25 replies to this topic

#21 ggom

ggom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:14 AM

I haven't got the prospero transfer sheet, but i have found most GW transfers are difficult to work with compared to the Forgeworld transfers. I use a microsol/set equivalent even so. 
It may be worth the investment to get a set from forgeworld.

I have both the FW and the BoP transfers, and I prefer the scarab design on the BoP ones. That said the other icons on the FW one are nice for variation on other units, especially the jackal, snake and falcon crests.

For BoP transfers I cut close to the design as possible, and pre cut relief cuts before taking the transfer off the paper. Make sure you gloss varnish the model a day in advance at least, as well. Next:
1. Boil water, pour it into a bowl
2. Drop cut out transfers in water
3. Wet the spot where you want to apply the transfer with the warm water - I use a brush
4. Pick up the transfer and apply - if your relief cuts are deep enough it will lie flat
5. Adjust positioning, smooth out excess water from the area
6. Let dry, then apply gloss varnish

If you try to make relief cuts while applying the transfer, I find it super fiddle. I always cut before dropping the transfer in water.

Never used Microsoft/microset before. I hear it works well, but the above works even for banners if you are careful to cut close to the design and do deep relief cuts

#22 Murchankite

Murchankite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:00 AM

Never used Microsoft/microset before. I hear it works well, but the above works even for banners if you are careful to cut close to the design and do deep relief cuts

Can you explain in more detail what you mean by relief cuts? 

#23 ggom

ggom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:18 PM

Can you explain in more detail what you mean by relief cuts?

Cut pependicular to the edge with hobby knife or small scissor. For smaller transfers, one cut is enough. I usually make two cuts for things like shoulder pads. I cut almost to the center of the transfer; obviously it's no good cutting it in half. It's easiest to do this when it's still on the paper.

On a convex surface, the cut allows a sliver of the transfer to overlap on itself, so it lies flat. On concave surfaces, it allows the transfer to spread out with a small gap at the cut point. Either way, the transfer lies flat and it's not noticeable that it is cut because it is so thin.

I've done a banner too in this way on the FW command squad and it works fine IMO. Will post pics later of end result.
  • Murchankite likes this

#24 ggom

ggom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 03:17 AM

Relief cuts on shoulder pad (cut not visible, but transfer lies flat)

IMG 0124

Relief cuts on banner (cuts not visible, but it will contour to the irregular banner surface)

IMG 0120

Forgive/ignore my subpar painting...

• Mike French likes this

#25 Irongills

Irongills

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:53 PM

Wow...so I really need some of those transfers now. That looks absolutely amazing on that banner. 

#26 ggom

ggom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:27 PM

Wow...so I really need some of those transfers now. That looks absolutely amazing on that banner. 

The Tsons large icons are easier to make banners of. If you are iron (hands? warriors? can't remember) or space wolves and your banner has a solid background, you will need microsol/set since you have no room to make extensive cuts.

One other thing to be wary of - the mk iii command squad mold is probably getting old. Mine had some bad slippage and it was hard to tell what was part of the model vs what was the casting gate. I imagine the mk iv command squad has the same problems. Also, the detail on the armor (laurels, scrolls) were all mushy. If you can get your banners elsewhere might be a good idea. 

I imagine the sekhmet upgrade sprues will go to hell a few years from now and be all mushy too... gotta get them when they're new.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users