#1 Pitted Sliced Slayer

Pitted Sliced Slayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationUki NSW Aus

Posted 23 November 2016 - 05:09 AM

So I've been derailed from the majority of ongoing projects such as the tench table and my 30k Blood Angels something I'm sure we all experience from time to time :P. I'm largely not happy with the BAs as the painting was being rushed for tournaments that I ended up been unable to attend in the end and burnt out because of it so the vast majority will be striped back and done properly without rushing. But to help ease out the burn decided to start a SoH army with a few goodies and some must haves :)

To begin with I wanted to do Maloghurst the twisted as he seemed a good modeling proposition plus he unlocks the good stuff as troops :P

Maloghurst_zpsihit05zm.jpg

Maloghust2_zpssztcjo8v.jpg

The FW event miniature seemed the closes to the artwork I'd seen of Mal and given his broken body the pose works very well for a model planted on the spot a bulwark so to speak of, at the front the Eye of Horus watching his sons advance under withering covering fire, retreat is not a option.

I have more to do on him lots of SoH icons to add sculpting/filling gaps, I am in two minds about giving him a cloak. I've seen pics of him wearing a loin cloth made of a flensed Astartes so not sure where to go here, cloak or loin cloth?

• Guy, Alaric, Dustinthots and 2 others like this

#2 Mor_di

Mor_di

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 10 December 2016 - 09:42 AM

I'd vote for cloak, it would be really fitting to have a nice big cloak flowing in the wind behind him as he gazes over the battlefield. Very cool pose as well, i like what you've done with the gun arm.
  • Pitted Sliced Slayer likes this

#3 Pitted Sliced Slayer

Pitted Sliced Slayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationUki NSW Aus

Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:56 AM

I'd vote for cloak, it would be really fitting to have a nice big cloak flowing in the wind behind him as he gazes over the battlefield. Very cool pose as well, i like what you've done with the gun arm.

I have a Loken cloak sitting there that I was thinking of using. This really is a all purpose model there is so much detail that can have it tie in with a few legions, I notice he has Cthonian kill tokens on his waste so I'd like to keep these but there is a far bit I want to clean off like the loin plate and the skull on the buckle. I just need to find the time to work on him some more :P

#4 Pitted Sliced Slayer

Pitted Sliced Slayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationUki NSW Aus

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:23 AM

Back into the hobby after a short hiatus, still assembling the mass that is the Sons of Horus. I'll pretty much assemble the lot before moving onto sculpting then finally painting before the end of this month, I hope tongue.png

Work started again with a Leviathan Dreadnought followed by a Contemptor, I magnetised the arms and weapons on both dreads and even hinged the leviathans claw power unit so the whole thing could be swapped with another option.  I also felt that detail was lacking on the flamer fuel canister on the Contemptors power fist so I added a fuel line and connector ports.

IMG_0053_zpsrkzumv4y.jpg

IMG_0061_zps8aikqexf.jpg

IMG_0062_zpspoxqyi9q.jpg

IMG_0058_zps0gvpfwsc.jpg

IMG_0060_zpsnqezqpt7.jpg

IMG_0059_zpsmzkfzkjv.jpg

#5 Pitted Sliced Slayer

Pitted Sliced Slayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationUki NSW Aus

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:25 AM

I have also started on the infantry for the Sons and got 10 Justaerin Terminators done again magnetising the heavy weapon options. I also started on the troops and decided that they need to have their equipment on for wysiwyg and just they look cooler actually having ammo pouches, grenades and combat blades showing. I did shorten the combat blade as I felt it was too long on the model and shouldn't be as big as a sword.

IMG_0068_zpsgbezog2m.jpg

IMG_0065_zpspdar2iu2.jpg

IMG_0067_zpso9jka3bm.jpg

IMG_0069_zpsfmgonqya.jpg

IMG_0072_zpsknvvtdv9.jpg

IMG_0070_zpsjrv8894a.jpg

#6 Penddraig

Penddraig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationArlesey, Bedfordshire

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:25 AM

Nice work. The SoH are noted for using heavier combat blades than other Legions in the short story, 'Little Horus' but I agree they shouldn't be sword-sized.
"Let us speak now of the death of kings..." - Richard II
Sons of Horus 131st Company "The Kingslayers" http://aus30k.com/30...itle=L-XVI-3752
"Better to reign in Hell then serve in Heaven!" - John Milton, Paradise Lost

#7 Grieux

Grieux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:28 PM

Maloghurst with cloak

C829BAB2-2052-4235-AA60-7BBC01C808E0_zps

#8 rudijetz

rudijetz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,112 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Canada

Posted 14 February 2017 - 03:08 PM

really liking your conversions and attention to detail.  Can't wait to see more.

#9 Pitted Sliced Slayer

Pitted Sliced Slayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationUki NSW Aus

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:31 PM

Nice work. The SoH are noted for using heavier combat blades than other Legions in the short story, 'Little Horus' but I agree they shouldn't be sword-sized.

I was a little apprehensive at first about shortening the blades because of the fluff but given the size after shortening is still as long as a marines arm that's still a big blade. Plus it actually fits the model now :P

Maloghurst with cloak

C829BAB2-2052-4235-AA60-7BBC01C808E0_zps

Sold :wub:  I'll need to get the cloak to flow to his right to follow the dynamic of the model which shouldn't be hard as I have a spare Loken cape from my BA Praetor conversion. I decided to clean off the groin plate and skull on the buckle and sculpt on some flayed skin and SoH icons but I am waiting till everything is assembled so all the sculpting gets done at once.

really liking your conversions and attention to detail.  Can't wait to see more.

Cheers :D I can't help myself but I'm sure most of us look at a model and just think "If I add this or do that it'll really pop!" There's still lots to do so plenty of pics yet to share :)

#10 Pitted Sliced Slayer

Pitted Sliced Slayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationUki NSW Aus

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:53 AM

And I'm back :P and with a big update/data dump 6 weeks of assembly and sculpting to be precise O_O
So work on Maloghurst has slowed as I want to do a tournament that doesn't allow special characters or primarchs, so all the plebs have been getting some love.

So with the Marines and their equipment I decided that the pistol holsters needed leg straps so I sculpted 20 straps :huh: so a new thing to try and I don't think they turned out to badly.

IMG_0122_zpsucyrffdh.jpg

IMG_0120_zpsd5irirqa.jpg

I also decided that the arms on the Reavers and MkIV Assault Marines were lacking real movement so I gaped the shoulders and sculpted some flex joints. I only took photos of the Reavers but you'll see the AMs once their finished :)

IMG_0111_zpsuxgq9vpu.jpg

IMG_0109_zpswk695rxw.jpg

IMG_0112_zpsko5lybep.jpg

And not content with all the sculpting/filling I did something with the Leviathan Dread.

IMG_0123_zps9cnfqgu9.jpg

IMG_0124_zpskdbb2gxg.jpg

And I realised I done goofed with that knee Grimoire as it should have a top piece but I was rushing and it's already on the painting desk so will come back and fix the details I missed. Sloppy I know but these things happen when you rush -_-

#11 Pitted Sliced Slayer

Pitted Sliced Slayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationUki NSW Aus

Posted 03 May 2017 - 07:15 AM

And now all the painting, well what I've started, about 30% done atm.
I did cheat some due the amount of work and used a can of black primer on it all, well 2 cans but anyway.
Also ignore some of the infantry shot as there was another project I primed at the same time so it does make it appear larger then it is. Total tally of infantry is 20 Marines, 10 Assault marines, 10 Reavers and 10 Justaerin.
Vehicles to be done are Spartan, Glaive, Contemptor, Leviathan, Sicaran battle tank, Vindicator demolisher, Vindicator Destructor, 2 Predators ( Mars ), 2 Rhinos ( Deimos ) 2 Dreadclaws, Dready Pod, and a Xiphon. So a far bit to do :blink:

IMG_0126_zpsrnq0l7us.jpg

IMG_0127_zpspp3hz97y.jpg

Once the primer had dried I pre-shaded everything with Tamiya neutral grey then mixed up a sea green out of 70% Kabalite green and 30% Incubi green, this was the closes colour combo that I had on hand to match a old pot of GW Scaly green. I then highlighted the center of the panels with strait Kabalite green.
The result is a deep sea green that I believe will pop nicely with the weathering I have planned.

IMG_0131_zpsofwwhhyk.jpg

IMG_0140_zpsrmq69xsl.jpg

IMG_0147_zpspknqox5d.jpg

So much green!

IMG_0133_zpsi3wn9qjg.jpg

IMG_0134_zps1agtqa2v.jpg

#12 chrumchrum

chrumchrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationPoznaƄ, Poland

Posted 04 May 2017 - 06:54 PM

They look Great!

#13 Raglan

Raglan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,625 posts
  • LocationMonmouthshire

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:02 PM

Bloody awesome start mate. 

#14 landingshortly

landingshortly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 01:02 PM

Holy batman your minis look gorgeous. Do you mind me asking - how did you sculpt those studs on the Leviathan?

#15 rawrenstein

rawrenstein

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 01:38 PM

These are fantastic! I have around 20 reavers left to model and paint, and I've been trying to come up with ways to make them all not look exactly alike. I hope you don't mind me stealing your ideas! Admittedly though, I've never sculpted with greenstuff. (Or anything for that matter)

#16 Pitted Sliced Slayer

Pitted Sliced Slayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationUki NSW Aus

Posted 06 May 2017 - 01:48 AM

Holy batman your minis look gorgeous. Do you mind me asking - how did you sculpt those studs on the Leviathan?

The studs are from a Insta mold cast I did off the SoH Contemptor, this made life easy as I could make quite a few at once rather then sculpt them individually. I highly recommend getting hold of that material. I then inserted a 1mm bit of wire just before it cured and then pinned them to the body.

These are fantastic! I have around 20 reavers left to model and paint, and I've been trying to come up with ways to make them all not look exactly alike. I hope you don't mind me stealing your ideas! Admittedly though, I've never sculpted with greenstuff. (Or anything for that matter)

I wasn't the first to do it so feel free to replicate :) Sculpting with greenstuff isn't as hard as it may seem, well the simple stuff is easy :P If you haven't picked up any tools yet check Ebay for stainless dental tools, a 90 degree pick and a ball roller are the 2 I use the most and silicon clay sculptors. I use the #0 sculptors and the chisel is the one I used to push in the material to make it look like flex joints. And the sculpting tool from GW :P
Hope this helps :)

#17 rawrenstein

rawrenstein

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 12:52 PM

Your suggestions help immensely! Thanks!

#18 Pitted Sliced Slayer

Pitted Sliced Slayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationUki NSW Aus

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:02 AM

Update :D only a small one. So I've established that I like heavily worn tanks, you know WWI gone through hell and then got bogged in a mud pit :blink: I feel this style should be dubbed the Keef Richards, worn, beaten but still functional some how. I'm looking at you XIVth legion players :lol: 

So as it stands all the tanks/fliers/pods are at this stage and will get further weathering with pigments and oils as soon as the weather itself gets better here <_< 
IMG_0153_zpsscrllubk.jpg

Going for worn tarnished metal treads, the dust layer will hopefully take the high shine off.
IMG_0161_zps0c7sy2vg.jpg

And still need to do the atmospheric effects but oh so close
IMG_0162_zpsrxzjomfy.jpg

IMG_0163_zpsxdq3j1g6.jpg

A nice short post :rolleyes:  Will try and break the net with the next one :D

• Mike French likes this

#19 Princess

Princess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:22 AM

When you pre shade, are you just spraying at a set angle for the whole batch? Weathered tanks is the way forward.

Lovely green. How I picture them.

#20 Pitted Sliced Slayer

Pitted Sliced Slayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationUki NSW Aus

Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:06 AM

When you pre shade, are you just spraying at a set angle for the whole batch? Weathered tanks is the way forward.

Lovely green. How I picture them.

The pre-shade was done to the flat of the surface so no angles just made sure to avoid the recesses as best I could, I also applied a thinner layer to the sharpest edges so some of the black showed through as typically edges wear the most and paint fades from the center outwards. Though with the extreme chipping I think most of edge detail has been lost.
Battle scars :D we can't war without getting some scars!

I agree it's a nice shade of green :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users