34 replies to this topic

#1 generalripphook

generalripphook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 07:39 PM

I am thinking about making my EC fortress based. Do we know anything about the force in the perfect fortress?
  • Brianhig, LstrJoign and Gabrielses like this

#2 Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

The Long March

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 May 2016 - 04:15 AM

The city had a civilian population that could function as militia when they were attacked, so adding a militia/cult force would work

The Unblinking Eye

warmaster_horus_sign_by_ddpuka-d32c72x.p

A blog about 30k & the Sons of Horus 29th Company
They shall be illuminated as to the error of their ways.

30px-Battle_for_Cambrius_Minor_Ribbon.jp30px-Inferno_Campaign_Ribbon.jpg

#3 Raktus

Raktus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 09:09 AM

The fortress was a constant string of overlapping heavy weapons. You would need some heavy support I reckon. Very cool theme to go for btw!

#4 Eidolon

Eidolon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 12:29 PM

There is a display at Warhammer World of the Emperor's Children v Iron Hands, which would represent the Perfect Fortress, perfectly....

n3510m.jpg

Attached Files

#5 torgrim

torgrim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 15 May 2016 - 12:39 PM

I pictured something a little more pretty, perhaps like Versailles with a bit of a star fortress feel.

• Durfast and bluecthulhu like this

#6 Durfast

Durfast

Ordo Moderatus

• Moderators
  • 3,259 posts
  • LocationOdense, Denmark

Posted 15 May 2016 - 01:15 PM

Yes, high walls are just asking for trouble. Something Vauban-esque might be more appropriate ;)

Beware, blog may also contain historical figures!
http://jannersjaunt.blogspot.dk

#7 Raglan

Raglan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,125 posts
  • LocationMonmouthshire

Posted 15 May 2016 - 02:35 PM

35f5bb79-5281-40b8-8aac-57f96b1ec26a.jpe

How-to-draw-a-fortress-step-by-step.jpg

You could easily make something like this look suitable for 30k

e725bf276063c0259028aa5bcad04ec6.jpg

#8 Raktus

Raktus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 03:42 PM

As I read the book I didnt get the impression that the fortress was specifically built around high walls, but rather build as part of the city it was meant to defend. Using the population as part of the defence (assuming that the opponent would want to "liberate" as many of the civilians as possible). So naturally a curtain wall would be great, but the gun nests was actually part of the buildings and the defence network was part of the population's houses. It is going to be quite the project if you intend on actually building the fortress and not just the force :-)

#9 generalripphook

generalripphook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 04:35 PM

Yeah I need to think about how I am gonna do it.

I might make some star fortresses at least before tackling the whole city fortress part.

#10 Mike French

Mike French

Ordo Moderatus

• Moderators
  • 11,372 posts
  • LocationSalisbury, Wiltshie, UK

Posted 15 May 2016 - 04:35 PM

I know a fella that is designing, and will eventually be selling, some large laser cut MDF building, and when they're up and running, would be perfect for this project. I'll let you know when the shop is online.

#11 generalripphook

generalripphook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 04:41 PM

Yeah keep me in the loop. For now I am just building my EC force with militia help.

The basing will be a blend of crushed ruins with barbed wire mixed in. Maybe some nice masonry under some.

Might even have some marines posing as if they are firing over battlements or from windows.

#12 ThePrince

ThePrince

Charming Royalty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts
  • LocationLincoln, Uk

Posted 15 May 2016 - 10:58 PM

Your best bet would likely be to begin with a 'walled city' styled look. So there's an outer ringed wall, then an interior wall around the final fortress (there would be the star fort design), and in between have a series of fortified buildings and housing runs.

Think the last hunger games movie/book - high walled courtyards, winding streets, asymmetrical and confusing design filled with choke points, traps and dead ends. Where civilian building and fort are blended into one, with a final empty killzone before the last fort walls (for counter-attack/machine gun killzones.)

zi2qDCD.png?3

#13 generalripphook

generalripphook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 12:51 AM

It's gonna be big that's for sure.

#14 Grieux

Grieux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 11:00 AM

The perfect fortress was perfect because it was a living city without any particular imposing walls but rather mobile elements to defend it constantly and ensure that if you manage to take the fortress there would be no city left if you do that.

Think about Palmanova, I think it illustrates the concept beautifully:

[URL=http://trinixy.ru/pics5/20140602/palmanova_03.jpgpalmanova_03.jpg[/URL]

http://trinixy.ru/pi...almanova_03.jpg

#15 Poliorketes

Poliorketes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationCounty of Ravensberg

Posted 16 May 2016 - 12:09 PM

Problemwith Star Bastions is the space it needs, nearly impossible to do on your standard gaming table. I'd give the Neupreussische Manier a try, a polygonal system. The Bundesfestung Ulm (Fortress Ulm) has a very good website with pictures (in german) http://www.atarimuseum.de/festung/
Most Legions have chaplains. Emperors Children have Colour Analysts.

#16 generalripphook

generalripphook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 03:21 AM

So I've begun to think about and map it out. The table will have 5 parts.

1) seige works.

This will have two parts, loyalist and traitor. Loyalist will have wall of martyrs trenches and bastions. The renegades will have pillboxes, stone barricade trenches.

Open space will have a mix of craters, barbed wire and dragon teeth.

There will be a road from the city which ends in rubble and a ruined vehicle. The table will be flocked as dirty and wet mud.

2) city walls.

Blue forge walls, 2 towers, a few basilisk and hyrda turrets as emplaced weapons. There will be a command bunker behind this.

3) city.

Lots of buildings, plaza, some buildings will be intact. Most/all buildings will have heavy bolter/twin linked stubber emplacement.

The whole area will have stylized tile. The roads will be lined with banners and stylish 30K trees. Very hip.

4) power plant

A mechanicum power plant with large shield generating looking coils. It will be fortified and have more roboric looking defenses.

5) palace.

This will be raised from the rest of the table. Walled in with another blue forge wall. There will be a wall rigged with explosives connecting the inner and outer wall. There will be a landing platform and the steps and entrance to the palace. Which I hope will look Roman with statues of space marines holding up the roof.

I'll draw a map soon. I also plan on writing cool rules for the cities built in defenses.

#17 generalripphook

generalripphook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 03:28 AM

My plan for my forces.

I plan on making a foot and seige heavy EC list with SA/militia support.

For both infantry and EC better units will be based with mud, barbed wire, broken masonry and be muddy and have battle damage.

All my non vet units will be in less aggressive poses, look pristine and have tiled bases.

I also plan on having a unit of EC with a single red mechanicum shoulder pad and some element of robotics. They will have more ship decking bases. These are the injured EC who needed augmetics and have sought perfection through the mechanicum. They serve as the forge lords personal body guard. They will deploy inches power plant.

Now I just need to find ways of modeling marines at rest/parade.

Maybe I could have a squad at attention saluting......

I think I'll have the palace guards have a different scheme then the rest but I haven't decided which way I will go with the scheme.

The solar auxilia will be Napoleonic models since they can look very royal and have parade and combat poses. Commanders and special characters will be dressed as posh nobles and based as if they were in a ball room.

#18 generalripphook

generalripphook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 03:44 AM

City Rules.

Barbed Wire: if a vehicle moves over a majority of a price (6 inches) then the price if terrain is removed.

If a blast or templaye weapon hits the barbed wire treat it as having 1 wound, toughness 6 and a +4 invuln save. They may be targeted by shooting attacks (blasts or flamers) but may not be charged.

Multi-stage deployment: basically once the attackers have captured a certain objective (example city gate) their requirements can move onto the board as if 6 inches infront of the city wall was their table edge. (This will be easier to see when I draw and post a map)

City shielding: while the power plant is operational the attackers may not deep strike into the palace grounds. Any unit which scatters into it is considered having rolled a 1 on the mishap chart.

Then I had two ideas for this as well.

Option 1) any unit that deepstrikes into the main city rolls a d6. On a 5+ every model in that unit (so even the unit inside a drop pod) must take a dangerous terrain test which cannot be ignored.

Option 2) any unit deep striking into the city must reroll any scatter dice of 1 and a hit roll. This represents the shielding interfering with targeting matrixes

Booby trapped bridge between walls: whoever controls the command center (if it was destroyed this cannot be used but still counts as an objective) can choose to detonate the rigged bridge. The explosion deals ever model on it a strength 6 ap 4 hit. Any surviving model takes fall damage. Any unit that survives roll for pinning.

City walls: Armor 15 HP 6, each hit against the wall will only ever strip one HP.

Ignore any result on the building damage chart except total collapse. After dealing the exploding damage to those on the battlements replace the wall with the ruined section and deal falling damage to survivors.

City gates: AR 14 HP 6.....or maybe 4?

Ignore any result except total collapse. Then simply remove the gate foods.
  • rjward1999 likes this

#19 Mike French

Mike French

Ordo Moderatus

• Moderators
  • 11,372 posts
  • LocationSalisbury, Wiltshie, UK

Posted 29 July 2016 - 10:00 AM

Problemwith Star Bastions is the space it needs, nearly impossible to do on your standard gaming table. I'd give the Neupreussische Manier a try, a polygonal system. The Bundesfestung Ulm (Fortress Ulm) has a very good website with pictures (in german) http://www.atarimuseum.de/festung/

Have the inside of the city with a hole in it so the defender can stand inside the city and control his force. You will have to crawl under the table to get in though:)

#20 generalripphook

generalripphook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 04:48 PM

One objective is his belly button!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users