my own...

The red does not only happen at Calth ;) During Calth most of the legion was red, but after Istvaan V Lorgar had changed his color from grey to red (see the novel "Aurelian"). Also the Gal Vorbak / rest of the Serrated Sun was completely painted in crimson before Istvaan. Calth was merely the point when the whole legion "official" took the red.

Oh thanks! I knew the Gal Vorbak but didn't know the rest of the serrated suns went red. But I was referring more to I wish to have loyalist Word Bearers in red. I think that's breaking fluff cause red only appears when they're going going gone heretic. 

Personally I love the Sons of Horus, but hey! It's the Horus Heresy so paint and model what you love. If you have your heart set on an armylist, do one as a primary detachment and the other as allies.

It sounds like you're genuinely torn so I'd just do both or maybe buy Abaddon/Loken + Erebus/Kor Phaeron just to paint some characters from either Legion, which may provide you with some inspiration. Word Bearers have the more interesting rules I think (personally) if you're a tabletop man first and foremost.

I don't blame them, I get the need to not mentally destroy their clientele, but man. Oh man. Emperors Children? The average legionnaire would make Caligula blush.

I just read through this thread, and this has to be the funniest description of EC I've ever read--and the most accurate!

There was a Vigilator type character who had scraped off his red armor and went loyalish, he was in Unremembered Empire and probably in another book/story the way he was written. But that doesn't help your idea to have loyalists in red as the only example of a WB going against the flow after Istvan I know of scraped off the red!