Photo

Fluff question in regards to the Primaris Lightning Strike Fighter - Human or Astartes pilot?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 m0nolith

m0nolith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Canada

Posted 27 March 2017 - 09:11 PM

Who pilots these things, Astartes or regular humans (not counting the battle servitor)?

Formerly known as Proximo

gallery_86352_12089_1713.jpg

Instagram : m0nolith_

#2 firstsilentprophet

firstsilentprophet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • LocationAuckland, Eastern Australia

Posted 27 March 2017 - 09:32 PM

I would have to say astartes. Clearly the FW model was aimed at solar auxillia/astra militarum/imperial navy, i think astartes units need to have astartes doing the work. (I think humans in super heavy is also dodgy - pay the 15pts).

Theres a thread some where where someone adjusted the cockpit to fit a marine pilot. (I looked but couldn't find it).

"We are the greatest humans ever born – we are the flame of Humanity where the rest of the galaxy is just the spark. In centuries of warfare, against the vileness of the alien, the lies of the heretic, the foulness of the mutant, I have never known fear –" Sanguinius in the battle for Terra.

#3 m0nolith

m0nolith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 09:39 PM

I would have to say astartes. Clearly the FW model was aimed at solar auxillia/astra militarum/imperial navy, i think astartes units need to have astartes doing the work. (I think humans in super heavy is also dodgy - pay the 15pts).

Theres a thread some where where someone adjusted the cockpit to fit a marine pilot. (I looked but couldn't find it).

Thats what I thougth at first but there are two points that makes me wonder.

In the description it mentions its used by "Elite close support units of the most well resourced Legions", and Prince of Crows has a human character exactly like that helping Sevatar, albeit it was in a space interdiction fighter.

Theres also the fact that in the description for the Battle Servitor-Control, it mentions that it replaces the "human" crew.

Human being the extended human species or mortal humans?

#4 firstsilentprophet

firstsilentprophet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • LocationAuckland, Eastern Australia

Posted 30 March 2017 - 01:09 AM

Fair point....I found that tread any way - here it is: http://heresy30k.inv...nd-sons/page-11

"We are the greatest humans ever born – we are the flame of Humanity where the rest of the galaxy is just the spark. In centuries of warfare, against the vileness of the alien, the lies of the heretic, the foulness of the mutant, I have never known fear –" Sanguinius in the battle for Terra.

#5 likeAsir

likeAsir

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 02:21 PM

Astarte's, humans can't survive some of the g forces

*insert cool sounding quote about war to justify what I say*

-*insert name of dude whom said quote*

#6 Grieux

Grieux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:39 AM

Pretty sure Mike French begs to differ. In fairness model whatever you want. If you go with astartes just use the scout torso and you won't need to modify the cockpit.
  • firstsilentprophet likes this

#7 Mike French

Mike French

Ordo Moderatus

• Moderators
  • 11,298 posts
  • LocationSalisbury, Wiltshie, UK

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:26 PM

Just tint the cockpit glass with tamiya clear. You don't need to add a pilot.

#8 m0nolith

m0nolith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:01 AM

Its not a modelling question, its a fluff question.

#9 Mordian7th

Mordian7th

Ordo Moderatus

• Moderators
  • 5,719 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO USA

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:12 AM

From a fluff standpoint I'd say the default for the lightning is a human pilot, who may be replaced by a servitor. Most of the fiction seems to suggest that at least (Double Eagle, etc.) - The Xiphon on the other hand is a legion flyer and has a marine pilot.
  • Durfast likes this

Mordian 7th Regiment - Polluting the blogosphere since 0.273.009/M03 ;)

#10 Martinsen

Martinsen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen Denmark

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:15 PM

From pure fluff pow I say both human and marine, its a fairly common figther in the imperial army and I would think that having one or more of them ad-hoc to a legions forces seam very likly to me on the other hand I would say its also highly likly that som legion forces have the figther in thier inventory and dedicated marine pilots for them like the Xiphon.

If it´s not hard then you´re hardly having fun.

Why let Heresy get in the way of a good crusade?

#11 ROBOcaster

ROBOcaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:06 PM

Humans they all serve under the Imperial Navy section of supporting fleet to a legion.

• sol_invictus likes this

#12 sol_invictus

sol_invictus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:33 PM

Like Robo says, I've always assumed they represented fleet elements supporting Legions.

• ROBOcaster likes this

#13 Bitzforthebitzgod

Bitzforthebitzgod

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 09:29 AM

I'm considering doing all my lightnings and super heavy tanks in imperial army colours.
I can use them for any legion forces I build then. And also from a fluff standpoint, how often are marines mentioned flying fighters or driving tanks.
Even the storm birds are also mentioned having imperial pilots......as far as I'm aware. I've only read 5 of the HH books so far

#14 ArbitorIan

ArbitorIan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 08:08 PM

The description in the most recent Astartes red book states that it's too extreme for human to pilot - it has to be an Astartes or some sort of hard wired servitor.

The Magos who invented this 'Primaris' version consider this a failure of the flesh and won't change it. However, after the heresy a lower powered version is developed which humans can safely pilot.
  • Still standing likes this

#15 Penddraig

Penddraig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,450 posts
  • LocationArlesey, Bedfordshire

Posted 22 April 2017 - 08:30 PM

'Infantry does the dying; Fleet does the flying'.
  • bluntblade, Thoth and Bitzforthebitzgod like this
'Let us speak now of the death of kings...' - Richard II
Sons of Horus 131st Company "The Kingslayers" http://aus30k.com/30...itle=L-XVI-3752
'Better to reign in Hell then serve in Heaven!' - John Milton, Paradise Lost
'What is it about my leadership that makes you think I tolerate failure?' - Ezekyle Abaddon, Black Legion

#16 Thoth

Thoth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 05:30 AM

I cannot speak for other Legions but the XVth is mentioned (In Book VII Inferno) as having an air corp that had specially modified aircraft to capitalize off of their psychic powers to increase their effectiveness. They were noted as flying some Primaris-Lightning Strike Fighters (page 46) during the defense of Prospero (though the legion had a preference for the use of fighter-interceptors such as the Xiphon). The only other Lightnings mentioned in the defense of Prospero were noted as being modified and flown by normal humans of the Prosperine Airguard (page 38).

I do not know if this helps at all...

• Baal Triumphant likes this

"In war, it is only the truly foolish who seek conflict and death purely for its own sake; the sword is a tool of the warrior-scholar just as the pen, and neither should be wielded without first understanding that which the wielder seeks to gain from their actions." - Wisdom graven on the steps of the Great Library of Tizca

"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Ahzek Ahriman

"Seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill." - Gildor Inglorion of the House of Finrod, Three is Company

"Everybody has opinions: I have them, you have them. And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, that’s horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, it’s nothing. It’s just bibble-babble. It’s like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." - Harlan Ellison

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” - Marcus Aurelius

"History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon." - Attributed to Napoleon Bonaparte

"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot." - Groucho Marx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users