Ripper.McGuirl

Update: Dec.21st. LEGIO XX, Witherer Company Designation: Tallyman’s Due

I really wanted to have an update by now, but I've been trying to get through assembling my assault marines. Having to glue on each hand is making me insane. Partly because it takes more time, but mostly because I agonize over each position so much. I've only got 5 done so far. I'm going to try and get the other five done and 10 seekers assembled before I start priming them all or order anything else.

And yes, Legion is rad. I'm planning on re-reading it soon. I'm going to try and use a bunch of the elements on the cover throughout my army, but not all on one model like that. Some hazard stripes here, some checkers there. A little metal arm over here...etc.

Deliverance Lost I finished recently. I...didn't love it. The Alpha Legion stuff was fun, what with the face stealing and all, but over all I thought it felt like I was reading a GI Joe book, not Astartes.

Honestly I prefer a simpler blue/turquoise like yours ripper. The armour on the cover of Legion is cool and all but I think it's too busy. There's too much going on. Your armour on the other hand gives off a more chameleon impression - which would be very fitting. In my mind I imagine Alpha Legionnaires standing almost in plain sight - yet camouflaged - and then using Fury of the Legion on some poor fool when the time is right.

I agree, much as I love Legion as a book, the cover doesn't work for me. I always think of Alpha Legion being very plain compared to some of the other Legions, so much that members easily pass for each other, and being highly decorated doesn't fit with that. That last marine for me really works and looks the part.

Ripper,

I love your colors that you have on your Alpha Marines. On the other page, you show the paints you are using and the order. What color is the 5th paint? I can't read the bottle. Is it Uniform Grey?

If it is Grey, where does that blue show up from? I thought the Hawk Turquoise was more green than blue in color.

I also see that GW doesn't sell the Hawk Turquoise any more. Which replacement would you use?

Thanks for the help.

It is indeed uniform grey. The Hawk Turquoise is actually pretty blue. The main armor color really is as simple as painting hawk turquoise over black, using strong tone on it, and then re highlighing some of it with Hawk again. I have started using the uniform grey as a final really-tiny-only-on-the-very-edge highlight, as well.

Not sure what to replace the Hawk with. I have a couple pots of it, but I may need to find a replacement. It was one of the GW colors that as around forEVer, so I would imagine vallejo or someone has a pretty close analog.

Glad you like my dudes! I have an assault squad and a master of signals all finished up that I haven't gotten good photos of yet, but they're coming!

*EDIT*

I did some googlin' and it looks like Sotek Green is the closest analog within the GW range, and Vallejo makes a Turquoise that looks pretty similar, I think.

I am not sure if Hawk Turquoise is the super old blend (hex bottles) or not but I am fairly sure the company Coat d'arms has the exact match. I thought Coat d'arms was the original manufacturer for GW paint line way back in the day. The Coat d'arms number for Hawk Turquoise is 165. I hope this is what you are looking for. Love your work!

It is indeed uniform grey. The Hawk Turquoise is actually pretty blue. The main armor color really is as simple as painting hawk turquoise over black, using strong tone on it, and then re highlighing some of it with Hawk again. I have started using the uniform grey as a final really-tiny-only-on-the-very-edge highlight, as well.

Not sure what to replace the Hawk with. I have a couple pots of it, but I may need to find a replacement. It was one of the GW colors that as around forEVer, so I would imagine vallejo or someone has a pretty close analog.

Glad you like my dudes! I have an assault squad and a master of signals all finished up that I haven't gotten good photos of yet, but they're coming!

*EDIT*

I did some googlin' and it looks like Sotek Green is the closest analog within the GW range, and Vallejo makes a Turquoise that looks pretty similar, I think.

I also googled the GW color changes and saw that Sotek Green is the new replacement for Hawk Turquoise. Again those colors to me look more green than the blue you have on your marines. I'll try your paint colors and see how they turn out. 

Thanks again.