m0nolith

Mastodons, useful or not

Now that the model has been out for a little while, I thought I'd ask the people who run them and the people who play against them how they preform on the battlefield, and if you run them, how often you run them.

I get that running 2 Spartans is better, but it doesn't have that smack that a Mastodon has. It's the definition of rule of cool ;)

Basically, iv been thinking about getting one, but I want to know how much of a detriment is it going to be to have one in an army, or am I blatantly wrong oh it's performance?

Mastodons are purpose built vehicles for creating great big sinking holes in the enemy's fortifications, Spartans can't do that.

I'll give you that, but how do they do in a standard 3.5k game?

I think they're a pretty niche vehicle. Great for games set around their purpose as G said, breaching the enemies defence and unloading your army into his front room. It worked well on his table with the big wall.

Looks aside, I think I'd rather run 2 Spartans. At least you can split them up rather than having a lot of points in one vehicle. Not only are you gonna lose blokes, or have a lot of your points stranded when it blows, you're also moving a big chunk of you're army around in one place at 3.5k. Easier for your opponent to just avoid it and what's inside it for a while. It's harder for him to do that with the 2 Spartans moving up each flank.

Or you could stop dicking about and be a real man. Get a stormbird and strike from the heavens.

Fuck that, I already have a Damocles that can strike from the heavens via Battle Barge.

Once. Stormbirds can do it multiple times while looking better than a Rhino chassis :). I'm with Mike on this one.

Please if your going attack wing do it properly 1x Stormbird, 2 x thunderhawks, 3 x Fire Raptors and at least 5 x Storm Eagles. Plus all the Drop pods and astra militarum in drop ships on top of that.

I have

1x stormbird

2x assault rams

3x storm eagles

2x lightnings

2x Anvillus dreadclaw

4x dread drop pods

6x legion drop pods

Next purchase is 2x Khorybdis and a Thunderhawk.

I just need forgeworld to release the wolves units so I can finish filling them.

If anyone has a Thunderhawk transporter they don't want I could be persuaded to take that from them. ????

I have

1x stormbird

2x assault rams

3x storm eagles

2x lightnings

2x Anvillus dreadclaw

4x dread drop pods

6x legion drop pods

Next purchase is 2x Khorybdis and a Thunderhawk.

I just need forgeworld to release the wolves units so I can finish filling them.

If anyone has a Thunderhawk transporter they don't want I could be persuaded to take that from them.

Holy smokes! Do you have a photo of all of that together? I'm sure I'm not the only person that would love to see it.

Afraid not bud. 2 storm eagles are looking to be relocated to another legion and are awaiting some white or red paint. Not sure yet.

Painted is,

Stormbird

1 storm eagle

1 assault ram

2 lightnings

1 Anvillus

6 drop pods.

Built awaiting paint

1 assault ram

4 dread drop pods

Needing built

1 Anvillus

All to be completed by December's Apoc game, and hopefully before FWs Wolves units are released. I'll put one up then.

I do have this, of the completed flight wing. The pods are just painted in Metallic burnt Iron to be used across multiple legions.

20161202_150112_zpsyfmq1gf7_edit_1480691

I have used mine a few times in 3.5 and 4K games and to be perfectly honest they virtually never make their points back. You are almost assured that you will be able to deliver the units inside to where you want to go but the vehicle itself has very limited firepower; the melta is exceptionally short range, the mini guns are anti air and the lascannons will hardly ever be able to fire at the same target. The flamers.... yeah, they will only ever be used as overwatch in all reality.

But like all Super Heavy transports you pay a premium for the transportation capacity.

Super heavy transports need a rethink at the moment, I know they aren't supposed to deal damage but as they stand the points cost is obscene. The Mastodon does the same job as a Spartan unless it has a breaching objective

Awesome! I don't have much of anything 30K yet but one day I'd love to own a Stormbird; they're great models.

Afraid not bud. 2 storm eagles are looking to be relocated to another legion and are awaiting some white or red paint. Not sure yet.

Painted is,

Stormbird
1 storm eagle
1 assault ram
2 lightnings
1 Anvillus
6 drop pods.

Built awaiting paint
1 assault ram
4 dread drop pods

Needing built
1 Anvillus

All to be completed by December's Apoc game, and hopefully before FWs Wolves units are released. I'll put one up then.

I do have this, of the completed flight wing. The pods are just painted in Metallic burnt Iron to be used across multiple legions.

20161202_150112_zpsyfmq1gf7_edit_1480691

I played against a Mastodon in a 3k game a couple of weeks ago. Whilst it was a fantastic model and looked awesome on the table, it didn't really make its points back. It killed a couple of attack bikes and a few tacticals. It also managed to immobilise my charging Leviathan with overwatch from one of its lascannons - very lucky rolling and shouldn't have happened anyway because after the game I read the rules and it turns out defensive fire only works when there's a unit still occupying it. But I guess this error was made up by my opponent only rolling (and failing) to restore his void shields once.

First turn I did ~4 hull points because it was pretty much the only thing on the table. Turn two everything disembarked, so for a while I was more preoccupied with it's contents, plus a load of other deep-striking and outflanking units that had also just arrived. I think if I'd continued trying to kill the Mastodon instead of the rest of his army, it would have done really well as a massive distraction Carnifex - not doing much damage to my army, but soaking up a load of damage and saving his more squishy units. But I didn't fall for that trap. Turn 4-5, I took off its remaining hull points by charging it with a load of Gal Vorbak. Turns out a rending S10 powerfist, rending S7 power mauls and a ton of rending S5 standard attacks can do a lot of damage.

Fun game, but with the Mastodon, it felt like my opponent was down 300-400 points.

I played against a Mastodon in a 3k game a couple of weeks ago. Whilst it was a fantastic model and looked awesome on the table, it didn't really make its points back.

Its not suppose to make it's points back, it's designed to get your troops through a wall. 

There is little point to using it in a standard game (brilliant in it's primary role, wank for anything else).  

Tried using mine against 2 bastions, was playing in 8th against a Daemon army, the Mastodon traveled literally 10 inches total and was destroyed. Looked REALLY cool though. It was in for the wrong legion though, used it for Iron Hands as its in the rust/primed/steel stage before it gets painted up for Death Guard and weathered to hell.