#1 Emissary

Emissary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationLexington, Kentucky

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:13 PM

Well, my friends and I have been playing a lot of Age of Sigmar and Star Wars Armada recently, but decided to take a break and get a game of 30k in last night. Incidentally, I haven't painted anything of my Blood Angels except for my apothecaries and the Leviathan's Cyclonic Melta Lance.  My Sylvaneth have gotten all my attention recently.

We decided to play a Shadow War mission last night.  We rolled up Bad Blood on a Ambush! setup.  I won the shadow war roll off and decided to be the attacker since it was fluffy.  We decided to put a little alien in a container in the center of the table which a rogue part of the Ultramarines captured and were trying to study.  The Blood Angels got wind of this so decided to raid them to kill the alien and censure the praetor that decided on that course.  

Polypropaline's Ultramarines running Logos Loctura

Legion Praetor with Thunder Hammer, Iron Halo, Digital Lasers, Bike and Mantle of Ultramar

5 Legion Command on Bikes with Combat Shields.  The Banner Bearer has a Power Fist

Legion Chaplain with Legatine Axe, Artificer Armor, Refractor Field

20 Legion Tactical Marines with Additional Combat Blades, Vexilla. Sergeant has a Power Fist and Artificer Armor

Legion Spartan with Armored Ceramite, Dozer Blade, Flare Shield

2 Apothecaries

Legion Master of Signals

10 Legion Tactical Marines

10 Legion Tactical Marines with Additional Combat Blades.  Sergeant has Artificer Armor and Power Axe

Legion Rhino with a Pintle Multi-Melta

9 Invictus Suzerains with 1 Thunder Hammer

Legion Land Raider Phobos with Extra Armor and Dozer Blade

6 Fulmentarus Terminators each with Power Fist and Cyclone Missile Launchers

Legion Sicaran with Lascannon Sponsons

IMG_20170419_182555493_zpsbkdrheuf.jpg

Emissary's Blood Angels running Day of Revelation

Legion Praetor with Photonic Blade, Jump Pack, Iron Halo, Digital Lasers

Legion Chaplain with Blade of Perdition, Jump Pack, Artificer Armor, Refractor Field

5 Legion Command Squad with Jump Packs, 2 Power Axes, 2 Power Swords, Power Fist

3 Apothecaries each with a Jump Pack

Contemptor-Cortus Dreadnought with Close Combat Weapon, Chainfist, 2 Graviton Guns

Dreadnought Drop Pod

15 Legion Assault Marines with 2 Power Swords, 1 Power Axe.  Sergeant has a Power Fist, Artificer Armor, Combat Shield

15 Legion Assault Marines with 2 Power Swords, 1 Power Axe.  Sergeant has a Power Fist, Artificer Armor, Combat Shield

10 Seekers with 10 Combi-Plasma Guns (Suzerains are the preferred enemy)

Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod

1 Legion Land Speeder with Graviton Gun, Assault Cannon

Legion Land Raider Proteus with Extra Duel Lascannon, Dozer Blade, Explorator Augury Web

Leviathan Siege Dreadnought with Siege Drill, Cyclonic Melta Lance, Phosphex Discharger, 2 Assault Cannons

Dreadnought Drop Pod

Whirlwind Scorpius

IMG_20170419_181701922_zpsojn0sr8n.jpg

The board is the jungle research station with the Ultramarines setting up in the middle (we hadn't put the alien on the table in this picture yet):

IMG_20170419_183136158_zpsbkxwnbzp.jpg

IMG_20170419_183117755_zpsl8dsooc4.jpg

Here was the setup for his forces and my Scorpius, Land Speeder and Land Raider (nothing was embarked)

IMG_20170419_184330659_zpsuwpmobw2.jpg

• Baal Triumphant likes this

#2 Emissary

Emissary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:35 PM

The Ultramarines didn't steal the initiative and waited for their fate.  Both dreadnoughts, both assault squads and the command squad all arrived via drop pod.  the command squad and assault squads then ran to spread out.  Both dreadnoughts disembarked from their drop pods.  The Proteus move up to get a rear shot on the sicaran.  Lastly the land speeder flew over the building to get a shot on the sicaran.  

IMG_20170419_191737215_zpskyd9flke.jpg

IMG_20170419_193113412_zpsuterkyfp.jpg

The cortus and land speeder fired at the spartan removing 3 hull points and shaking the crew.  The scorpius fired at the tactical squad with the master of signals killing 7 plus the master of signals.  The remaining 3 marines held.  The leviathan then fired at the suzerain's land raider and wrecked it in a flurry of melta shots.  With that the turn ended.

IMG_20170419_193248578_zpsvndqg2s0.jpg

IMG_20170419_193302157_zpsjubudxjd.jpg

The Ultramarines then moved to respond to the newly arrived threats.  The spartan pivoted and fired at the cortus blowing off its chainfist.  The rhino moved over and fired the multi-melta at the proteus and missed badly.  The fulmentarus terminators fired at the leviathan and wrecked it in a flurry of bad saves.  The 3 surviving tactical marines fired at the land speeder but failed to dent the armor.  Finally the command bikers and sicaran fired at the command squad killing both command guys with swords and one of the command squad with an axe.  The Ultramarine command bikers then charged the Blood Angels command squad.  One command biker called out a challenge with the Blood Angel chaplain accepted.  Then in another flurry of bad dice the chaplain failed to hit even with his rerolls.  The Blood Angels praetor killed 3 command bikers did a wound to the banner bearer.  The Blood Angels banner bearer killed the UM one while the UM banner bearer killed the BA one back plus his apothecary.  Finally, the UM praetor killed both the BA praetor and chaplain with his thunder hammer (seriously, I'm terrible at making saves).  With that the BA command squad was wiped out and the single UM command biker and praetor consolidated.  

IMG_20170419_200509168_zpshciexmtj.jpg

IMG_20170419_193930488_zpsnbhj1ufh.jpg

Guarding that Alien

#3 Emissary

Emissary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:53 PM

With the help of the Explorator Augury Web, the Dreadclaw with the seekers arrived near the suzerains and unloaded.  The land speeder and cortus then moved up to the spartan.  The Proteus moved to get a shot on his praetor and command biker.  one squad of assault marines moved up to the facility while the other moved to charge his praetor if it survived.  Finally, the scorpius moved to get a shot on his terminators.  The land speeder and cortus managed to wreck the spartan.  The scorpius missed the terminators badly.  The proteus fired at his command squad killing the last command biker.  This managed to make his praetor fail his moral check and ran 11" away.  This wasn't good considering my mission.  In a stroke of luck though the seekers unloaded their plasma into the suzerains and killed all 9 of them plus their apothecary.  The assault squad and cortus then charged his large tactical squad that had unloaded from the wrecked spartan.  

IMG_20170419_202606396_zpsnhrwcwtc.jpg

The BA sergeant called out a challenge to his squad and the UM chaplain accepted.  The chaplain struck at him wounded him twice but both were saved by the apothecary.  The sergeant then struck back killing the chaplain and another marine with his power fist.  The cortus and assault marines then killed 6 more marines while the UM killed 6 assault marines back (again, I can't make saves).  The BA won combat by 3 but the UM held with the help of their vexilla.

IMG_20170419_204253820_zpsokrwdkq8.jpg

The Ultramarines praetor started by rallying.  The tactical squad in the rhino then unloaded out of the rhino.  Both the praetor and tactical squad fired at the seekers killing one.  The terminators and sicaran fired at the land raider proteus wrecking it.  His 3 tactical marines fired at the land speeder but again failed to damage it.  Lastly the UM tactical marines vs BA assault marines and cortus ended with the tactical marines holding after both sides lost a few models.

IMG_20170419_204712579_zpsc4ka7hyz.jpg

#4 Emissary

Emissary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:04 PM

On turn 3 the dreadclaw flew over the praetor and fired bombed him but failed to do anything.  The seekers didn't have great line of sight on the praetor so fired at the tactical squad from the rhino killing 6.  The scorpius fired at the terminators and killed one.  The land speeder flew over and penetrated the sicaran for its second hull point and stunning the crew.  Finally the assault squad by the facility jumped over it with some being near the last 3 tactical marines.  Those assault marines wiped out the tactical marines and consolidated towards the center.  The dreadnought and assault squad attacked the tactical marines some more. Both sides lost more marines but the UM lost and still held.  

IMG_20170419_210155591_zpsqbu4awbw.jpg

IMG_20170419_211351295_zpstvywpvft.jpg

The sicaran's turret then rotated and fired at the land speeder wrecking it.  The terminators then turned their attention to the scorpius wrecking it as well.  The rhino tactical squad and praetor then charged the seekers killing most them out while taking no losses.  The seekers broke and were run down.  Finally, the cortus and assault marines broke out the tactical squad, ran them down and consolidated.  

IMG_20170419_212601455_zpsfnzbgaf6.jpg

#5 Emissary

Emissary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:10 PM

With squads getting killed the turns were going fast.  The dreadclaw did another flameburst on the praetor but this time wounded him.  The cortus moved up and finally wrecked the sicaran with his graviton gun.  Lastly the assault squads moved towards the praetor.  They fired their bolt pistols at him wounding him a 2nd time.  Finally, the large assault squad charge him and killed him before he got to swing.  

IMG_20170419_213623245_zpst8drdt1y.jpg

On his turn the terminators and tactical squad fired at the large assault squad and killed 3.  the rhino moved up and fired at the dreadnought but missed.  

IMG_20170419_214141487_zps7bur9v7p.jpg

#6 Emissary

Emissary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:13 PM

On the 5th turn the dreadnought moved to get the alien.  The dreadclaw took off and flew around.  The large assault squad charged the rhino and managed to wreck it with impact hits.  Finally, the small assault squad charged his tactical marines and wiped them out taking no losses.

IMG_20170419_214716460_zpsi7hee7cy.jpg

With only one squad left, the terminators then fired at the cortus wrecking it.  

IMG_20170419_214839093_zps3ys1y6gz.jpg

• Penddraig, squirrelsrage and Baal Triumphant like this

#7 Emissary

Emissary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:16 PM

We rolled for the random game length and the game ended.  The Blood Angels had killed 12 squads while the Ultramarines had killed 9.  Both sides also gained an additional point for wiping out a squad to sweeping advance (large tactical squad for BA and seekers for UM).  The BL gained extra points for killing all the UM HQ and for destroying the highest number of enemy squads.  Finally, I rolled to see how many points the BA got for killing the priority target and got 1 more.  The final score was 16-10.

• Natanael and Alaric like this

#8 Polyproline

Polyproline

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:00 PM

Despite losing in the end, I had a lot of fun with this game.  I felt like the Blood Angels had a big advantage by going 1st and deepstriking on turn 1 to set up favorable match ups.  However, lucky rolls by me and poor armor saves by Emissary resulted in the Leviathan and BA command squad leaving the field early in the game.  I still lost a Land Raider and 4/6 of my bike command squad to his units, but the trade was certainly in my favor and made the game much more competitive than I had expected.  

My big disappointment was the Suzerains and Master of Signal dying before contributing to the battle.  The Suzerains were painted fairly recently, and haven't survived long enough to reach melee combat since.  Emissary's disappointment was his oddball armor saves.  The more important a model, the more likely it was to fail his armor saves.  Regular troops saved pretty well, but characters and the Leviathan couldn't buy an armor save. 

• Natanael and Alaric like this

#9 Emissary

Emissary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:51 PM

My big disappointment was the Suzerains and Master of Signal dying before contributing to the battle.  The Suzerains were painted fairly recently, and haven't survived long enough to reach melee combat since.  

That was my plan all along.  I was going to paint them and then they'd start to fail.  Same with Gulliman.  I don't think it's a coincidence that I killed him for the first time after he got painted.   ;)

Also, those seekers are lethal.

#10 ROBOcaster

ROBOcaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:27 PM

I love seeing these and every time we get a new BatRep your armies are a little more painted each time, soon enough well see two fully painted armies. Great report as always Emissary.

#11 Polyproline

Polyproline

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:45 PM

That was my plan all along.  I was going to paint them and then they'd start to fail.  Same with Gulliman.  I don't think it's a coincidence that I killed him for the first time after he got painted.   ;)

Also, those seekers are lethal.

10 seekers -> 20 shots from combi-plasmas -> 19 wounds - > not enough 6+ combat shield saves and 5+ feel no pain saves for the unit.  I remember that the apothecary made 2-4 saves, but I don't think I made a single save from the shields.  

#12 Penddraig

Penddraig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,451 posts
  • LocationArlesey, Bedfordshire

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:33 PM

Nice battle report guys. Thanks for sharing.
'Let us speak now of the death of kings...' - Richard II
Sons of Horus 131st Company "The Kingslayers" http://aus30k.com/30...itle=L-XVI-3752
'Better to reign in Hell then serve in Heaven!' - John Milton, Paradise Lost
'What is it about my leadership that makes you think I tolerate failure?' - Ezekyle Abaddon, Black Legion

#13 Baal Triumphant

Baal Triumphant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California, U.S.A.

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:52 AM

You guys fight too much, brother. The Sons of Guilliman are our kinsmen and allies, so go find some traitors or xenos and team up to crush them ;) 

#14 Natanael

Natanael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts
  • LocationLund, Sweden

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:47 AM

Great report! Keep 'em coming. 

#15 Raktus

Raktus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:08 AM

Thanks for sharing :-)   as pointed out previously, its also cool to follow youre painting progress :-)

#16 Emissary

Emissary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:25 PM

You guys fight too much, brother. The Sons of Guilliman are our kinsmen and allies, so go find some traitors or xenos and team up to crush them ;)

Appreciated.  I do wish our gaming group was bigger.  There's pretty much just the 4 of us for 30k (BA, UM, WE and IF/AL)

Thanks for sharing :-)   as pointed out previously, its also cool to follow youre painting progress :-)

Thanks.  We won't have much progress for a month or so.  Still trying to finish off my Sylvaneth within the next month or two while Poly is working on his Ironjawz. The AoS group is much bigger and it's the current hotness at the store.

I just want to put this up here because I can:

17626319_10155260731644363_4524002897908

#17 squirrelsrage

squirrelsrage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationReno Nv.

Posted 22 April 2017 - 11:34 AM

Thanks Emissary! Great fight with great photos.

#18 Marcus Arias

Marcus Arias

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:48 AM

Great BatRep, two of my favourite Legions in action. Shame its not against the Traitors!

Ultramarines XLII Company: http://heresy30k.inv...n-42nd-company/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users