#1 montambro

montambro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:48 PM

Hey everyone,

I am starting a WE force and looking to have 2 x 20 man squads run in Spartans. Supporting this will be a 15 man assault squad. (Also a venator, lightning etc)

I have a few questions:

1. Is there any place to get some solid Horus Heresy looking jump packs for conversions without buying the 5 man squads from FW?

2. How do you normally run your squads? Size, weapon loadout, etc.

3. Target Priority?

4. Run them with a chaplain?

cheers,

chase

• RobertJom, Curtishox and FrankXV like this

#2 Mordian7th

Mordian7th

Ordo Moderatus

• Moderators
  • 5,721 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO USA

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:31 PM

MaxMini does a couple viable heresy-esque jump packs, couple that I think may be suitable to the World Eaters:

Iron Pattern

MXMCB054_ironpatternjumppac-441x315.jpg

http://maxmini.eu/ir...-jump-pack-bits

Bronze Pattern

MXMCB057_bronzepatternjumpp-441x315.jpg

http://maxmini.eu/Br...tern-Jump-Packs

I usually run 10-man squads with minimal wargear to keep costs down and use them to hunt infantry. The upcoming force I'm working on is going to have a 20-man squad which may be a bit unwieldy but we'll see how they go!

Mordian 7th Regiment - Polluting the blogosphere since 0.273.009/M03 ;)

#3 lill

lill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • LocationMalmö, Sweden

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:53 AM

There is also a 20man assault squad bundöe from FW. Great as you get lots of close combat arms and extra power weapons and such
  • Ancient Crixus likes this

#4 Ancient Crixus

Ancient Crixus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:19 AM

Lill you beat me to it - yeah I'd go for the bundle - also anv industry has really good cheap chain axes.

#5 lill

lill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • LocationMalmö, Sweden

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:22 AM

2. How do you normally run your squads? Size, weapon loadout, etc.

3. Target Priority?

4. Run them with a chaplain?

2. I usually run Berzerker Assault with my 12th legion. One of my troops choices is an assault squad of 15 men including 2 power axes, a power sword and a sergeant with a power fist a melta bombs, on top of that I run an apothecary. I think the power sword is a little un-necessary but I modelled them that way before I played so it'll stay that way. A better way to spend the points would be on combat shields for some nice ++ to help the to get where they need to be.

3. I run them as a SUPPORTING squad that can use their mobility to hold obejctives and pack a nice punch in CC, they are good at fighting but not a lot better than regular tac squads but if you get the charge off you can do some serious damage with the axes and power fist on thallax, thanatars and other tough targets. If you see them as this all-killing all-conquering murder machines you will get disappointed, after all they're just marines with jump packs.

I always make sure to set them up behind cover or out of line of sight as a big juicy infantry unit is a huge target for a lot of anti infantry shooting. I usually use them to mess up astartes infantry but try not to take on specialized close combat units such as terminators, suzerains or phallanx warders. I try to get my butchers to do them in.

4. If you run berzerker assault you get hatred across the board which makes a HUGE difference fro all your troops, that combined with S5 and rerolling 1s to wound on the charge is crazy and saves you the cost of a chaplain imho.

Hope this helps in fielding them sucessfully! I really enjoy playing with them when they function properly

#6 Liam Ryan

Liam Ryan

Liam Ryan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • LocationCairns, Australia.

Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:30 PM

MaxMini does a couple viable heresy-esque jump packs, couple that I think may be suitable to the World Eaters:

Iron Pattern

MXMCB054_ironpatternjumppac-441x315.jpg

http://maxmini.eu/ir...-jump-pack-bits

I usually run 10-man squads with minimal wargear to keep costs down and use them to hunt infantry. The upcoming force I'm working on is going to have a 20-man squad which may be a bit unwieldy but we'll see how they go!

I've got a bunch of these, they're ok but not amazing. Aesthetically similar but a little bigger. The castings aren't perfect either.

#7 Raglan

Raglan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,008 posts
  • LocationMonmouthshire

Posted 04 March 2017 - 06:07 PM

Run them at maximum size and with Chaplain, it's pretty sweet this way.  

• Ancient Crixus likes this

#8 Evil Space Elves

Evil Space Elves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:21 PM

I like running 15 with a Chaplain. They can get in their own way when you use the 20 man unit with Chaplain/Apothecary. The advice given to use them as a supporting unit is spot on. The times that I've been disappointed using them have usually been when trying to have them do it all. Using them to support a charge....WINNING.

12th Legion Project Log: http://heresy30k.inv...es-12th-legion/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users