23 replies to this topic

#1 Zeratil

Zeratil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:00 AM

Small preview of this weeks releases on WHC!

https://www.warhamme...psychic-robots/

FWComingSoonOsirianContemptorContent.jpg

FWComingSoonPsiAutomataBoltCannonContent

FWComingSoonPsiAutomataContent.jpg

In the works of Dr John A Zoidberg "I'll take eight."

P.S Yes the title is an imperative. Love the robots, love them now.

• Bomtek80 likes this

#2 Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

The Long March

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:53 AM

Love the psychic bots, and that Dreadnought is gorgeous

The Unblinking Eye

warmaster_horus_sign_by_ddpuka-d32c72x.p

A blog about 30k & the Sons of Horus 29th Company
They shall be illuminated as to the error of their ways.

30px-Battle_for_Cambrius_Minor_Ribbon.jp30px-Inferno_Campaign_Ribbon.jpg

#3 Mounty_chris

Mounty_chris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 03 April 2017 - 11:18 AM

I adore these... Maybe one day.

On one hand I'm sad the Achea don't have the death masks that Kalophis' robots are described as having. On the other hand.. cool conversion potential.

#4 glossopovich

glossopovich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 11:30 AM

Definitely picking up that dread when it's released 😁

#5 Mordian7th

Mordian7th

Ordo Moderatus

• Moderators
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO USA

Posted 03 April 2017 - 11:46 AM

Definitely adding an Osiron to the force, and the question is how many of the castellax do I need? I'm thinking nine sounds about right... :D

Mordian 7th Regiment - Polluting the blogosphere since 0.273.009/M03 ;)

#6 Sigismund

Sigismund

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • LocationNew Forest

Posted 03 April 2017 - 12:53 PM

Yes! Glad to hear the hours Thousand sons stuff is finally starting to come out. That dread is fantastic, will be getting one. The castellax, it such a fan but will probably grab a couple eventually

#7 betrayer41

betrayer41

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,627 posts
  • LocationUSA, Atlanta Georgia

Posted 03 April 2017 - 04:01 PM

Even i want all of these

#8 Penddraig

Penddraig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,451 posts
  • LocationArlesey, Bedfordshire

Posted 03 April 2017 - 05:58 PM

Definitely adding an Osiron to the force, and the question is how many of the castellax do I need? I'm thinking nine sounds about right... :D

Nine sounds a good number ;).

These are gorgeous models and looks fantastic in the Mechanicum colours from Inferno.
'Let us speak now of the death of kings...' - Richard II
Sons of Horus 131st Company "The Kingslayers" http://aus30k.com/30...itle=L-XVI-3752
'Better to reign in Hell then serve in Heaven!' - John Milton, Paradise Lost
'What is it about my leadership that makes you think I tolerate failure?' - Ezekyle Abaddon, Black Legion

#9 Vhalyar

Vhalyar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:45 PM

Nine sounds a good number ;).

These are gorgeous models and looks fantastic in the Mechanicum colours from Inferno.

Lapis for me without a doubt

c2qgDwU.png

It's prophetic~~

• DietOfLiquor, Mordian7th, Excessus and 2 others like this

#10 Stephan

Stephan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 01:24 AM

That lapis is nice!  I'm going to get 5, just in case......

I posted a rules question relevant to them over on the main Rules forum concerning the interaction between Arcane Litanies (and what they REALLY do) and the Malign Unbinding special rule for the Castellax-Achea.

#11 Stephan

Stephan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:00 PM

They're up for pre-order.

#12 Stephan

Stephan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 06:14 AM

So, I'm curious is anyone is counting the Castellax-Achea as "Castellax" for the purposes of the Praevian Master of Cybernetica rule.

#13 Mordian7th

Mordian7th

Ordo Moderatus

• Moderators
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 12:57 PM

The way I read it, no. I'm of the opinion that the praevian would induct vanilla castellax, which would then gain the LA rule (overall possibly a stronger combo, honestly). The Achean variants are a different order of unit and wouldn't apply as I see it.

#14 Stephan

Stephan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:40 PM

That's what I thought, though it seems odd from a fluff perspective. In A Thousand Sons there is a scene with a unit of psychic robots being directly led by one of the Sons. That can only happen in the rules if we're talking about a Praevian.

#15 Vhalyar

Vhalyar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 16 April 2017 - 09:21 AM

From a gaming perspective, I'd say no because it's a Castellax-Achea, not a Castellax. It's a permissive ruleset, and the Praevian specifically calls out two automata types.

From a fluff perspective, you are thinking of Kalophis who was definitely not a master of machines. The other way around - he was an extremely talented psyker which made him a good fit for commanding the automata, but his responsibilities were much bigger than just that. Keep in mind the book is old, and back then the idea of Praevians didn't exist yet. I actually think the Achea pattern is much closer to what was descrived in the book than the Praevian.

As always, talk to your fellow players; faith in a rule interpretation won't protect you from getting thrown out by an angry mob :D

#16 Mounty_chris

Mounty_chris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 16 April 2017 - 09:43 AM

Or.. get both.. the praevian can join normal castellax and control the acheas.

#17 Zeratil

Zeratil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:24 AM

From a gaming perspective, I'd say no because it's a Castellax-Achea, not a Castellax. It's a permissive ruleset, and the Praevian specifically calls out two automata types.

From a fluff perspective, you are thinking of Kalophis who was definitely not a master of machines. The other way around - he was an extremely talented psyker which made him a good fit for commanding the automata, but his responsibilities were much bigger than just that. Keep in mind the book is old, and back then the idea of Praevians didn't exist yet. I actually think the Achea pattern is much closer to what was descrived in the book than the Praevian.

As always, talk to your fellow players; faith in a rule interpretation won't protect you from getting thrown out by an angry mob :D

I think it works from a fluff perspective, the control angle is covered by the fact you need a psyker within 24" to control them which I think is where the Kalophis description fits in. I would like it if a praevian could join them though but I agree as written he probably can't. Castellax are probably more effective overall, but you're paying more points as well as more inconvienience having to take a praevian or at least someone with a cortex controller. The Achea make a great 'I have 135 points spare' unit.

#18 Stephan

Stephan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 02:32 AM

Actually, it occurred to me that the red book has Legion specific rules for the Praevian's unit but no additional rules were provided for the Thousand Sons in Inferno. Upgrading a Castellax to a Castellax-Achea costs 30pts, which is twice what most of the other Legion upgrades cost, but giving them Asphyx rounds on their Mauler Bolters or letting the Vorax upgrade their rotor cannons to Asphyx rounds wouldn't be excessive. It looks like this was an oversight when they wrote Inferno.

#19 Excessus

Excessus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • LocationMalmö, Sweden

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:41 AM

Well, what do people think? Plasmas or no plasmas?

'In war, it is only the truly foolish who seek conflict and death purely for its own sake; the sword is a tool of the warrior-scholar just as is the pen, and neither should be wielded without first understanding that which the wielder seeks to gain from their actions'

Wisdom graven on the steps of the Great Library of Tizca

#20 Mordian7th

Mordian7th

Ordo Moderatus

• Moderators
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:23 AM

I'm going all Mauler bolt cannons so they can do double duty as vanilla (albeit blingy) castellax in my zhao-arkhad mechanicum list.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users