Graham (Grazer) Sanders

Occurances of 'Imperial Guard' Vehicles in 30k Fluff

Hi all,

I'm starting to plan a fan-made 'Imperial Army' fandex for the 30k era, and I'm at the stage where I'm thinking about which vehicles (tanks, transports, flyers etc) are era-specific.

I would be grateful if anyone could post here any vehicles that they have read about, either in the Black Books or in the HH novel series, so that I can base the units in my fandex on 'hard fluff' as opposed to personal choice/preference.

Cheers!

Graham S.

Here's a starting point:

Leman Russ (all variants as far as I'm aware)

Scout Sentinels

Basilisk

Medusa

Gorgon

Bombard

All Baneblade variants

Malcador (all apart from the Defender version)

Thanks for the info, Penddraig. I have the Red Books so I'm up to speed with the vehicles that the SA and Auxilia use, but I'm curious as to what other vehicles may have been mentioned in passing in the 'fluff'?

I'm sure I read about Valkyries in one of the HH novels - do you remember that?

I'll check my old IA books tonight as they often have bits on when STCs were re-found etc etc (e.g. I was re-reading the IA Macharius fluff last night and it strongly suggested that the STC wasn't recovered until well after the heresy)

I think the main ones which I *don't* remember in the 30k fluff which are in 40k are the chimera chassis (obvs the big one) and the valkyire (and obvs the newer taurus (?) - the silly stormtrooper one)

Also no specific mention of the centaur, crassus chassis, marauder (which is a bit weird, but then in the 40k fluff many other imperial plane types are referenced which have never been seen in game), vultures, taurox (the elisyan light vehicles)

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the comments - I'm especially intrigued by the notion of Chimera APC's existing in the 31st millennium. That gives Guard players a chance to use some of their '40k' models on an Imperial Army on 30k games.

I am planning on using Chimeras as Survivors of the Dark Age Rhinos for my Krieg. I'll give it a stormbolter in place of the multi-laser and not glue the lasguns in the holes. It'll be a Rhino with a pintle Heavy Bolter.

That's my thought too - ditto! Chimera chassis' counting as Rhinos is a perfectly acceptable alternative, and as the novels portray, absolutely fluffy too.

I run Squats in 30k using the Militia list, and as you say, 'Survivors of the Dark Age' gives us the opportunity to use plenty of Rhinos (or our counts-as Chimeras) in our forces.

I'll be happy to have a reason to field some of my dozen or so chassis' at long last!

The Imperial army also fielded other locally built engines of war that can be fielded using rules of Macharius Variants and Crassus and it's variants.(Which could also be fielded by marines because they are mentioned in the Alternative LOW list in the updated black books.

Centaurs and Chimeras are mentioned in Legion, and im pretty sure Valkyries and vultures are as well. In IA 1 it's mentioned that Land Raiders didn't become the sole territory of space marines until after the heresy was over.