#1 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:38 PM

So I picked up a Skitarii start collecting box 2 weeks ago and I am well on my way to finishing it up . . . in Xana colors of course.  Plan is to not have any twisted conversions to start off with.  I want to just stick with the base Mechanicus and Skitarii models from GW and Forgeworld until I get a decent army all painted up and then start in on some of the demon forge stuff later.   The idea being that the start of the force is before Xana went nuts (I mean found their way  :D )and the later stuff will be during the transition/after they went all super demon forge traitor.  Also, these will be the foot soldiers that go along with my House Malinax Knights. 

Mostly the force will play as a 40k army (30k is light at the moment, several club members are still in the building armies phase) so I am looking forward to the upcoming IA forgeworld book that will bring some of the 30k mechanicum models into the 40k universe.  The IA book is one of my main drivers for starting this but the biggest driver is the models on the GW and forgeworld side are super cool. 

This will be a slow roll project because I plan to build and paint what I buy before buying anything else minus things that will be used for later conversions (lets see how this plan turns out lol   :P ).  The plan after this start collecting box is to get 2-3 more start collecting boxes because it is actually cheaper to buy them than it is to buy the skitarii vanguard and dunecrawler separately so I might as well get a free magos.  This will give me 3 of each special weapon and some bodies for peltas/hoplites for forgeworld upgrade packs.  Then I will have 2 extra magos in hand to make into something twisted.  I am also getting a Cawl model so my initial plan is to maybe use the extra 2 magos from the start collecting boxes as some type of body guard for him.  Not sure what yet as I have to dig into the units and rules for 30k and 40k and figure something out.  Recommendations are appreciated.  :)

Pictures will be up once I get some things finished.  I am going to oil wash the magos and 10 skitarii from the start collecting box either today or tomorrow and then I just have to base them and matte varnish them and they will be done.  I am going for the end of the week to finish them up.  The dunecrawler is finished being airbrushed and is next up on the painting desk to get the metals blocked out.

Scheme is basically identical to how I did my first Knight.

• heacttacy, AndrewZpulejoSosukexzx, ThorekPt and 12 others like this

#2 Meatgrinder

Meatgrinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Location55765 Ellweiler, RLP

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:25 PM

Curious to see what you make out of that :)

#3 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:19 PM

I got a chance to look over some of the 30k units and I think Scyllax Guardian Automata would be perfect for the extra magos from the start collecting boxes.  Only problem is they are a min unit of 4 so I would need 2 more magos to convert.  hmmmm  Myrmidon's are another possibility but then I would still need 1 more magos to convert because the Myrmidon units are a min of 3.  If I go Myrmidons I could also use them as Kataphron Breachers/Destroyers depending on which type of Myrmidons I build them as.   Initial idea for the conversion for shooty type unit: swap out the head for a gun that looks like it goes back into the robes and have some kind of servitor type head mounted along side the gun and all the magos arms are supporting the gun or holding the secondary gun.

#4 Meatgrinder

Meatgrinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Location55765 Ellweiler, RLP

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:55 PM

Myrmidons are always great fun, you should make some ;)

#5 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:48 PM

As of today I have decided on making Myrmidon Secutors out of the spare magos.  Reasons are:  1. Secutors are Elites so that frees up the Heavy slots for the big guys and Krios Tanks,  Stock magos comes with a power axe, plasma weapon and several other weapons so I have a good base of bits to work from.  I also have a bunch of forgeworld grav guns sitting around somewhere so I think I have enough weapons to go around.  So it shouldn't be to difficult to give them 2 shoulder weapons and different heads and modify the axe pose.  I might not actually make them shoulder weapons like the forgeworld models but more side mounted weapons depending on how I can change the power axe around and how the guns fit and look.  I just need to order a Green Stuff World tube/tentacle maker and a ton of green stuff and I will be good to go! 

Weapon wise I keep going between graviton guns and phased plasma fusils so I will just try and dig up enough guns to magnetize everything.  I will probably even convert up some maxima bolters from left over terminator combi bolters just as a 'take em cheap' option. 

Once I finish up my current start collecting box I will be grabbing another and maybe even give the Myrmidon conversion a try.  I am almost done the Magos and infantry out of the first start collecting, just bases and a matte coat to go.  The dunecrawler is on the paint desk waiting for metals to be picked out.

#6 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:32 AM

Start collecting box is done less the matte coat.  But thats probably going to wait until I get some decals in. . . come on forgeworld!   :) Decal wise I at least want to put some kind of cool decal on the front of the dune crawler and something on the cloak of the leader of the skitarii squad.  Maybe a 3 tailed scorpion or a Xana symbol for the dune crawler and I will have to look closely and hold some up to the skitarii model and see what I like best in person.

On the build table is Belisarius Cawl.  I am about half way done assembly and so far I have 4 separate assemblies to paint before final assembly. . . the model is fantastic but annoying because he is all over the place with little arms and legs and random but awesome little details sticking out everywhere.  :D   

You can see the Acheron's chassis in the background.  It got the AK Interactice oil wash treatment at the same time as everything else.  All the other Acheron bits are, you guessed it, waiting on transfers to be released.  I keep looking at my Castigator (still in bags) and it might get washed this week.   B)

Crappy cell phone picture, everything is a bit darker in person.  I am not sure if I can adjust the white balance on my cell phone lol.  The dune crawlers legs are the same color as the knight chassis.  Just about all the colors for the vehicles/robots will be ported over from the knight color scheme.  And I just pick what guns look best for the dune crawler and will just proxy whatever in game, except for the anti air thing.  The next one I am going to magnetize so I at least have the option for it but really no one uses fliers in my meta (at least its very rare).

32335953915_77cbbf7500_z.jpg20170115_201937 by nifty, on Flickr

And I tried out silly putty for masking for the first time last week.  Works great!

31493863934_d9728ba0ff_z.jpg20170106_155933 by nifty, on Flickr

• Bauhaus86, Meatgrinder and Frag like this

#7 Unwanted

Unwanted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:51 PM

Liking that slightly greenish off-white a lot!

Brotherhood of the Shattered Spear - 05-04-2017: Assault Ram! Veterans!

#8 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 17 January 2017 - 12:11 AM

Liking that slightly greenish off-white a lot!

The oil wash I use is a 50/50 mix of Ak Intractive streaking grime and brown blue. These turned out a tad lighter than the knight titan I did previously. I think I had better coverage with the gloss varnish on these then I did the titan so when I wiped off the oil wash it came off a little better thus leaving them a tad lighter off white. I might try hitting some of the infantry with the wash again to see if the off white darkens up a little more.
  • RuneBrush likes this

#9 RuneBrush

RuneBrush

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationWiltshire

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:30 AM

Out of curiosity, what base colour are you using for the cream?

Twitter: @runebrush

Rune's Blog: http://runebrush.pa-sy.com

#10 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 17 January 2017 - 12:07 PM

I prime it with vallejo german red brown primer and then just use model air (or game air, I cant remember) aged white, all with the airbrush. Then I oil wash it with the AK interactive mix after a gloss coat.

#11 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 17 January 2017 - 03:54 PM

I hand painted on another layer of oil wash last night on 1 sketarii and the knights knees.  It darkened the white up just about where I want it.  So I will be giving everything a light 2nd coat of oil wash just on the white sometime this week.  I will probably spray the dune crawler though.  And I might be getting 10-20 more sketarii for cheap from a member of my gaming group that just got them for heads and the odd other bit that he wanted for is Astra Militarum.  Basically they are a perfect source of bodies for forge world upgrades.  :D  He also has some left over bits from a box of rust stalkers.  He says the sprues might be able to make 3-4 rust stalkers/infiltrators (its a dual box I think) because, again he just grabbed bits from the sprues for his guard.  These will be good bits for future conversions if I can get them cheap enough.  It there are enough parts to make 4 models I will make them into Scyllax Guardian Automata, heck there might be enough random pieces to do that anyway if I use the tentacle maker to make their 'legs' kind of like the forgeworld models.

#12 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 20 January 2017 - 04:49 PM

I changed my mind.  The start collecting box is being left as is.  I had everything ready to go and I took a look around my hobby room and saw my huge painting back log and just put all the start collecting minis back on my 'done' shelf and decided to prime some more blood angles and Cawl instead.  I actually finished airbrushing Cawl last night (metals and aged white) and now I just have a ton of brush work to do on him before he gets oil washed.  I am also going to try a different oil wash mix just for giggles.  Still all AK interactive products but it will be 50/50 streaking grime and rust streaks instead of 50/50 streaking grim and brown blue.  Both mixes are taken directly from a Dr Faust knight titan painting video.  Overall the new mix should be more grimy and a little bit darker brown.  I am going to test it on Cawl because that is better than trying it for the first time on the Knight Acheron.  :ph34r:

#13 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:27 AM

A member of my gaming group who is building a skitarii army currently has 3 start collecting boxes but plans to get 3-4 more. I am, of course buying all his spare magos, 2 now and 2-3 more when he gets his next set of start collecting boxes. And I ordered the Green Stuff World tenticle maker, a big batch of skulls and a few other conversion odds and ends from them. I hope to get started on some Myrmions and maybe some guardian automata soon.

#14 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 29 January 2017 - 06:33 PM

I got a few spare magos off someone in my gaming group and I started converting my myrmidon secutors last night. I will try and get up some progress/blue tack work in progress shots. I am still waiting on my green stuff world order so there will be some parts floating on pins that will eventually get a nest of green stuff cables holding them up. Most notably will be the heads.

#15 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 04 February 2017 - 11:39 PM

And off I go!  Myrmidon Secutor work in progress hanging in the back.

31869124424_4896e197e4_z.jpg20170204_183507 by nifty, on Flickr

#16 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 05 February 2017 - 02:43 AM

Kataphron Breachers/Myrmidon Destructors.  Its finally getting a little heresy in here!   :D Still lots of putty work to do because they look a little thin from the side.  So they will be getting a tangled mess of cables as their underbelly to fatten them up a little.

31901363243_afd5d2fc57_z.jpg20170204_213826 by nifty, on Flickr

• Coopervisor, Mounty_chris, MajorNese and 3 others like this

#17 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 06 February 2017 - 03:16 PM

I got my tax return in and ordered . . . well . . . everything.  :lol:

6 Thallax w/ 2 plasma

20 Secutarii Hoplite conversion (only have 15 spare bodies at the moment)

20 Secutarii Peltasts conversion (no bodies for them yet)

2 Castellax with bolters

2 Castellax with darkfire

1 Krios Venator

20 Thralls w/ las-locks

1 Thanatar with Mortar o doom

1 Triaros (Yes, I will be getting the cool rad missile one forgeworld previewed over the weekend B)

This lot should keep me busy for a while.  :D

Wants:

1 more krios venator, the new missle triaros, maybe 3 more thallax with some special weapon.  The Angelus book contents has me motivated to finish as many Blood Angels and Dark Mech models as I possibly can before the book gets released! 

• sol_invictus and Zazel like this

#18 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 09 February 2017 - 01:19 PM

Cawl is almost done.  I just need to do his base then pictures. :)

#19 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 10 February 2017 - 08:44 PM

Enough talk here is Cawl/counts as random Magos/counts as Scoria.  Right after I took the pic I decided to dry brush his base with a little GW Kindleflame and I like it much better with the little highlight.

Now he is waiting in the spray booth ready for a Pledge gloss coat (for ultimate gaming protection) followed by a matte coat.  Things to note, his little face mask and armor panel on his gun mimic the Knights face shield . . . or does the Knights scheme mimic Cawl?  ;)

I also have an order pending for a bunch of rust/brown pigments that I am going to be using on all my Mechanicum stuff.  I want to make them look like they have actually been walking around in the dusty dry ground that their bases suggest.

I am going for a simple, relatively quick to paint table top scheme for this force so I can get them on the table.  So far I am happy with the results considering how truly simple it is to do.

31982617454_84761990ce_z.jpg20170210_153024 by nifty, on Flickr

Pic is a little shakey but hey its just my phone.   :P

32671928702_7d3739efbd_z.jpg20170210_153056 by nifty, on Flickr

• Grey Area, Coopervisor, Excessus and 5 others like this

#20 firstsilentprophet

firstsilentprophet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationAuckland, Eastern Australia

Posted 10 February 2017 - 09:01 PM

Just beautiful. I want it!

"We are the greatest humans ever born – we are the flame of Humanity where the rest of the galaxy is just the spark. In centuries of warfare, against the vileness of the alien, the lies of the heretic, the foulness of the mutant, I have never known fear –" Sanguinius in the battle for Terra.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users