Mounty_chris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 22 April 2017 - 01:06 PM

https://www.warhamme...tions-answered/

Horus heresy stays 7th until further notice.

Free core rules

All codexes invalid.
  • GreenOakSteve, BBF, Curtishox and 2 others like this

#2 ThePrince

ThePrince

Charming Royalty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • LocationLincoln, Uk

Posted 22 April 2017 - 01:13 PM

I'm so glad theyve stipulated that HH stays in 7th, simply because it stops any rediculous panic/reassures us that it is going to be treated as a separate system and audience.
  • BBF likes this

signature_zpsxbcopuqr.png

#3 Mordian7th

Mordian7th

Ordo Moderatus

• Moderators
  • 5,380 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO USA

Posted 22 April 2017 - 01:17 PM

Indeed, definitely heads off some concerns. I will say I'm rather interested to see/play the new rules (may mean I might dust off the 40k armies) but did breathe a sigh of relief to hear the heresy will remain 7th ed for the time being.
  • squirrelsrage likes this

Mordian 7th Regiment - Polluting the blogosphere since 0.273.009/M03 ;)

#4 Zeratil

Zeratil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 01:23 PM

Personally I'm kind of sad that HH won't be going over to the new edition for the forseeable future, if only because the goals of the new system sound worthwhile - it's not like 7th edition is ultimately a very good game system. It's saved by FW doing better rules for Heresy certainly but I think at least some of the things AoS has seen, an importantly the attitude behind them of more engagement, listening and reacting to feedback etc. Would be equally valuable for 30k.

We play a fair bit of mixed play as well, with legion lists going up against various Xenos and Daemons, which means we'll have to decide between the two systems which isn't going to please anyone, especially those who only have a 30k or a 40k army.

• Cobra6 likes this

#5 Penddraig

Penddraig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,074 posts
  • LocationArlesey, Bedfordshire

Posted 22 April 2017 - 01:37 PM

Keeping HH as a 7th edition ruleset does underline the fact it is a supplement and not designed for cross-timeline play. Daemons are Book 8 so that addresses those rules to some extant although I think FW did mention the core army list was the codex so that will need some thought.

This is following the AoS model - which has been successful despite what a lot of the online community has stated. Interesting times ahead - I still think Warhammer Fest is going to be a very interesting event this year...
  • BBF likes this
"Let us speak now of the death of kings..." - Richard II
Sons of Horus 131st Company "The Kingslayers" http://aus30k.com/30...itle=L-XVI-3752
"Better to reign in Hell then serve in Heaven!" - John Milton, Paradise Lost

#6 Mike French

Mike French

Ordo Moderatus

• Moderators
  • 10,837 posts
  • LocationSalisbury, Wiltshie, UK

Posted 22 April 2017 - 01:44 PM

Im hoping this means that FW are gonna do their own rule system for the game. Forgeworld may have been given free reign on writing their own "supliment" game rules.

If be very happy with that.
  • Meatgrinder, Gizur, GreenOakSteve and 1 other like this

#7 chrumchrum

chrumchrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationPoznań, Poland

Posted 22 April 2017 - 01:50 PM

I will wait and see what the new starter set will be like. Also wonder how the rules will be. If fun and less bloated, I will play them :) Also wonder what will FW come up with.

#8 sol_invictus

sol_invictus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 22 April 2017 - 01:54 PM

It seems unlikely that 30k will get it's own ruleset but at least things stay the same for the time being. 

#9 jimmyp

jimmyp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • LocationEssex

Posted 22 April 2017 - 02:01 PM

Im hoping this means that FW are gonna do their own rule system for the game. Forgeworld may have been given free reign on writing their own "supliment" game rules.

If be very happy with that.

Same here mate 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

#10 m0nolith

m0nolith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Canada

Posted 22 April 2017 - 02:07 PM

I don't expect 30k to stay 7th ed for long.
Eventually it too is going to go 8th, but it's good to hear that GW is giving FW some actual time to get a grasp on things.

Formerly known as Proximo

gallery_86352_12089_1713.jpg

Instagram : m0nolith_

#11 Frag

Frag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 02:10 PM

Personally might see what the new rules are and take some of that into our own games.. 7th is a little slow and cumbersome, so more play and less rulebook search would suit me

• Cobra6, Plasma and GreenOakSteve like this

I'm trying to paint mechanicum: http://heresy30k.inv...rip-mechanicum/
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/fragmini/

30k News and Projects: https://fragplasma.blogspot.co.uk/

#12 Raglan

Raglan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,735 posts
  • LocationMonmouthshire

Posted 22 April 2017 - 02:15 PM

**A few of you might be wondering how the new edition of Warhammer 40,000 affects Forge World’s Horus Heresy rules and army lists. Well, for the moment, it won’t! You can carry on using the existing Warhammer 40,000 ruleset for your Horus Heresy games.

This is GW bullshit, I will eat my Raven Guard Thunderhawk if Heresy doesn't convert to 8th Ed within 12 months of it's release.

Besides the above, I am pretty much coming in my pants over 8th Ed emo26.gif

• kaleb daark likes this

#13 Marsekay

Marsekay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 02:19 PM

**A few of you might be wondering how the new edition of Warhammer 40,000 affects Forge World’s Horus Heresy rules and army lists. Well, for the moment, it won’t! You can carry on using the existing Warhammer 40,000 ruleset for your Horus Heresy games.

This is GW bullshit, I will eat my Raven Guard Thunderhawk if Heresy doesn't convert to 8th Ed within 12 months of it's release.

Besides the above, I am pretty much coming in my pants over 8th Ed emo26.gif

Surely it has to swap around release time, otherwise, how can you play with a supplement for an out of print game? how do new players get hold of the core rules.. (yes yes second hand etc, but thats not the point)

#14 Raglan

Raglan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,735 posts
  • LocationMonmouthshire

Posted 22 April 2017 - 02:23 PM

Surely it has to swap around release time, otherwise, how can you play with a supplement for an out of print game? how do new players get hold of the core rules.. (yes yes second hand etc, but thats not the point)

GW is just attempting to soften the blow for the hit on the big black books, which are still going to be great for the fluff of course. 

• Thyrkill likes this

#15 Penddraig

Penddraig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,074 posts
  • LocationArlesey, Bedfordshire

Posted 22 April 2017 - 02:47 PM

That's it though isn't it. If you are playing for the rules alone, you buy the Red Books - these can be re-released in whatever format army lists will be in 8th. Black Books are predominately for fluff and the campaigns - these can be adjusted for whatever rules you are playing.

The key phrase is, 'at the moment'. Of course it'll change - probably within a year - because GW can't sustain printing of an obselete set of rules; its more difficult to get new players involved which goes against the value of BaC and BoP. However, it does give FW a chance to get rules up to do date for 8th, remember the basis are marines so the key rules are done already, it's just the subtle differences between 40k and 30k that will need to be tweaked. Just be prepared for a heavy delay to Book 8. Its only Dark Angels and Blood Angels though so a delay won't matter ;).
  • McMurphy likes this
"Let us speak now of the death of kings..." - Richard II
Sons of Horus 131st Company "The Kingslayers" http://aus30k.com/30...itle=L-XVI-3752
"Better to reign in Hell then serve in Heaven!" - John Milton, Paradise Lost

#16 Metzombie

Metzombie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 02:51 PM

I'm so glad theyve stipulated that HH stays in 7th, simply because it stops any rediculous panic/reassures us that it is going to be treated as a separate system and audience.

For me it is the complet opposit. At the moment I am the only one in my club with a HH army. That means untill FW brings an update I can not play anymore.
  • nziv likes this

#17 nziv

nziv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:25 PM

I'd wager that within 6 months of release (or end of 2017) HH will be shifted to new ruleset.

From a game perspective it's likely a good thing and for fluffy players shouldn't be that big an issue I hope(assuming ruleset is ok).

I seriously doubt that HH will be allowed to be an entirely separate ruleset. 

#18 Raglan

Raglan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,735 posts
  • LocationMonmouthshire

Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:32 PM

I agree with you mate, but I seriously doubt GW would give FW a freehand to do this, particularly now that Heresy has been brought in from the cold and GW realize how much extra cash it can earn them. 

#19 m0nolith

m0nolith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Canada

Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:56 PM

I agree with you mate, but I seriously doubt GW would give FW a freehand to do this, particularly now that Heresy has been brought in from the cold and GW realize how much extra cash it can earn them.

I don't know to be honest.
It's all about money in the end.
There are a lot of bitter exiles playing 30k coming from 40k and clearly the rules FW has created appeals to these players (such as us). Giving the customer more of what he wants isn't a bad way to generate sales. I usually wouldn't say something like this given the niche that most forum opinions are in the wider range of a game (any game), but we seem to be the target market in this case.
I'm not saying that GW is going to do this, I'm just saying it would make sense bussness wise to let FW have a free hand in this specific case.

Formerly known as Proximo

gallery_86352_12089_1713.jpg

Instagram : m0nolith_

#20 Raglan

Raglan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,735 posts
  • LocationMonmouthshire

Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:26 PM

I don't think GW want the crossover between 40k and 30k to be more difficult. It seems to be more about opening up the joy of Heresy for all and not creating an elitist version of the rules just for those who can afford bucket loads of resin. 

• Cobra6 and Entropomancer like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Relentless