#1 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:23 PM

Just a thread to track my progress on my Blood Angels and Questoris Knights.

I am a long time 40k player (started with Blood Angels at the tail end of 2nd edition) and I am just getting into 30k along with a few others of my gaming group.  Currently I have my Calth box half way assembled and I just ordered a Cerastus Knight-Castigator as a bday present to myself mostly because I just wanted it.  :)   The plan used to be to just built a 30k Blood Angels force to go alongside my 40k Blood Angels but since I bought the knight I guess I will be playing a Blood Angels primary with a Questoris Knights allied detachment.  Which, of course, means I just 'have' to buy a couple more knights in order to fill the allied chart properly. :D Since I have never painted anything so large I am planning on getting a plastic knight to practice on.  I also will be putting together an airbrush set up and plan to practice on a bunch of my existing Blood Angel vehicles that have been sitting base coated for years but never quite finished and I hope to refine my airbrush work on the plastic knight before moving to the Forgeworld knight.

So that's the plan and I guess we will see what happens.

To start off Ill throw up some pictures of my magnetized Calth contemptor when I get home from work this afternoon.  The idea being that I will get another Calth contemptor and then have 2 of all the plastic weapons.  Besides the magnet weapons I slightly turned his head, and gave it a slight torso twist.

• Joshuarib, Jeropeake, Walterhof and 1 other like this

#2 Mordian7th

Mordian7th

Ordo Moderatus

• Moderators
  • 5,806 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO USA

Posted 04 February 2016 - 03:25 PM

Nice! The Castigator is hands down my favorite of the knight variants, good call on practicing on a plastic knight first. Looking forward to seeing 'em!

Mordian 7th Regiment - Polluting the blogosphere since 0.273.009/M03 ;)

#3 Baal Triumphant

Baal Triumphant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California, U.S.A.

Posted 04 February 2016 - 06:07 PM

Acheron is best grill

#4 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 04 February 2016 - 07:01 PM

Acheron is best grill

Im asking for an Acheron for my 30th Bday that's coming up soon.   B)  

• Baal Triumphant likes this

#5 Raglan

Raglan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,125 posts
  • LocationMonmouthshire

Posted 04 February 2016 - 07:42 PM

Im asking for an Acheron for my 30th Bday that's coming up soon.   B)  

I keep asking for FW resin for my birthday, but my family keep buying shite. 

• Grubnar likes this

#6 Khaine20

Khaine20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationLake Stevens, WA

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:02 PM

My wife actively refuses to buy my "Nerd" stuff for our anniversary.  SOooooooo I just end up having to buy it myself!  Which is good.. and bad.

• Grubnar likes this

#7 Mike French

Mike French

Ordo Moderatus

• Moderators
  • 11,372 posts
  • LocationSalisbury, Wiltshie, UK

Posted 04 February 2016 - 11:32 PM

It's my anniversary on the 13th, I have two hopes of getting geek stuff for a gift, Bob Hope and no hope!
  • Mordian7th and Khaine20 like this

#8 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 11 February 2016 - 10:37 PM

First up.  A HQ (whatever he needs to be) with a Blade of Perdition and a Mk4 jump pack.  I am waiting on some Dragon Forge bases.   :D

24338703233_c336982c8c.jpg

• marine7312000, lordburton, Grubnar and 2 others like this

#9 marine7312000

marine7312000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 11 February 2016 - 11:36 PM

I like it.

#10 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:40 PM

Spent way to long cleaning the Castigator and other forgeworld bitz yesterday and finally started assembly on the plastic knight.  I also did a little work on the conversion I previously posted a picture of.  I cut off the little scroll holders on his right hip and put a blood angels dagger in its place.  He looks much less chaplain like now.  The plasma pistol is still bugging me so he might get a mk3 hand flamer some time this week. 

Sadly I am still waiting on my Dragon Forge bases.

• Khaine20 likes this

#11 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:58 PM

Is it bad that I am mostly building my 30k marines so they look cool instead of what would work best in game and points wise? For instance I think most, if not all, of my assault squad sergeants are getting dual mk3 lighting claws because they looks sweet. :)

My 40k is just about completely built for function but I just feel like building some cool stuff for my 30k, in game function is currently secondary.
  • Grubnar likes this

#12 Anurien

Anurien

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, Scotland

Posted 25 February 2016 - 09:31 AM

Rule of Cool...

• Grubnar likes this

#13 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:02 PM

Got my first game in yesterday with the new BA rules.  And man that Blade of Perdition is nasty!  When my Centurion (artificer armor and blade of perdition) and 2 tac marines (out of a 20 man blob) finally made it to one of my opponents tac squad they killed them all easily (swept them after killing 5 or 6).  The little bands first kill was a lucky long bomb charge against a squad of attack bikes and the Blade stuck hard and I swept them and I launched from there towards his tac squad. :D‚Äč  The battle was good but tough, my opponent immobilized my land raider (poor terminators had to walk!) and vindicator first turn (opponent had first turn).  The terminators didnt do anything except play 'herd my opponents tanks' all game lol.  They finally caught his sicaran when it got immobilized on some terrain trying to back away from them more. :lol:

• librisrouge likes this

#14 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:14 PM

Picked up my 2nd Calth box and got a hold of 10 mk 5 jump packs and 10 raptor jump packs.  I also have mk3 weapons inbound to complete 2 10 man assault squads.  The squads will have a mix of mk4 weapons from the Calth box and mk3 from the weapon packs. I think I am going to shave off some of the power lines on some of the mk3 power weapons that come in the weapons pack and use/paint them as regular close combat weapons.  The squad should look cool with a random variety of weapons. Then build 3 more plasma and 3 more melta, 1 of every 6 with get the plume helmet to mark the sargent, which will give me 6 of each for support squad/veteran squads.  I don't think I am going to build any more heavy weapons right now though because I think I am going to stick with just my auto cannon squad I have right now, need 5 more of them eventually.  Everything else will be jump guys and stompy robots (ie dreads and knights), maybe some terminators every once in a while and maybe a whirlwind scorpios.  Currently I have 2 heavy bolters built for exclusive use in a sniper vet squad and no other heavy weapons built.  Ill get some build pictures up soon.

Things I wish forgeworld would put together for power armour guys:

-mk3/mk4/mk whatever packs that just have 10 sets of arms with 10 chain swords and 10 pistols (and I emailed them, again, about making something like that could be sued for calth tac squads with sword and pistol and assault squads at the very least) 

-mk4/mk5/mk whatever packs of 10 jump packs (emailed about this too)

-mk3/mk4/mk whatever special weapon close combat pack - with things that are not chain swords and bolt pistols. Like power fists, pairs of lightning claws, thunder hammers, power mace, hand flamers, volkite pistols etc

• Grubnar likes this

#15 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 15 March 2016 - 05:50 PM

Building 30k like crazy and painting necrons at the same time. 

The plastic knight is finished being built minus all the armor panels that are being kept separate for painting purposes.  It is also fully magnetized.

I ordered my airbrush (Badger Patriot 105) plus accessories (hoses, airbrush stand, cleaning brushes/pot, quick disconnects, spare needle etc)  this week and hope to try my hand at Grey Area's airbrush base coating process for Blood Angels in the near future on some old and beat up models I have deemed expendable.  I am clearing a space in my hobby room this week for a permanent airbrush area and I think I am going to work on building a booth this weekend.

The overall plan is to keep my marines nice and clean looking.  I am going to try several different final highlight colors and even a transparent red coat just to see what it does to the overall red color.  But first I need to practice a ton with the airbrush before I even point it at any models.  :D   I also need to put in my order for a ton of Vallejo airbrush paints this weekend at my local game shop. . . like almost $200 worth of paint, thinner, cleaner etc :ph34r:  This includes some trial colors that I might only spray once and go 'nope, not quite the right color I am looking for.'  I found it difficult to really tell what colors I liked from the example colors on the Vallejo website so I guess I just have to buy and try.  Just about all the airbrush stuff should get to me by the end of the month.

#16 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 28 March 2016 - 12:41 AM

Assault Sargent 

26054145916_7f8a000d07.jpg

Work in progress repose.  

25477462663_06323e46b0.jpg

1 posed 1 stock all magnetized

26080043835_3d968a0e4f.jpg

Knight 1 progress, all magnetized.

25807187290_ff56614d8f.jpg

Prototype paint drying stand and some in progress assault marines.  Yeah the heavy chain sword isnt technically legal but I am building 2-3 for one of my 10 man squads.  Blood Angels do wound on 1 better than normal. . . maybe instead of skill for these particular marines its because of their awesome giant swords, ie less finesse and more brute.  :D

25477396653_410f7e91f5.jpg

My airbrush is up and running but so far I have only had a chance to spray some water through it to make sure everything works. :)  Spray booth is built but no active ventilation yet but I built it so it could be added later with minimal effort if needed.  

And all my Necrons are almost done.  Only 15 left!  The goal was to finish the Necrons by the end of April but I have to travel for work for most of the month so I am loosing a bunch of weekends so I doubt I will finish them by my original goal.  I think I am going to try and bring my 10 Calth terminators and get them assembled why I am away.

• Grubnar, Baal Triumphant and xenite like this

#17 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 15 April 2016 - 10:43 AM

I sprayed a ton of black through my airbrush last weekend and hope to practice more this weekend.  I have done a bunch of dot and line drills and will do many more this weekend.  I am comfortable enough to prime models now but I want to practice applying the other colors on a bunch of old marines before I commit to my 30k stuff.  I did play with spraying at different angels on some old fantasy goblins and I sprayed a few old marines black as priming practice.  The cheap black I got is kind of shiny when dry but I don't think that will matter when I layer other colors on top and hit it with matt varnish.  Quality Vallejo black primer is on order along with about $200 worth of other colors for my BA and Knights. :D I will probably do a couple of my old marines that I don't care about from start to finish  to get some practice doing the red, weathering, decals and to try out a few different red colors to see what I like the best.  I am hoping to get my huge paint order in soon!  I am also still waiting on my DragonForge bases to get in.  I did not get enough bases to do everything in my army (they are not cheap!) in the resin but I did pick up some plastic card so I can make the regular bases match closely with the resin ones form DragonForge.  The ones I make will just be less elaborate which will be perfect because I plan on using the resin bases on the important things and my regular old tac marines will get my home made treatment.  I also need to get some water effects and do a few test pieces with various brands of 'water.'  Hopefully I will be able to start posting pictures of models with paint on them soon!

#18 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 20 April 2016 - 06:11 PM

My paint order should be waiting for me at my local shop this Saturday when I go play.  :D Last night I finished assembly of 10 Calth Cataphractii Terminators.  4 Lightning claws, 3 bolter+chain fist, 2 combimelta + powerfist, 1 heavy flamer power sword. 

Dragon Forge is taking forever to get my bases shipped so I don't have those yet but hopefully soon.  I am painting bases separate from all the models that are getting resin bases.  The plan is to get the airbrushing on the infantry armor done (all the red steps, see GreyAreas tutorial), paint the bases, then attach the models to the bases.  This will give me a force to play with.  Once they are airbrushed and on the bases I can do the weathering, details, gloss varnish, decals etc (see GreyAreas tutorial).  The plan for the plastic titan (and all the titans in general) is to get the base done (also from Dragon Forge) then finish the under skeleton and weapons completely and attach it to the base thus making it playable.  Then do the airbrush work on the armor panels and install them on the under skeleton as they are all finished.  The under skeleton will be mostly airbrushed and washed with little details picked out with a brush (eyes and whatnot).   I am thinking about randomly practicing with decals and mico sol/set on my Necron Monolith over the next few days.  See if I can get a decal to look good over a panel seam and just practice making them look 'not like decals' by using varnish and the mico sol.  I don't have much experience with decals so I might as well get some practice.

For knight transport the plan is to build a box myself and then buy pull and pluck foam online and make custom foam. One layer goes up to the bottom of the weapons and is kept in the case, another goes over the weapons and is place from above and the last is a topper and goes over the rest of the upper torso that the middle layer doesn't cover.  The plan is to have a snug fit around the base and upper torso and a loose fit around the weapons to keep them from snapping off in transit.  Ideally this will be a wooden box large enough to have 3 separate chambers each with custom foam for the knights.  The knights will stand up in their slots and I can buckle the entire box into my jeep with a seatbelt.  :)

#19 Baal Triumphant

Baal Triumphant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California, U.S.A.

Posted 21 April 2016 - 02:27 AM

This brings me pleasure 

• Grubnar likes this

#20 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 22 April 2016 - 10:03 PM

26583215985_79d11638a5.jpg

Working on some bases for the regular lowly marines to match the Dragon Forge bases I have on order. Don't know how well the picture shows the detail but it is cut fitted stones plastic card that I etched some cracks into. Should show up great with some dry brushing. The bases I am getting from dragon forge are Ancient Ruins 1 and 2. I will add some simple gravel to the home made bases above and paint like they are in a wet jungle environment so a nice dark brown for the dirt and a simple grey stone for the block work. I am going to look for a circle punch tomorrow that should speed up the process considerably. Right now I trace and cut circles out by hand then bisect them a few times, add cracks and finally bevel the edges before glueing them down.
  • Mordian7th and Rade like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users