#61 firstsilentprophet

firstsilentprophet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationAuckland, Eastern Australia

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:04 PM

Take some snaps mate - i am keen to see how your force comes along.

BTW - i got me that green stuff tube maker thingy you mentioned above - brilliant! So good for making axe handles - better than the plain tubes i was using.

"We are the greatest humans ever born – we are the flame of Humanity where the rest of the galaxy is just the spark. In centuries of warfare, against the vileness of the alien, the lies of the heretic, the foulness of the mutant, I have never known fear –" Sanguinius in the battle for Terra.

#62 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 12 April 2017 - 01:06 PM

Take some snaps mate - i am keen to see how your force comes along.

BTW - i got me that green stuff tube maker thingy you mentioned above - brilliant! So good for making axe handles - better than the plain tubes i was using.

Yeah, the Green Stuff World tube maker is amazing. Have fun with it.

Quick picture of whats on the painting table Admech wise. So far I have been priming everything black to save time but this is giving me a slightly different off white color than I want so I switched back to brown/black depending on the parts. For the Triaros the brown areas will mostly be the off white and the black will probably be various metallics. Standing up front is the old tech priest I mentioned previously. I have the whole Skullz set and they will eventually be added to this force as needed. The one pictured is going to be a Datasmith in 40k.

Not pictured are the 6 Thallax because they are still in my gaming case.

33950579466_7dd08b5cc3_z.jpg20170412_070800 by nifty, on Flickr
  • Mordian7th likes this

#63 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:23 PM

I oil washed the spider Breachers yesterday.  All that's left on them is the base and clear coats.  :)  I might re gloss (by brush) some areas if there are any cool transfers on the Forgeworld Malinax/Taghmata sheets. 

This is my first time preordering anything from Forgeworld and I was hoping they would ship the Malinax decals so they arrive tomorrow but I have not gotten any type of shipping confirmation.  So, I guess they ship them on the day they are released (that's what they say on their website but I had hopes), then I have 7-14 ish days for them to get over the pond. 

And it is SO tempting to order the new 3 knight bundle. . . that's the 3 knights I want, all together. . . in one click. :wub:  But I am steadfast in my commitment to finish what I got before ordering any more Forgeworld.  :D

#64 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 14 April 2017 - 01:25 PM

Last night I based the spider bots with GW Martian Ironcrust and I like it much better than the Ironearth.  The Ironcrust gave a good looking deep sand almost dusty look with some cracks in the big dune piles I made around and on the cork.  Looks sweet, and once I figure out how to use the weathering powder I have it should look even better.  :)  Since the Ironearth takes forever to dry I had to give it all night.  This afternoon I will be giving it a light dry brush, paint the base rims black and then matte coat everything and then the spiders are done until I feel like messing with the powders and/or finishing up all the other weapon options. 

Note for the next set of spider conversions:  Paint all the legs the off white.  That one ended up looking the best. B)

#65 firstsilentprophet

firstsilentprophet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationAuckland, Eastern Australia

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:56 PM

Hey Nifty,

Question for you - if you dont want it polluting your thread, just let me know - i edit this out: Are you mixing GW Skitarii and Mechanicus model with your FW models? I mean here in NZ FW can be expensive (similar in USA i assume?), but some store have sales on GW stuff, i can buy at 25% off, and dont have to worry about import tax of postage. Will you run Kastelan bots, or iron striders etc?

"We are the greatest humans ever born – we are the flame of Humanity where the rest of the galaxy is just the spark. In centuries of warfare, against the vileness of the alien, the lies of the heretic, the foulness of the mutant, I have never known fear –" Sanguinius in the battle for Terra.

#66 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:41 PM

Mostly I have been going to opposite direction. I proxy my FW stuff as 40k Admech stuff. With Inferno put now the Secutarii are a thing so regular skitarii are in 30k now without the need to proxy them as any thing.

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing GW stuff as admech as long as it's reasonable. Like Kastelans as Castallax or regular old skitarii as thralls or my spider conversions as myrmidons for example.

#67 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:57 PM

Painted stuff.   :D

33910596291_3d79f4fa13_z.jpg20170414_195508 by nifty, on Flickr

34040316565_139d12e4f3_z.jpg20170414_194927 by nifty, on Flickr

• Mordian7th, Mounty_chris, Greenjester1134 and 2 others like this

#68 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:30 PM

All I have to do is gloss coat the Knight Acherons armor panels and then it will be ready and waiting for my Malinax/Xana transfers to come in. =) Hmmm, I might start cleaning up the Castigator once I get the gloss coat on the Acheron. =)

#69 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:21 PM

Question for everyone.  Do I put Malinax transfers on my finished 1st Knight (the GW plastic one) or keep it as is?  There are spots on its shoulders and on some of the weapons that would fit a 3 tailed scorpion or other markings.

#70 Mordian7th

Mordian7th

Ordo Moderatus

• Moderators
  • 5,257 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO USA

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:51 PM

I dig it!

Mordian 7th Regiment - Polluting the blogosphere since 0.273.009/M03 ;)

#71 Penddraig

Penddraig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,879 posts
  • LocationArlesey, Bedfordshire

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:00 PM

Go for it.
"Let us speak now of the death of kings..." - Richard II
Sons of Horus 131st Company "The Kingslayers" http://aus30k.com/30...itle=L-XVI-3752
"Better to reign in Hell then serve in Heaven!" - John Milton, Paradise Lost

#72 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:20 PM

Still no transfers. . . today is business day 9 of the wait. . . the Tech Priests are sad. :(  :P

Forgeworld says within 13 business days and I have been hoping to get them so I could finish up the knight this weekend.  The decal steps involve letting things dry for extended periods. Then I plan on adding streaks and other weathering after the decals are on so I still have lots of work to do.  I did not do any chipping on this knight.  The next one, Castigator, will get the chipping work on it.  I have been doing 1 or 2 new things painting technique wise to each knight to reduce chances of a disaster.  The plastic knight didn't get streaks and I didn't paint a lot of the little details.  The Acheron got more of the little details picked out and will be getting streaks.  So the next steps are: decals -> micro sol a couple times -> local brush on gloss varnish (Vallejo, 2-3 thin coats) -> paint on streaks with oil based paint -> clean up streaks after the oil paint dries -> gloss again to seal the oil paint and to just add another layer of durability (pledge) -> matte varnish. 

And somewhere in there it will get glued to the base.  Armor panels will get glued on before I do the streaks so I can get the streaks going in the correct directions.

Another question.  All my knight bases are the temple style that match my Blood Angels.  I was thinking about how to get them to fit in with my other Dark Mech stuff which are GW Martian Ironcrust over cork/rocks and then dry brushed and will eventually get some pigments.  I was thinking I could paint some of the Ironcrust over parts of the base and then use weathering powder in all the tile joints to give it a wind swept look.  The idea being that the temple stones are being revealed through the dust by the wind.  I think I have 1-2 40mm bases I could test on and then use the test base on a Rust Stalker or Infiltrator sergeant.  I don't want to waste any bases or mess up the big Knight base which is a really nice DragonForge base. . . or do I just leave my currently painted ones as is and go for something different for the Castigator? Anyone have any thoughts? 

#73 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted Today, 11:17 AM

Malinax decals came in yesterday. =) Sadly I decided to remodel my hobby room this weekend so I probably won't get to apply the decals for another couple days.

Over the past couple days I removed a few desks and cabinets and then built a new giant desk. I will eventually get a couple cabinets for under the new desk for storage.

33404907313_7fa0c10647_z.jpg20170422_165203 by nifty, on Flickr
  • firstsilentprophet likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users