#141 Orso85

Orso85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationModena (Italy)

Posted 13 July 2017 - 11:28 AM

Hi, where you find the column of the base?

I love it!

Black Templar in the 40K

Sons of Horus in the Horus Heresy

#142 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 13 July 2017 - 11:45 AM

All of my resin bases are from Dragon Forge Design, www.dragonforge.com. He has a 'Terrain Sets' section where he sells all sorts of cool things and if you look in all the various 'themed' base categories he usually has some kind of accessory packages that match the base theme. Also, some of his knight bases come with pillar sections or other accessories. I believe the set I used is from the Sanctuary round base set and is the "Sanctuary Damaged Pillar Package" but there could be other parts mixed in because I basically bought 1 of every ruined pillar type thing he sells. All the parts I have bought are all just mixed up in a plastic drawer I have dedicated to Dragon Forge bases/stuff and when I build something I just dig around and pull out what I think looks cool at the time. :D

Hmmm, I might just work on this base and the knights legs a little this afternoon.

#143 Orso85

Orso85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationModena (Italy)

Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:58 AM

ok perfect, thanks!

Black Templar in the 40K

Sons of Horus in the Horus Heresy

#144 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 23 July 2017 - 11:52 PM

Finally finished assembly on my 20 tech thralls. They took way to long to assemble and required 2-3 blow drier heating steps each in order to get the arms fitted!
35278825814_d33e8e8d57_z.jpg20170723_194709 by nifty, on Flickr

#145 Raglan

Raglan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,008 posts
  • LocationMonmouthshire

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:45 PM

Finally finished assembly on my 20 tech thralls. They took way to long to assemble and required 2-3 blow drier heating steps each in order to get the arms fitted!

......and people say resin is easier to work with  <_<

#146 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:32 PM

......and people say resin is easier to work with  <_<

And EVERY single one of their guns had an air bubble in the EXACT same place on the barrel.  <_< The bubble was right on top of the barrel so I had to fill them or it would look like crap. . . took an extra hour+.  I could see 1 or 2 of the guns out of 20 but all 20 says that there is a process problem, at least to me it does.  They look super cool though.

#147 Mordian7th

Mordian7th

Ordo Moderatus

• Moderators
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO USA

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:48 AM

Sorry to hear they were a pain to assemble, the work will certainly pay off though. Looking forward to seeing them painted up!

Mordian 7th Regiment - Polluting the blogosphere since 0.273.009/M03 ;)

#148 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 31 July 2017 - 11:03 AM

So the Castigators legs are no longer just tacked together.  He is all glued up!  Clean up and air bubble filling is on going on the rest of the parts.  Its going to be weird painting legs that wont stand on their own but I will figure it out.  I think I have enough stuff in the airbrush booth to finally get the primer out.  Knight legs + base and the 20 thralls.

And I ordered a Vultarax-Stratos because I was ordering Blood Angel transfers/heads for my Primaris Marines and the Vultarax was already in the cart from a previous wish list session and I just clicked check out . . . yeah I could of removed it but I wanted it and I have a Dragon Forge base + acrylic rod flying stand combo just sitting here not doing anything.  :D  Yep, my excuse is that I had bought a base for it so now I HAVE to buy the mini for said base.  :)

#149 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 07 August 2017 - 11:46 AM

I am slowly getting the Knight Castigator assembled.  Over the weekend I got all the pistons put on the legs, finished securing the remaining column ruins to the base and got the 2 sub assemblies (so I can paint the inside) for the torso put together.  I also got a few random bits cleaned up but there is still a lot to be done!  I used a large 1/8 inch brass rod pin to secure the right foot to the base just to be safe (the legs and base are still separate and will remain so until the legs and base are painted).  The pin goes right up the center of the foot pad, it its visible if you look under his foot but it will be painted black so no one will ever see it.  I will use 5 min epoxy to secure the legs to base once everything is ready.

My latest forgeworld order has shipped and might just get here by the end of the week!  B) 

#150 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 15 August 2017 - 05:49 PM

All right, I just got word that my FLGS is going to be having an armies on parade event. So I now have some motivation to finish up not only some of my Dark Mech stuff but also my Shadow War terrain from the box set to use on a display board. :D Stay tuned for some build and other WIP shots. . . hopefully. :ph34r:

tonight I will be priming my 20 tech thralls and about 1/2 of my shadow war box terrain (that's all I have assembled as of now) today. And I might start mocking up my display board. First step is to cut out a 2x2 square of Masonite.

#151 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:04 PM

Weekend progress.  I got the metals/copper/metal highlights finished on the last 2 Castellax, Thanatar and 1 more random old metal tech priest.  Next up is some sponge weathering followed by lenses, basing and then gloss coat -> oil wash -> decals -> matte and then they are done.

Game wise the priest is going to play commissar for the thralls and the thralls will play conscripts for 8th ed games.  The thralls are all primed black and the plan for them is to just pick out details and trim and leave the armor and pants black.    

#152 Raglan

Raglan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,008 posts
  • LocationMonmouthshire

Posted 09 September 2017 - 08:03 PM

Come on dude, we want to see more? 

#153 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 10 September 2017 - 12:35 PM

I have not been painting as much as I usually do the past couple weeks. However, I did gloss coat my recently oil washed storm raven this morning. All it needs now is a quick matte coat and I am calling it done. It's stand is built and based but the base isn't painted yet. I also painted some black on the robots and the priest. Maybe I will get around to sponging them today, maybe not. It's been super nice outside hence why I haven't been at my painting desk.

And my Vultarax is taking a bath right now too. =)

#154 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:41 PM

Just finished washing the Vultarax.  I have been in such a anti hobby funk the past couple weeks I will call this a successful day hobby progress wise!   :D

#155 Arac

Arac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:14 PM

Awesome project.

#156 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 17 September 2017 - 12:25 AM

Quick progress shot. Need to sponge weather and then pick out a few additional details like lenses and final touches on the skulls. Then it's off to the oil wash process.

37270280355_835317a7c5_z.jpg20170916_200840 by nifty, on Flickr
  • firstsilentprophet likes this

#157 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 24 September 2017 - 01:34 PM

Yeah! I did the sponge weathering this morning! And now it's back to adulting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users