Forgebreaker

2500 - Iron Warriors - Pride of the Legion

Hello everyone!

I am prepping for a 2,500 point tournament at the end of the month. Its been a while since I went to a 30k tournament, so I thought I would take a fairly straight forward and simple list. Lots of terminators and tanks. Nice and easy!  :D

The Chaplain, Praetor and Primus Medicae go in the Spartan with the Terminators. The Apothecary will be with the Tac Squad. The list is very straightforward. The two tanks and the Dreads hold back and blast the enemy, while the two Terminator squads move forward in their transports, ready to jump out and assault juicy targets. The Tac Squad will play the mid range game, acting as support for my rear lines and as an objective holder.

+ HQ +
Centurion (Chaplain)  [130pts]: Cataphractii Terminator Armour, Chainfist, Combi-Bolter, None
. Consul: Chaplain

Legion Praetor [192pts]: Cataphractii Terminator Armour, Combi-Weapon, Digital Lasers, Mastercraft a Single Weapon, None, Thunderhammer

Primus Medicae [140pts]: Cataphractii Terminator Armour, Chainfist, Combi-Bolter, None
. Consul: Primus Medicae

+ Elites +
Apothecarion Detachment [55pts]
. Legion Apothecary: Power Armor, Power Sword

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought [185pts]: Twin-Linked Lascannon x 2

Legion Mortis Dreadnought [145pts]: Twin-linked Missile Launcher x 2

+ Troops +
Legion Tactical Squad [210pts]: 17x Legion Tactical Space Marines
. Additional Wargear: Bolters
. Legion Tactical Sergeant: Bolter, Melta Bomb

Legion Terminator Squad [730pts]: Cataphractii Terminator Armour
. Legion Spartan Assault Tank: Armoured Ceramite, Flare Shield, Quad Lascannon Sponsons, Shrapnel Bolts, Twin-Linked Heavy Bolter
. Legion Terminator Sergeant: Combi-Bolter, Thunder Hammer
. Legion Terminators: Combi-Bolter, Power Fist
. Legion Terminators: Plasma Blaster, Power Fist

Legion Terminator Squad [480pts]: Tartaros Terminator Armour
. Land Raider Phobos: Frag Assault Launchers
. Legion Terminator Sergeant: Pair of Lightning Claws
. Legion Terminators: Pair of Lightning Claws
. Legion Terminators: Heavy Flamer, Power Weapon: Power Axe

+ Heavy Support +
Legion Predator Strike Armoured Squadron [115pts]
. Legion Predator Tank: Lascannon Sponsons, Predator Cannon

Legion Whirlwind Scorpius [115pts]: Scorpius Multi-Launcher

+ Allegiance +
Legion and Allegiance:    IV: Iron Warriors, Traitor
Rite of War: Pride of the Legion

++ Total: [2497pts] ++

It doesn't look that effective and you have half of your points put into a deathstar unit which don't tend to work well at all in 30k.

I feel like you would be better of dropping the chaplian and medicae and just having one unit of terminators in the spartan and standard marines as your compulsory troops and not run pride of the legion. Or otherwise just run them both in a Phobos and use the points elsewhere. Phosphex mortars are good and very iron warriors.

Just my opinion but that 1000 point unit can get isolated very quickly.

I agree, it is potentially vulnerable but I just built my Spartan, so I am eager to use it :)

I cannot imagine running a terminator squad without a Primus Medicae. My rolls are almost always amazing or terrible when it comes to Terminators. The Medicae provides an added layer of security that I quite like. The Chaplain is there because Primarchs and Night Lords are a bit common in my meta, and I absolutely loathe fear, so the Chaplain mitigates that deficit. 

I suppose I could eliminate the second Terminator Squad and funnel those points into a second Tactical Squad and some Thud Guns. The last time i ran them, I was not super impressed but, then again, I was not running the guy who unlocks Phosphex. 

I think you will struggle with objective based games. Two of your three scoring units are your hard hitters and aren't very mobile outside their transports. You could try dropping two guys from your big terminator squad and running your praetor as a Delegatus. It saves you ~150 points you could put into another cheap scoring unit or some outflanking sniper vets. Anything that will die to 12 terminators will still die to 10.

Looking at this I would drop the Tacticals, Predator, Whirlwind , Chaplain and Primus.

Your army needs some dedicated Anti Tank, maybe some Grav Rapiers?

2 units of Vets in Rhinos would help with yourecorring issue as well as being pretty nasty with just boltguns.

2 Cortus Contemptors would fit the theme as well as offering fast melee support

Looking at this I would drop the Tacticals, Predator, Whirlwind , Chaplain and Primus.

Your army needs some dedicated Anti Tank, maybe some Grav Rapiers?

2 units of Vets in Rhinos would help with yourecorring issue as well as being pretty nasty with just boltguns.

2 Cortus Contemptors would fit the theme as well as offering fast melee support

Second list. As I said before, it's fairly easy to take out blob squads of Death Stars. I remember killing a unit of storm shield salamander terminators in a spartan with only a sicaran and x2 kheres mortis dreads which is only 500pts v 1000+

Your experiences with the game differ from mine. Maybe I am just really unlucky! I've always had trouble taking Deathstars out. I most of the time just feed them something and play keep away as I shoot them. Does not always work. Especially against Custodes and World Eaters. I know we will be running missions from the book for 2 rounds, with something special coming up in one of the rounds to shake things up. 

The last time I went to a tournament I took: 

Rite of War: Primarch's Chosen

HQ

- The Primarch Perturabo [455pts]

Elite

- Contemptor Dreadnought Talon [525pts]

----- Legion Contemptor Dreadnought (Melta & Fist)

----- Legion Contemptor Dreadnought (Fist & Fist)
----- Legion Contemptor Dreadnought (Melta & Melta)

- Legion Quad Launcher Support Battery [70pts] (Shatter Shells)

- Legion Quad Launcher Support Battery [70pts] (Shatter Shells)

Troops

- Legion Reconnaissance Squad [185pts] (5 Men: Scout Armor, Cameleoline, Nuncio Vox, Sniper Rifles) 

- Legion Terminator Squad [425pts] (9 Men: 5x Chain Fists, 2x Heavy Flamers, 4x Power Fists)

- Legion Veteran Tactical Squad [270pts] (10 Men: Artificer Armor, Power Fist, Nuncio Vox, 2 Heavy Bolters with Suspensor Webs, Rhino) 

- Legion Veteran Tactical Squad [270pts] (10 Men: Artificer Armor, Power Fist, Nuncio Vox, 2 Heavy Bolters with Suspensor Webs, Rhino) 

Heavy Support

- Deredeo Pattern Dreadnought [220pts] (Aiolos Missile Launcher)

- Legion Sicaran Battle Tank [165pts] 

- Legion Whirlwind Scorpius [115pts]

The list did pretty good, on the whole but ran into some problems.It was a three round tournament. I fought Space Wolves, Night Lords and Custodes.

I lost to the Space Wolves and Custodes but beat the Night Lords. The game with the Custodes was really rough because everything just bounced off the Custodes, except for my Contemptors and Perturabo and his termies. The rest of my list was just annihilated. A lot of this had to do with the mission type, encirclement, and the terrain (an Ice world with lots of trenches). Perturabo and his boys were able to kill a squad but they were isolated from the rest of the rest of the army by about a foot and a half, which was all the space the Custodes needed to blast away my tanks and thud guns. My Contemptors and his Contemptors fced off against one another. The double Melta Dread nuked one and a half Custodes Dreads by himself (what a champ!). 

The game with the Wolves was rough. I was too aggressive with Perturabo and his termies, deep striking them behind enemy lines. Sure they killed a few squads but Russ came over and just annihilated my poor Primarch. At the time, I had not realized just how... Potent... Russ was. Lesson Learned (the hard way). My opponent was also able to deploy a squad of Lascannon Marines in some tall terrain, and had a few lucky rolls. My tanks evaporated rather quickly. :( 

The game with the Night Lords was interesting. I castled up in a corner. Which turned out to be both a good thing (as I was able to really pound the Night Lords as they came at me) and a bad thing (as he was able to multi-charge, ouch!). At one point, Perturabo was surrounded by 20 Night Raptors! Luckily, Perturabo proved himself by killing almost all of them, before being stabbed hin the back by Konrad! Speaking of the Nighthaunter... Well, let's just say he did a lot of work. He and his assault squad killed all of my infantry. To a man. Even the poor Thud Gun operators! Thankfully my Contemptors were able to catch him and punch him to death.

You're going to have trouble beating Death Stars with that list as you have almost Zero Anti Tank, you have no way of cracking Transports open. Usually Death Stars have 2+ save and again in your list there is nothing to deal with that at Range

And for your own Death Star to work you need a delivery system

Just think of what you will do if that spartan goes. It's easy to put the spartan first turn if they pumped everything into it your unit is dead. Custodes will always be Death Star units in their own rites and if you built an army list around them you will be looking at just having AP2 everywhere which isn't practiacble

The lack of ranged AT wasn't really an issue at that tournament (thankfully I did not have to fight the Iron Hands armored company) but it definitely is an issue with that list. Perturabo allows the Terminators to Deep Strike, which was the delivery system. :)

Good points, everyone. I will ruminate a bit, then make a new list.  :)

How about this list: 

Legion: Iron Warriors
Rite of War: Armored Breakthrough

++ The Age of Darkness (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [2497pts] ++

+ HQ +
Delegatus [117pts]: Cataphractii Terminator Armour, Chainfist, Combi-Weapon, None
. Consul: Delegatus
Primus Medicae [140pts]: Cataphractii Terminator Armour, Chainfist, Combi-Bolter, None
. Consul: Primus Medicae

+ Elites +
Legion Mortis Dreadnought [135pts]: Twin-linked Autocannon x 2
Legion Sicaran Battle Tank [205pts]: Accelerator Autocannon, Lascannon Sponsons
Legion Terminator Squad [520pts]: Cataphractii Terminator Armour
. Legion Spartan Assault Tank: Quad Lascannon Sponsons, Twin-Linked Heavy Bolter
. Legion Terminator Sergeant: Combi-Bolter, Power Fist
. Legion Terminators: Plasma Blaster, Power Fist

+ Troops +
Legion Tactical Squad [205pts]: Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines
. Additional Wargear: Additional Chainswords/Combat Blades, Bolters
. Legion Tactical Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Bolter, Melta Bombs
. . Power Weapon: Power Axe
Legion Tactical Squad [205pts]: Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines
Legion Tactical Support Squad Plasma Gun [225pts]: Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 5x Legion Space Marines, Plasma gun
. Legion Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Plasma Gun

+ Heavy Support +
Legion Artillery Tank Squadron [75pts]
. Legion Whirlwind: Hyperios air-defence
Legion Vindicator Siege Tank Squadron [120pts]
. Legion Vindicator Tank: Combi-Bolter, Demolisher Cannon
Legion Whirlwind Scorpius [115pts]: Scorpius Multi-Launcher

++ Total: [2497pts] ++

I've never played with or against an armoured breakthrough list so I can't comment much to help you. But I can't see a flare shield on your spartan which is an absolute must if you haven't already put one on it.

I've never played with or against an armoured breakthrough list so I can't comment much to help you. But I can't see a flare shield on your spartan which is an absolute must if you haven't already put one on it.

I am really only using the Armored Breakthrough so I can squeeze 2 Predators and a Sicaran into the list ;) 

I had to cut the flare shield for points. Not sure what to cut or edit to afford it.  :(

You would be better dropping the Whirlwind and the Predators and look at building the army around the RoW a bit better Armoured Breakthrough should really be used if you want a bazillion Tanks on the table you could take Hammer of Olympia and put the Sicaran in the Heavy Support.

I prefer to take Vindicators in Squads of 3 and by getting rid of the Predators and Whirlwind you should have plenty of points to do this