94 replies to this topic

#1 Aquila

Aquila

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 10:30 PM

Alright gents, let's kick this thing off :)

After a hundred dollars (probably more) of new paints and countless hours of of painting, repainting, stripping and repainting again, I think I've finally got something that's worth posting.  Here's the start of my new force.  Decided to learn some new techniques and push myself to a new standard for this project, and as usual I've over committed myself.  But I'm pretty happy with the results!

849208767224533454-account_id1_zps5rrb2y

I don't have much to show yet, but I needed to get something posted to motivate myself to get more done.  Bring on the comments and criticism :)

To me, the Ultramarines are tragic figures in the classic sense.  They try so hard to represent the ideals of honor and discipline, but their pocket utopia of Ultramar is a pale shadow of what it once was.  When I look deeper, I see their nobility as a thin veneer covering their regret over what can never be rebuilt. The roman aesthetic suits them well, they are very much like the remnants of the old Roman Empire that tried to maintain a pillar of civilization among a crumbling empire.

More than any other legion, the Ultramarines truly believed in humanity's potential, and in forging a brighter future.  They managed to build something beautiful in the 500 worlds of Ultramar, and were so very close to creating a golden age.  As a result, they also had the most to lose. The death of Calth marked the moment when Guilliman's grand plans were smashed to pieces and would be forever out of reach.  I think every Ultramarine has to shoulder that burden, knowing what their predecessors achieved and knowing they will never be able to come close to reaching it.  I see this grim knowledge as fueling their dogged determination and resolve.  

There has to be a deep bitterness and sense of loss behind that veil of nobility, and I'm hoping I can convey a little bit of that emotion in this project.  

• BBF, judcottrell, Flayedhand and 7 others like this

#2 BBF

BBF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 11:00 PM

Looking good... Can't wait to see more !

#3 DietOfLiquor

DietOfLiquor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 23 July 2016 - 11:27 PM

Welcome and glad to have you in the Tampa area. BBF is Steve and I'm Ismael from the paradox 30k page!
  • BBF likes this

Custodes Custodes Custodes Custodes Custodes Custodes Custodes, EMPEROR

Website for The Solomon Sea Chronicles is in works! 

#4 judcottrell

judcottrell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 10:28 PM

Great start. The blue is very regal and the gold you chose has worked well.

Looking forward to more progress given the standard you've set yourself.

#5 MaxZ

MaxZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationWaterloo, Canada

Posted 01 August 2016 - 05:05 AM

Very nice, what techniques did you use?

#6 Aquila

Aquila

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 03:37 AM

More ultramarines!

P_20160803_230644_HDR_zpsbqj181ek.jpg

I am very, VERY happy with how these are coming out.  

P_20160803_231024_HDR_zpsbg8mkgay.jpg

These three are my latest ones, and favorites so far.

Thank you for the feedback!  

Steve and Ismael - hoping to actually get a game in soon!

Jud - Thanks, man.  Regal is exactly what I was going for.  Your stuff has been great inspiration for me, so that means a lot :)

MaxZ - like all aspiring ultramarines players I was inspired by this incredible guide by Matthew Kane http://m-k-painting-...ting-guide.html

I tried to follow it pretty closely, only made a couple changes where I couldn't match his demi-god painting techniques.

• DietOfLiquor and judcottrell like this

#7 Brushknights

Brushknights

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 12:14 PM

Looking great. I agree Matt's ultramarines are great inspiration.

Will you be keeping the 25mm bases?

#8 MaxZ

MaxZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 10:58 PM

Haha I wanted to try his guide too. How did you do your gold?

#9 MaxZ

MaxZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 10:59 PM

Also, did you use the inktensity blue, and if so did you have to buy the whole set?

#10 DietOfLiquor

DietOfLiquor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 06 August 2016 - 08:11 PM

Looking damn fine Mike! And we will soon!

#11 Aquila

Aquila

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 05:40 PM

Need some input... I'm debating doing the bolter casing in red to mimic the original ultramarine look.  Could give them a classic retro look and mix up the color dynamics, but it's also a little less pragmatic than standard black casing.  What do you guys think?

Brushknights - Yeah, I've got no plans to re-base.  Most of these guys were bought years ago for my Blood Ravens project before the new bases were around, and besides I prefer simple bases on line infantry anyway.  I'll probably use 32mm bases for some characters and bigger infantry, though.

MaxZ - For the gold, I used the Metal n' Alchemy Gold set from Scale 75.  Really fantastic metallic paints.  I was pretty quick and rough with my highlights and it still came out looking great.   Viking Gold base, devlan mud wash, elven gold highlight, then a focused highlight with Citrine Alchemy on the light sources.  Citrine Alchemy is a very cool effect, it's most obvious on the shoulder pad rims.  Like a very, very pale gold.  You can get a similar effect from mixing a little gold into a bright silver.  

And yeah, I used the Inktensity.  My two favorite ultramarines painters both recommended it so I spent a while hunting it down.  Found an online store in the USA finally that sold it individually.  Good service, quick shipping: http://shop.lastcavalry.com/

I'll warn you though - I normally thin paints with Vallejo airbrush thinner and that stuff will NOT thin the ink properly.  It reacted with the thinner, it would coagulate, clog the brush and spray in clumps every time.  I ended up having to get a new thinner to make it work.  Used Liquitex airbrush medium instead and that worked great.

#12 Aquila

Aquila

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 04:43 AM

Another progress shot - been trying to get through these guys over the past couple days.

P_20160827_003057_HDR_zpsczzhhaih.jpg

These will finish the two tactical squads I've been working on over the past month, the two with white pads will be the Sergeants.  

Both squads are basically done.  Just need to paint up some backpacks and a few more bolters.  Planning to have some finished Battle Bros for you soon!

• Mike French, Penddraig, Olly83hammer and 1 other like this

#13 BBF

BBF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 09:11 PM

AMAZING !!!
  • Aquila likes this

#14 Penddraig

Penddraig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,497 posts
  • LocationArlesey, Bedfordshire

Posted 27 August 2016 - 10:03 PM

Looking very good. Great stuff!
  • Aquila likes this
'Let us speak now of the death of kings...' - Richard II
Sons of Horus 131st Company "The Kingslayers" http://aus30k.com/30...itle=L-XVI-3752
'Better to reign in Hell then serve in Heaven!' - John Milton, Paradise Lost
'What is it about my leadership that makes you think I tolerate failure?' - Ezekyle Abaddon, Black Legion

#15 Aquila

Aquila

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 04:51 PM

P_20160828_124243_HDR_1_zps1mpuvc5u.jpg

First fireteam complete!

It's been so long since I 100% finished a Space Marine that I forgot how they look with their backpacks on!

• DietOfLiquor, Centurion Jay, Olly83hammer and 3 others like this

#16 DietOfLiquor

DietOfLiquor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:31 PM

Looks fantastic man!

#17 Reyner

Reyner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 08:12 AM

That blue is excellent. 

#18 judcottrell

judcottrell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 07:48 PM

These really are looking the business!

Outstanding blue and the gold is great too.

What's next?

#19 Aquila

Aquila

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 03:33 AM

Thank you!! I'm not sure what's next. Ill have twenty tacs done as soon as i finish up these backpacks. I'm tempted to jump right into the Locutarii or the Invictarii but I'm a little burned out on infantry so I think I'll mix it up and start working on vehicles. I've got a couple rhino chassis and a dreadnought ready to paint.

#20 Aquila

Aquila

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 06:58 AM

One full tactical squad done... just missing backbacks on the other ten.  Blargh.  Here's the Sarge and his buddies.  Photodumb on the rest of the tacs tomorrow.

P_20160903_180914_HDR_1_zpsxx4yvezr.jpg

• Aximand likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ultramarines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users