#21 deFl0

deFl0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 04:58 PM

It really depends on your use case. 

NOTHING plasma based hits as hard as plasma seekers at rapid fire in a single turn of firing. So in a legion that can deploy them as such, they can be very good. This usually means in a pod, or infiltrating/outflanking in a rhino.

Naked seekers are very efficient as a AP2 anti infantry platform. 

Plasma tacs are great for sustained plasma use over the entire game. 

Plasma vets open up some opportunities for certain legions with outflank and they can often fill a compulsory troop slot. 

So in short, yes they still have a great place in the game. In my Raven Guard force, I use them all the time for turn 1 alpha strike, and they are the best plasma unit for this. 

With other Legions, your use might vary, but the scorpius bolt totally did not replace the single turn damage output and range of units that a combi plas seeker unit can absolutely demolish. 

Dirty Uncle Pete's Raven Guard Blog:

www.petehappens.com

#22 Mike French

Mike French

Ordo Moderatus

• Moderators
  • 11,298 posts
  • LocationSalisbury, Wiltshie, UK

Posted 11 April 2017 - 07:02 PM

I'm buillding a squad for my DP wolves. They'll be my hunters, just for going after characters, while my main force is close combat based. They're gonna be modelled with combi plas due to the scorpius rounds being heavy 1, I want to be able to fire on the turn they arrive. If they turn out to be crap I'll just use them as sniper vets. Same load out.

#23 Raglan

Raglan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,008 posts
  • LocationMonmouthshire

Posted 11 April 2017 - 09:07 PM

Plasma is a good loadout for this squad type. 

#24 Ripper.McGuirl

Ripper.McGuirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts
  • LocationRogues Island, USA

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:17 PM

I will echo that they are badass. Don't forget, they do get preferred enemy against someone, and if you can line up your plasma unleashing on that squad, you have a pretty good chance of doing 20 wounds. Rerolling your 1's to hit and wound is nasty with plasma. They can make a mess of just about anything, except for two wound, shielded terminators.

MASTER OF SIGNALS IS PULLING THE STRINGS/ DROPPING THE BOMBS AND WRECKING YOUR THINGS

My Alpha Legion Thread | My Salamander Thread

#25 Spudasaurous

Spudasaurous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 10:40 PM

I reckon the biggest risk you have with them if you have all plasma is the squad getting alpha struck in turn one. Given the squads ability to shred some seriously high value units they sit as a real high threat target that still dies as easy as a tac squad but will weigh in at aroun 350+ depending on the sgts gear.
  • BrotherOracle likes this

#26 EdTat

EdTat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationJust So. Of Buffalo NY

Posted 27 April 2017 - 01:36 AM

So, I've a 7 man seeker squad, 6 and leader, 4 bolters, 2 combi plasma, leader with blade of Caliban, Landraider Proteius with an Explorator Augery Web. I attach a Vigilator to the boys, and use them as an eraser of problems.
  • Molokai likes this

#27 Death By Monkeys

Death By Monkeys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 28 April 2017 - 05:50 AM

So, I've started running 2x 10-man Combi-Plasma Seekers in Rhinos in my IW Armoured Breakthrough list and I am never disappointed by them. When I play them defensive, I use a couple firing out of the top of the Rhinos as turrets, but when you unload them, they really break things. 

In my last game with them on Tuesday, my opponent dropped Horus not far from them and then made the fatal mistake of not joining a squad with him. On my next turn, I unloaded one of the squads (had obviously given them Preferred Enemy: Horus), then took a couple wounds off Horus with a Pred and Dread, then proceeded to rain plasma death at 12" on poor Horus with the Seekers and killed him off. 

These dudes are my go-to's now.

Had I just run them with bolters and special ammo, I definitely couldn't have done that. The combi-plasma allow you to move, set-up in front of your target, and then pour the fire into them. While Scorpius ammo is great, Heavy 1 makes it unwieldy when you need to be maneuverable. With the combi-plasma, you move, shoot off your combis, and then if there's anything left the next round, you can use Scorpius against it.

#28 Wolf Lord Loki

Wolf Lord Loki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:03 AM

Seekers with combi weapons could be brutal in 8th Ed.

Given we've heard you can fire both parts of a combi as many times as you like AND fire both together with a -1 to hit...

Seekers will be terrifing (unless they see the nerf bat)
  • CryoftheWulfen likes this

#29 PastelAvenger

PastelAvenger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts
  • LocationManchester

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:01 PM

YES!
  • CryoftheWulfen likes this

#30 Ancient Crixus

Ancient Crixus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:59 AM

Seekers with combi weapons could be brutal in 8th Ed.

Given we've heard you can fire both parts of a combi as many times as you like AND fire both together with a -1 to hit...

Seekers will be terrifing (unless they see the nerf bat)

even more so as you can shoot heavy weapons on the move too at -1 so double tapping plasma with scorpious bolts, sure it's -2 hit but then you're re rolling so it mitigates it somewhat

#31 Arq

Arq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationMK45 / EC2

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:20 AM

I thinking of building some seekers with combi-melta's for my Iron Warriors ad mount them mount them in a rhino and go hunting..  

#32 darkjedi203

darkjedi203

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 07:42 PM

According to the index releases, sternguard have lost special ammo in 8th ed 40k (or rather, all ammo types have been compressed into a single weapon profile), do you think this will happen to seekers too when 30k gets ported over eventually?

#33 Spudasaurous

Spudasaurous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 09:57 PM

I'd hope that they stay as they are irrespective of 30k's movement to 8th. I things likes this are probably part of the reason FW has stuck with 7th for now as this would essentially nerf seekers as a unit.

#34 Metzombie

Metzombie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:18 AM

I'd hope that they stay as they are irrespective of 30k's movement to 8th. I things likes this are probably part of the reason FW has stuck with 7th for now as this would essentially nerf seekers as a unit.

How? If FW wanted they still could give them all the diffrent munitions they want.

#35 littlemen

littlemen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 12 June 2017 - 11:33 AM

Tried out seekers the other day. Unleashed 18 Plasma shots into a squad of Terminators and only killed two, haha!

#36 Fastroper

Fastroper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 05:12 PM

Tried out seekers the other day. Unleashed 18 Plasma shots into a squad of Terminators and only killed two, haha!

My guess is that the dice gods also have a hand in it. Had 11 combi-plas seeker shots into a 5 man Tyrant Siege terminator squad and chaplain in cataphracti plate yesterday. Wiped the squad. I'll admit I was surprised by my good fortune.
  • littlemen likes this

#37 EdTat

EdTat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationJust So. Of Buffalo NY

Posted 22 June 2017 - 04:09 PM

If 8th goes into Heresy, they could be great, unless you tend to roll ones ...

#38 Penddraig

Penddraig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,451 posts
  • LocationArlesey, Bedfordshire

Posted 22 June 2017 - 06:18 PM

Unless Centurions and Predators allow nearby units to re-roll 1s.
'Let us speak now of the death of kings...' - Richard II
Sons of Horus 131st Company "The Kingslayers" http://aus30k.com/30...itle=L-XVI-3752
'Better to reign in Hell then serve in Heaven!' - John Milton, Paradise Lost
'What is it about my leadership that makes you think I tolerate failure?' - Ezekyle Abaddon, Black Legion

#39 Spudasaurous

Spudasaurous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 02:59 AM

What squad size have people found seekers good at? I had a 5 man squad last week and they got smashed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users