#1 Wolf Lord Loki

Wolf Lord Loki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:29 AM

Good morning fellow Blanks

I am looking at developing the tactics needed to successfully use Sisters as allies and a lead force in their own right.

Firstly. Something that jumped out at me is that to field Sisters you need 1 hq per 1-3 units.
So as an Allied Detachment they must be the lead in a Talons force, with Custodes supporting.

They have cadres specific rules that would probably focus the way you play them. For example as i have no transports for mine im thinking Stealth for the cover save, should i be charging out of my transport Overawe to gain bonus to combat resolution

In smaller games you can take a squad of Excrusious Cadre to boost model count and lead your forces.

Given their special rules we do not ally well. If we support astartes then we lower our allies leadership which isnt idea thus suggesting we operate along the battles flanks picking off stragglers until we can get behind the enemy lines
  • diegosus, Riordiandib, AndrewAgodo and 7 others like this

#2 El Grey

El Grey

The Warmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 14 February 2017 - 12:03 AM

Sisters alone will be a very difficult army to play with. They are weak and with no real punishing armory.

Their utility is only at 12" or less distance and only if the opposite side will have some Daemos or Psykers.

So for the moment, only against Word Bearers and Thousand Sons.

We shall see in the future, with Angelus, what will be their real use vs full Daemon armies.

Byez

T16_Sons_of_Horus.jpgL07_Imperial_Fists.jpg

So we die here...and the Allfather's great dream dies with us.

#3 Wolf Lord Loki

Wolf Lord Loki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:46 AM

I agree as a separate force they will struggle but i think they might be useful support against any force with leadership boosts.

For example, i have played against Imperial Fists lead by Dorn several times. Overawe (+1 to combat res) and lowering the leadership of Fists will negate several of the bonuses that Dorn grants making it easier to break a flank

#4 Walnuts

Walnuts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:41 PM

Sisters alone will be a very difficult army to play with. They are weak and with no real punishing armory.

Their utility is only at 12" or less distance and only if the opposite side will have some Daemos or Psykers.

So for the moment, only against Word Bearers and Thousand Sons.

We shall see in the future, with Angelus, what will be their real use vs full Daemon armies.

Byez

Honestly, the only real weakness they have is that they have NOTHING that can hurt vehicles of armor 13 or higher in hand to hand and almost nothing that can hurt T8 models in hand to hand, and nothing that's anti-air without resorting to fortifications, AND unless I'm wrong, their only lord of war is that psi-titan. 

Units that are good in melee against anything I didn't mention above, check
Units that can cap points mid-field or in your opponent's side of the board and also linebreaker, check
Units that can hold a point on your side of the board, check (bolters aren't particularly scary, but considering the unit is cheap and fearless and can potentially have stealth, I'd take them for holding points on my side of the board over, say, a tactical squad, but probably not over, say, a solar auxilia squad)
Fast units (via infiltrate and deep strike), check
Shooty units, check (that transport they get can put out a really solid amount of dakka for its point cost, ESPECIALLY when you consider that it can deep strike and ram units)

Okay, so, how do you use sisters as your primary detachment? 

Let's start with troops.

1-3 of the bolter squads to lock down your side of the board / midfield and 1-3 blade squads to lock down your opponent's side of the board / mid-field. That's a no-brainer.

Now HQs

Take an excrutiatus cadre. They're awesome for the points. Give them a plasma pistol, adrathic destructor, and assault needlers and infiltrate them or deep strike them via transport for some serious anti-vehicle and anti infantry dakka. If you think you're likely to face psychers, the crossbows are great. S5 rapid fire is nothing to sneeze at already, but I just used a squad of those against my buddy playing 1k sons in a game, I rolled ABYSMALLY and still forced like 6 perils of the warp tests. Awesome. This is also your best squad to deliver a big fat eff you to invisible units. Invisible units are usually pretty strong, but hitting them with perils of the warp, plasma and adrathic weapons will put the fear of the emperor into them. 

Now, you need one normal HQ to lead your force. Go Jenetia Krole if you want to have an infiltrating scouting melee monster squad, other wise save some points and go the normal chick. Consider giving her a plasma pistol for some extra dakka when you infiltrate or deep strike her via transport. 

Elites - 

Oblivion knight centuras - these models are a great deal for their points, considering they cost about as much as the blade troops but are way better, they just lack the ability to cap points. Once you have enough troops that you don't think capping points will be an issue for you (and that should be easy to do considering how cheap sister troops are), start using these ladies. That jenetia krole WS upgrade thing sorta seems like a waste of points to me, but it's also sorta cool, so whatever.

Fast attack - 

Oh man, that beast squad is weird. It also seems pretty terrible tbh. Only thing that's cool about it is you get more models that ignore invisibility? I'd honestly only build one of these for the modeling opportunity. 

Heavy support - 

Flamers or grenade launchers! Stick these guys in the transport to have them flame on light infantry, or have them advance up the field with grenade launchers. The grenade launchers will be nice if you're expecting to see a lot of psychic units, but otherwise probably won't do much damage. I'd build one of this squad for coolness, but I'd probably only occasionally use it.

Dedicated transport - This thing is awesome. Tons of anti-vehicle dakka and a solid amount of anti-infantry dakka too. Deep strike, durable, carries your sisters. Use as many of these as you can, which is hard considering it isn't available for sale yet!

Also, now choose your trait. If you're using a lot of deep strike transports, consider stealth or over-awe (your leadership reducing abilities make you more likely to break opponents in melee, so over-awe ain't too shabby). If you're not using a lot of deep strike, go infiltrate so you hit your opponent FAST. 

Okay, now, what's left? If you're a purist who wants to use a 100% sisters force, start looking at fortifications with some AA or D weapons, because that's the only way you're compensating for the weaknesses I started the article with. You've got a bit of an uphill battle, but hey, in the fluff it states the sisters are a paramilitary force, not an army in their own rite, so YOU ASKED FOR IT.
If you're willing to splash in non-sister models, the custode dreadnoughts are GREAT for compensating for your lack of anti-vehicle melee, heck they're maybe the best models in the game for doing that. 
If you're going to add in a allied detachment, and I'm sure you have some allies laying around, since there's no way this is your first 30k army, just focus on things like knights, dreadnoughts, anti-air units, and air units, and you're GOLDEN.

Good luck, my sisters. I used an allied detachment in a game recently and had a lot of fun with them, so I'm def going to be gradually expanding them into a full force to work with my Blood Angels and Knights! 

• J Mc likes this

#5 Purge The Daemon

Purge The Daemon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:42 AM

For just pure sisters at 3k points j feel you have to take one of the following

Macro cannon Aquila strong points or the Primus rebout both take up a LoW nother a fortification but are the only way to get real anti tank in a sisters only army.

Otherwise the best allies are Knights for sure as they bring exactly what sisters miss out on especially the Porphyrion.

Sisters are probably the only 30k army which make bringing a double d warhound fair (unit is still broken) but it at least let's then kill real armour.

I myself am currently considering a primus rebout. (Only thing I dislike is needing to bring the tile with and what if it doesn't match the board...) (with 1 void shield and icarus lascannon it's actually the same points as a warhound but far less op)

#6 Arq

Arq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationMK45 / EC2

Posted 31 May 2017 - 01:46 PM

I really don't think the list is strong enough to stand on its own using sisters only.  They are fluffy and very situational.  

As has been said before, unless you're facing word Bearers or Thousand sons your'e going to struggle. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users