Deadkitten

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 18 February 2017 - 06:34 PM

As long as your guys are carrying chainaxes, include whatever you like! :D

Hmmm.... Easier said than done. In fact, I had avoided doing World Eaters precisely because of the chainaxe problem.  Once I had committed I knew it was a problem that needed to be solved before I could get anywhere.  Unfortunately, I didn't find much in the way of tutorials.  After all, monkey see, monkey does.  So in the interest of internet posterity i'll present how I went about tackling the problem of Chainaxes.

When Calth dropped my two buddies said,"Hey, you've still got your Marines from back in the day, right?"  Why yes I did.  It was truly a get the band back together moment.  A few games later, some light credit card abuse, and I had some 60 or 70 Calth MK IVs.  In addition, I had discovered the bitz sites, which, while not around in the late 90s/early aughts, I always knew was a good idea.  I picked up right where I had left off and ordered a pile of MK VII CCWs, and specifically pistols.

Once I decided to do WEs (I'll miss you Templar Brethren!), I knew I need the axes.  As with everything, it was a question of Time and/or Money and/or Quality.  I could only have 2.  I immediately discarded building them from scratch or messing around with 3D printing.  That meant buying them.  I bought a little from everyone for my first run.

Here are the Forge World ones.  They are pretty stock and probably what most people think of when they think of Chainaxes, reasonably priced and available.  I hear FW will bundle them with other WE bits if that's your jam.  I think they might have some with the hands?

gallery_4879_469_42555.jpg

Anvil Industries definitely has them both with and without hands.  They are not as detailed but a tad cheaper.  Unfortunately they are also just in the one style.

gallery_4879_469_303419.jpg

Kromlech has some truly beautiful bits and the Chainaxes are no exception.   A tad more expensive if only in that I wanted to reserve the double headed axes for Sgts.

gallery_4879_469_619948.jpg

The plan was to use all the pistol hands and pin the axes in.  Just gluing them would probably be OK for the anvil industries axes due the better glue joint but nothing is worse than shoving 10 guys into a dog pile only to have an axe break off.  Give it up, you'll never find it.  Now stupid Bob is only wounding on 4s because he lost his axe :angry:
  • xenite likes this

#2 Deadkitten

Deadkitten

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 18 February 2017 - 06:34 PM

First was shaving off the pistols. I like that the MK VIIs have that wrist bracelet thing. It makes for a clear delineation with no clean up. And for anyone that says "But those are MK VIIs and not suitable for 30K," we can always step outside and continue the conversation.

gallery_4879_469_1010759.jpg

First up were the Anvil Industries since they were the simplest. Pinning the pistol arms was easy. Unfortunately I snapped a couple of the axes drilling them out. I like it rough. The other issue is to plan out the right versus the left grips and is one of the pitfalls going the sculpted hand route.

gallery_4879_469_877285.jpg

gallery_4879_469_626370.jpg

gallery_4879_469_508078.jpg

Pinning the axes with no hand sculpts was a pain. Not for the feint of heart or after you've had a few. To be clear, I'm not a big fan of anything you can't do after a few beers. They say you just need a little bit to seat the part (That's what she said?) but I think they'll be singing a different tune once FW releases the Ullanor book and they're trying to bash Ork heads in. No way these are going to hold up and I was bothered by both the alignment issues and the gaps.

gallery_4879_469_1205024.jpg

gallery_4879_469_858744.jpg

Next I tried replacing the entire axe haft with 1/16" brass rod. It's not as pretty but we're building World Eaters here not Emperor's Children. This setup is rock solid, though. It also went much faster than trying to drill out the hafts and the larger bit cuts much better. I'll end up green-stuffing some pommels though so that undercuts the timing a bit. But that's fun.

gallery_4879_469_973857.jpg

Here's the family photo shot:

gallery_4879_469_726815.jpg

I'll do up the rest of my axes with the 1/16" rod haft. After that, I'll explore the actual Close Combat arms from Kromlech to go with their axes. The Kromlech stuff is by far my favorite.

Next up is that Decal problem... :huh:

gallery_4879_469_959774.jpg
  • chopper008, Athrawes, xenite and 2 others like this

#3 Relentless

Relentless

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 18 February 2017 - 08:00 PM

fair play

I did mine before we had plastics so was so easy to just axe up the resin marines!

#4 Zazel

Zazel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationMidlands UK

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:36 PM

they've turned out nice, done them justice. I feel your pain with the ccw, I'm doing about 50 assault marines and the majority will have mkVII hands

#5 Athrawes

Athrawes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:48 PM

These look Great, With my Thousand sons staff and axe conversions, I've often done the same, replacing the shaft with brass rod, saves so much hassle, and the results, as your photos show are just fine.

Will you be bringing these guys to the Apoc game next week?

#6 DuskRaiderXIV

DuskRaiderXIV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted 19 February 2017 - 12:35 AM

But those are MK VIIs and not suitable for 30K.

#7 Deadkitten

Deadkitten

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 19 February 2017 - 02:53 AM

:angry:

#8 Deadkitten

Deadkitten

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 19 February 2017 - 03:06 AM

These look Great, With my Thousand sons staff and axe conversions, I've often done the same, replacing the shaft with brass rod, saves so much hassle, and the results, as your photos show are just fine.

Will you be bringing these guys to the Apoc game next week?

No, I personally hate the idea of running unpainted models.  I've shifted gears to working on their Land Raiders though.  Those might just be presentable in a week.

#9 xenite

xenite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 02:59 PM

Looking good! I can't wait to see these guys on the table.

#10 Mordian7th

Mordian7th

Ordo Moderatus

• Moderators
  • 5,721 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO USA

Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:07 PM

Lovely work, man - definitely worth the effort!

Mordian 7th Regiment - Polluting the blogosphere since 0.273.009/M03 ;)

#11 LunaWolvesLoyalist

LunaWolvesLoyalist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:57 PM

MK 7 arms are a necessary evil in 30k. Brilliant Work!

#12 ArbitorIan

ArbitorIan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:09 AM

Looks great! Anyone who can tell what Mk arms you're using is too close to your models... :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users