#241 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 14 June 2017 - 04:48 PM

I will be pin washing today and then matte coating tomorrow and that will check 19 more BA off the list!

Edit: Pin wash and wipe off complete!
  • Birkebein and ThomasSib like this

#242 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:19 PM

Done!  Poor little metal librarian. . . he is so little lol and with the NuMarines he is going to be even smaller looking!   :D :lol:  I will say that I nailed the red and the Apothecary turned out fantastic! 

35331442775_f1571a3e3e_c.jpg20170615_181536 by nifty, on Flickr

• Coopervisor, FieronThor, Sigismund's Ghost and 4 others like this

#243 marine7312000

marine7312000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 16 June 2017 - 03:29 PM

I always love your red.

#244 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:11 PM

I have some Primaris Marines. . . uhhhh . . . I mean true scale marines in the airbrush booth.  :D  I primed 5 of the bolter Primaris and the 3 jump pack guys and the big HQ guy (I made some lists and they are included) plus 20 or so regular terminators that I have had for YEARS and never painted.  Included in the terminators is a set of the newer Space Hulk Blood Angel termis which are amazing sculpts and I am looking forward to getting them finished.  All the terminators except the Space Hulk ones have magnetized arms so I can make entire squads of lightning claws/thunder hammers/stormbolters/power fists/chain fists and/or all the heavy weapons including a couple cyclone launchers. All of the close combat arms have old forgeworld terminator shoulder pads which are super cool looking.  I purchased the shoulder pads at the Glen Bernie Maryland GW HQ back when you could get forgeworld there.  I should be able to get the airbrushing done by the end of the week.  Goal is to get the jump pack primaris guys airbrush work done and get them mounted on bases so I can play with them this Saturday.  :)  Weather looks super hot and super humid/actively raining on and off for most of the week so that is a perfect excuse to sit in front of the airbrush booth and get these marines done! 

#245 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:18 PM

Airbrush all the things! I have a bunch more old terminators still in the to do pile.

35287346002_3c25148bdf_z.jpg20170621_180912 by nifty, on Flickr

#246 m0nolith

m0nolith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 852 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Canada

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:12 AM

Mind if I ask what kind of Gloss + Matte varnish you used, how do you apply it, and if you mix it with something like water or airbursh medium before applying?

Almost every time I try it I end up with frosting to the point I stopped doing it.

Formerly known as Proximo

gallery_86352_12089_1713.jpg

Instagram : m0nolith_

#247 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:26 AM

I use future floor polish for my gloss coat and spray it with my airbrush. No need to thin because its like water consistency wise. I use Vallejo matte and only thin it with water because the bottle says to use water. I also spray the matte with my airbrush. One thing I have noticed with the matte is if I spray from to far away it seems to dry before hitting the model, more so than paint, thus giving the mini a dusty white look. I have only had this happen once because I quickly changed my spray technique and haven't had a problem since and I was actually able to dust the poor marine off for the most part and you can't tell.

I have a picture of the floor polish earlier in this thread if you want to see exactly what it is.
  • m0nolith likes this

#248 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 27 June 2017 - 12:35 PM

I finished priming the rest of the Primaris marines yesterday and hope to get most of the reds done today.  I set up some Mechanicum stuff in my brush painting area but I cant decide if I want to work on them or the Primaris or clear everything off my desk and build the Knight Castigator chassis. . . hmmmm, hobby ADD is in full swing!  :lol:  

#249 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:58 PM

In my 20ish years in this hobby I don't think I have ever had hobby ADD this bad.  I have worked on something different every day this week.  I finished airbrushing my 8th starter set Primaris marines on Sunday.  I got them transferred over to my brush painting area all excited to work on them. . . and then unceremoniously pushed them off to the side and grabbed my Thanatar and 2 Castellax off the shelf and started working on them instead!  Then I spent a days worth of hobby time mocking up my next Knights base and yesterday I was back painting on the AdMech stuff and today (lunch time as I type this) I am super stoked to paint on my Primaris marines when I get home from work.  My brain needs to get itself together!    :lol:

This is just a heads up to be on the look out for some progress shots of my Primaris marines soon and maybe some double bolt pistol destroyers that I have been messing with on and off for a while. ;)  I have also acquired 3 of the Blood Angels transfer sheets from the 8th starter box.  :D

• Tom likes this

#250 Raglan

Raglan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,639 posts
  • LocationMonmouthshire

Posted 06 July 2017 - 10:27 PM

Looking forward to see what you do with the big guys.

#251 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 01 August 2017 - 12:02 PM

I have several forgeworld legion transfer sheets and 20 of the awesome FW BA heads on the way. And I don't really have much left to do on the Primaris marines before they are transfer ready. :) All that's left is the edge highlighting, silver on any metals and the light red on the armor. I didn't include the Primaris captain, standard, hell blasters or 1 of the lieutenants (I don't like the auto bolt rifle lieutenant model all that much) in this batch because I don't really see myself actually using them on the table top any time soon. I was planning on using the lieutenant with the power sword as a Sargent but for some really odd reason BA Primaris Intercessor Sargents can only take chain swords and not power swords. . . its the strangest ruling I have read from GW in a long time and makes zero sense to me or anyone in my gaming group. :huh:

#252 Percilius

Percilius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:59 PM

Damn those are some really nice models.

I really envy those of you that can airbrush

#253 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 04 August 2017 - 11:55 AM

Thanks!  But the airbrushing steps are not even 1/8 of the battle to get them done.  ;)  Don't fear the airbrush, just get a set up and start practicing!

#254 Percilius

Percilius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 08:12 PM

Have tried and failed to many times I either get a wash or the paint is too thick and clogs the system. Maybe when I get my new man cave sorted I shall revisit but til then I find it quicker to get a gaming standard by using a brush

#255 firstsilentprophet

firstsilentprophet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • LocationAuckland, Eastern Australia

Posted 07 August 2017 - 11:13 PM

Have tried and failed to many times I either get a wash or the paint is too thick and clogs the system. Maybe when I get my new man cave sorted I shall revisit but til then I find it quicker to get a gaming standard by using a brush

Like anything....practice, technic, practice, then more practice.

I thought could paint, then i look at what i do compared to others and aaagh!

But i find the more i look how others do it, then try myself, adjust the technic, then try again i think my painting is gradually getting better. 

"We are the greatest humans ever born – we are the flame of Humanity where the rest of the galaxy is just the spark. In centuries of warfare, against the vileness of the alien, the lies of the heretic, the foulness of the mutant, I have never known fear –" Sanguinius in the battle for Terra.

#256 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 08 August 2017 - 01:00 PM

Yep, I spent many hours just spraying water through my airbrush onto a paper towel in order to learn the trigger through and through.  Then I switched to a giant bottle of Badger Minitaire (good deal price wise) black paint and spent hours drawing lines, practicing fades (I actually need to brush up on this because I haven't done it in a while), doing barbell drills, playing with pressure, playing with paint thickness etc.  Just search for 'airbrush drills' on google.  There are print out drill sheets that are great for practice.  One key thing I have discovered is to use actual airbrush thinner from the company that makes your paint if its available. 

In other news, I forgot I had to go into work late today so I had an extra 30-45 min this morning so I started assembly of my Primaris Aggressors.  They are cool models but you cant really pose them at all.  I might try mixing and matching the arms between models.  I figured as long as you keep the arms and ammo feeds together as per the instructions you might be able to switch them from body to body to get something different from the box art.  

#257 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:02 PM

Hobby ADD strikes again but for a good reason.  My FLGS is having an Armies on Parade event and I am planning on entering my Dark Mech stuff and will be using my Shadow War terrain on the display board.  So, the Blood Angels are on the back burner again. . . and FW has delayed the BA black book until Dec 2018 ish so I don't feel that bad.  ;)

I will still finish airbrushing my Aggressors (they are in the booth right now actually) and get them on bases so I can play with them but other than that work on my BA will pretty much be zero for a while.  And if I get tired of painting stuff I might assemble my Redemptor dread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users