Ripper.McGuirl

Update: Dec.21st. LEGIO XX, Witherer Company Designation: Tallyman’s Due

Hey kids! I'm planning on running Alpha Legion, because I love them so. I am going to build a solid basic 1500 pt core that should work no matter what their final rules end up looking like, and here it is:

30k Alpha

145: Centurion Champion: master craft lightning claws, artificier, mbombs,jump pack

100: Master of signals, pwr weapon

100: Master of Signals, pwr weapon

45: Apothecary

45: Apothecary

296: 18 Tactical, nuncio, vex, extra ccw, pwr weap

296: 18 Tactical, nuncio, vex, extra ccw, pwr weap

290: 10 assault, 2x pwr weapons, l.claws

175: 5 recon, sniper, camo

I've only got one model built so far. Then I changed him to having a jump pack, and then it fell off. I'll post a pic when I get it back on!

Ripper's been talking about this layout with our crew; if ti wasn't Alphas I'd almost be annoyed, but I love the idea of one dude in armor, running around shooting stuff and being all tactical Marine. And then he stops, flashes a laser pointer at a hab-block, and levels it from orbit...

That blue will take the chip colors really well. Look forward to it.

Yeah those MoS are straight rotten. No more using two in a friendly ever again for me. Was just plain wrong to nuke 19 marines in one go. I still feel a bit bad...

If I set up across 2+ Masters of Signal, I'd never feel safe. But, again, feelings.

Seems to me the Vigilator is quite steeped in Alpha Legion fluff IMHO. Wouldn't be surprised if they get some sorta special version when the legion gets their rules proper. D6 S5 freebie attacks isn't as awesome as the orbital ballbustin' at first look. However this attack does take place before any player's turn. There's a decent chance you blow up something with AV10 in the butt before the game even begins. Plus you get an Independent Character that can snipe peeps with weirdo bolter shells.

Reeks of Alpha to me...

Yeah, that's enough to pretty reliably bust a rhino based tank turn 1. Also thought it would be pretty funny to use it in any independent characters left outside of squads. My thought was to kind of avoid the really typically Alpha stuff until their book comes out, so that I could get used to the core first and them add goodies. But, I could throw a vigilator in a seeker squad and have him wipe people out with them, or swap recon and MoS for destroyers on jump packs, too.

This is why I haven't bought more stuff yet....

Yeah, I think what I'm gonna do is mix up a dropper bottle with the color I want, rather than mucking about with washes. The blu ink on this model is years old at this point and is super shiny, as is that aqua color for whatever reason.

Also: Banestrike ammo! I'm going to have to rethink my list to incorporate a vigilator and some seekers....

Eh, Seekers honestly don't seem great to me. The ability to buy Banestrike on any IC is cool, I'm definitely going to be taking advantage of that, but it won't make me want to run Seekers.

I can't resist the idea of having a bunch of hardened killers gunning for one guy, and loading up special ammo with his name on it. I particularly like that it's a unit. Alpha Legion history has a bunch of references to them training intiates and passing or failing them by squad, not by individual. This encourages total commitment and teamwork from each squad. My vision is the seekers get the assignment and are told that if their target isn't dead, the whole squad may as well not come back.

Also, here is another test paint.

AlphaTest2.jpg

I realized that the photo doesn't look that much different than the other one, so I took one of the two models next to eachother. I like this new color much more. Thoughts?

AlphaTestSideBySide.jpg

Lastly, here is my updated list:

120: Vigilator: pwr sword, artficer

110: Master of signals, pwr weapon, artificer

230: 15 Tactical, nuncio, vex, pwr weap

230: 15 Tactical, nuncio, vex, pwr weap

300: 10 assault, 2x pwr weapons, l.claws, artficer

250: 10 Seekers, banestrike

255: 5 Tartaros, plasma blaster, harness, volkite, 2 chainfists

175: Sicaran, las sponsons

175: Sicaran, las sponsons

I figure I've got 4 scoring units, one is really fast, one is really well armored, and two are large. A sneaky bastard with a squad of killers outflanking, and also trying to blow up your scorpius before the game starts. Another sneaky bastard hiding in a squad waiting to drop a bomb on your head. And finally, two awesome looking tanks because they are awesome and shoot things a lot.

Thanks Sheo. I'm currently obsessively refreshing a bunch of forums, waiting impatiently for the wash to dry on my first full test model. I'm liking the way it's looking, but I may find another color to use as a highlight before I start chipping and washing everything. Maybe that'll bring in some of what Grey Area was talking about, as well as add some more depth. It will, however, add more time, and thus far, this scheme is pretty easy and fast, so I don't want to gild the lilly too much.

Is the turquoise too saturated for you? What do you think it needs? A little more green, or to be toned down?

A slight hint of green works well for the Alphas imo, but I like your 2nd scheme, it's growing on me