Sign in to follow this  
inhumansolid

Death Guard - pestilence.

Death Guard - XIV Legion.

HiZseH6.jpg

I have been getting a little itch for some time now. Almost akin to the beginnings of betrayal within the traitor legions. An itch that has been steadily gaining momentum to this point. I am starting the XIV legion.

Cheers Gareth. Your own Death Guard are a contributing factor to this project.

I am not overly keen or enamoured with the plague 40k aspect of the legion. I have always been drawn to their simple yet striking colour scheme and armour insignia.

As such my Death Guard will be taken from just before the horus heresy when they were loyal to the imperium fighting in it's great crusade. They will be grubby and dirty with lots of grease, grim, dirt and corrosion to their armour thus reflecting the tones of black, brown, orange and blue.

It's a good reason for me to use pigments more. Rusts, soot and earth coloured powders. I also want to start using and learn to use some of the citadel and other manufacturers technical products to create grease and water effects for example.

I am starting to purchase some DG bits to add to my bits box. I already have an assembled and undercoated glaive and contemptor dreadnought.

Watch this space.....

I am not overly keen or enamoured with the plague 40k aspect of the legion. I have always been drawn to their simple yet striking colour scheme and armour insignia.

You have surprised me, I thought by the title you were going for a late Heresy Death Guard Army, with a strong Nurgle influence. 

You have surprised me, I thought by the title you were going for a late Heresy Death Guard Army, with a strong Nurgle influence.

The traitor seed lies dorment deep within them. Yet externally their symbiant appearance is that of grubby, dirty, rusty, and corroded armour, hinting at their future..... Pestilence is to spread rapidly and kill large numbers of people indescriminently.

That's the DG in my eyes prior to their betrayal. Their seeds of treachery have already been sown deep within themselves and in turn that treachery can be seen all over their armour - almost the outside eating inwards to meet the evil within striving to get out.

That's the DG in my eyes prior to their betrayal. Their seeds of treachery have already been sown deep within themselves and in turn that treachery can be seen all over their armour - almost the outside eating inwards to meet the evil within striving to get out.

I enjoy sowing my seed  :rolleyes:

Didn't realize you were collecting Space Orks as well.

They were my 1st foray into 40k. My old man bought me the box set of lead space orks that launched with rogue trader.. I used his airfix enamel paints on them and they were hideous!

I've been trying out various green recipes. Altering the layers to get a vibrant shade that I can dirty up with pigments but still leave areas untouched to stand out...

They were my 1st foray into 40k. My old man bought me the box set of lead space orks that launched with rogue trader.. I used his airfix enamel paints on them and they were hideous!

The good ole days eh, not a f@#king Spartan in sight  :)

Here we go with the first DG miniature nearing completion.

A contemptor dreadnought. Ive painting 9 of these for my Fists so it's only natural this guy is my 1st DG entry!

All joints are magnetised so he is fully posable and ready for multiple weapon swaps. At present I have not painted up any weapons.

I have gone for a dirty and grubby effect with accents of blue and orange. The green has been painstakingly hand/brush weathered with multiple layers of damage painted on. Bit of sponge chipping but not much. This style is going to take me forever to amass a sizeable force but the time and effort will be worth it.

I'm rather chuffed to bits with him...

hLnZ1y2.jpg

Looks positive. You going for a different style of army than your IF or basing it around a RoW?

Don't know yet! For now I am just painting some stuff I've had in bags up as the DG. I am thinking along the lines of an infantry and dreadnought based zone mortalis force. I may paint a tank for the sheer hell of it.

Thanks for the comments guys.

I wanted to do something a bit different for the bases of my DG. Think it turned out rather well. For now the bases will be more toxic and putrid than the actual DG mounted on them, a hint at what's to come for the legion.....

RzKgA4g.jpg

So much for the zone mortalis idea.

what did you use on the base for the water effect

This:

https://youtu.be/NqDzxLhHkR8

It's bloody brilliant. And this YouTube video shows you what you can do with it.

I used some gw Martian ironearth for the cracked effect. Once dry i airbrushed it with gw warrgh flesh. I then airbrushed a light highlight of gw moot green onto the edges of where the water would rest. Essentially a bit of osl. Once dry I then masked off the edge of the base with some blue tac to prevent spillage off the base and then just tipped a load of this on top!