#61 Unwanted

Unwanted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 06:03 PM

He's a beaut!

Brotherhood of the Shattered Spear - 05-04-2017: Assault Ram! Veterans!

#62 MaxZ

MaxZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationWaterloo, Canada

Posted 14 May 2017 - 10:58 PM

Damn. Niiiiiice. Some criticism: maybe try make your metals a bit more realistic? I'm thinking scratches and stuff.

#63 Aquila

Aquila

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 05:35 PM

Hmmm... do you mean I should do weathering, or do you think my gold technique needs work?

Weathering on the infantry I might come back and do after I've got my initial army completed. I'd really like to get a completed army on the table for once :) If it's the technique that you think needs work, I'm very open to any ideas or suggestions you have. So far, I've been focused on learning light source/zenithal highlighting, and playing around with glazes and blending. But I've still got a squad of Suzerains to paint up, so that will give me plenty more opportunity to practice on metals.

Next up is probably a couple more tanks, then I'll go back to infantry and get the Suzerain squad.

#64 MaxZ

MaxZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:22 PM

Yeah, weathering I guess. MKA does his metals with a simple light to dark blend and then paints all of these little scratches on which complete the look.

#65 Aquila

Aquila

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:13 PM

Yeah, his gold is fantastic. I wish he had done a gold tutorial that I could obsess over and copy also :)

One thing I am planning on is trying out is a slightly higher contrast gold, starting with a darker gold for a base. Right now I'm using a mid-tone, then shading and highlighting that. Going to try S75 Necro Gold base and then go directly to S75 Elven gold from there, see if I can make the gold pop even more. 

But yeah, probably gonna hold off on any weathering effects on the infantry until I can get 2,000 points on the table. Gotta limit the scope of this project, I've been working on it about a year now and still only about halfway through :/

EDIT: It's ok though, they're Ultramarines! They probably spend more time cleaning and polishing their armour than they do training!

#66 MaxZ

MaxZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:07 AM

Yeah, by all means, finish the 2k first. That's way more important and I wish I had more points painted. In my opinion, you are getting a bit too inflexible about his tutorials. His gold is really standard. Its just a dark to light blend with light coloured scratches painted over it. His blue is cool too but its not the only way to do it, and to be honest all of the preshading and blue airbrushing sort of lends a mediocre final result for the work put in. Andy Wardle's stuff has a really nice blue, which is literally a base of one blue, and built up thin layers of a darker one over it. No pre-shade. Having said that you got a really nice result not fully following his tutorial. For the gold, your suggested strategy sounds awesome. The more contrast the better.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ultramarines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users