#1 jimmyp

jimmyp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationEssex

Posted 09 January 2016 - 11:10 PM

Hello fellow salamander players, my fiancé got me a betrayal of calth box set in December for my birthday to start off my army.

I have ordered two upgrade kits to make up two 10 men tactical squads....Also two Forge world rhinos for them to ride in.

I was thinking of using the last 10 marines to build a veteran squad?? Is this a good idea? Because they could sit on objectives back field in games. Or should I make up a 10 marine support squad?

The 5 terminators in the betrayal of calth set I am unsure what to do with them?..I will buy the firedrakes terminators they look awesome.

Planning on airbrushing my models using Tamiya flat green, Vallejo midouri green, Vallejo green zinc chromate, Vallejo escorpena green....

Any advice from you veteran players on what to buy and start with?
  • Thyrkill, RobertJom, heacttacy and 8 others like this

#2 inhumansolid

inhumansolid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
  • Locationbiggleswade Bedfordshire

Posted 10 January 2016 - 08:06 AM

Welcome to this awesome forum Jimmyp.

A spartan is a must! You can stick the firedrakes in there as a dedicated transport.

2nd must is Vulcan who can ride in the spartan with the firedrakes and hunt down the oppositions characters or high value units.

3rd must are some venator tanks. Even one can cause some serious damage.

4th I'd look at getting a tank killer to either punish your enemy infantry or take out their tanks. The falcion and the cerebus are both good choices.

For me the best 30k salamander green paint I've found is forgeworlds own vulcan green airbrush paint. Really dark and muted 30k tone. A quick airbrush highlight of GW moot green then wash with gw beil tan green and all done. Check out my salamander thread here for more on how I paint my Salamanders. There are some great inspiration threads from other salamander players here. Go check them out....
  • jimmyp likes this

#3 jimmyp

jimmyp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationEssex

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:01 AM

Thanks inhumansolid for the advice I will check out your threads mate, I can't wait to start my salamanders. Been painting tyranids for the past 18 months and will be finished by March.
Will check out those tanks 👍🏻👍🏻

#4 kegman

kegman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 03:01 AM

Looking forward to seeing another salamander army. Good luck and welcome

#5 jimmyp

jimmyp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationEssex

Posted 14 January 2016 - 09:21 AM

Thanks kegman, I can't wait to get started! My friend who I will be playing against is doing sons of Horus.
  • jimmyp likes this

#6 jimmyp

jimmyp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationEssex

Posted 25 January 2016 - 12:12 PM

Started on my two diemos rhinos and they are not bad, feels bit odd thou I have only ever done tyranids necrons...
Decided to not paint inside, save that for the Spartan!
Any tips on building space marines, never done one ever....leave the heads and guns off when painting???

#7 Anurien

Anurien

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, Scotland

Posted 25 January 2016 - 12:59 PM

Leave the gun off and paint it along side the marine. Other than that not anything particularly difficult about marines.

#8 Ripper.McGuirl

Ripper.McGuirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,352 posts
  • LocationRogues Island, USA

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:03 PM

Some leave off the guns. I don't usually bother. Anything covered up by the gun doesn't get painted. I don't usually paint in pieces at all, actually. Some people will leave off things like heads/guns/backpacks if the are going to get sprayed a different base color.

MASTER OF SIGNALS IS PULLING THE STRINGS/ DROPPING THE BOMBS AND WRECKING YOUR THINGS

My Alpha Legion Thread | My Salamander Thread

#9 jimmyp

jimmyp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationEssex

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:08 PM

Thanks everyone, yeah I don't usually paint models in bits usually either. Keep seeing space marine heads and helmets on tooth picks lol.

#10 Anurien

Anurien

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:26 PM

I do paint un-helmeted heads separately but not helmets. It makes it much easier to get into details as you can turn it upside down and get into eyes and such without the chest getting in the way. Less wall-eyed freaking out marines that way.

Not that I do many marines without helmets.

• jimmyp likes this

#11 jimmyp

jimmyp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationEssex

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:45 PM

I do paint un-helmeted heads separately but not helmets. It makes it much easier to get into details as you can turn it upside down and get into eyes and such without the chest getting in the way. Less wall-eyed freaking out marines that way.

Not that I do many marines without helmets.

#12 jimmyp

jimmyp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationEssex

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:48 PM

Ah ok good tip for doing faces, got a painting course end of February and they are teaching how to paint faces. Looks hard to do faces.

#13 inhumansolid

inhumansolid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
  • Locationbiggleswade Bedfordshire

Posted 25 January 2016 - 04:29 PM

Practice makes perfect.

The more you paint the more you learn and the better you get. I have been painting for 26 years now and I am still learning.

#14 Anurien

Anurien

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 04:58 PM

Same. You pick up tips and little bits from different sources, try stuff, and suddenly you think of a new way of doing an old technique. Practice then makes it better.

• jimmyp likes this

#15 jimmyp

jimmyp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationEssex

Posted 25 February 2016 - 08:21 AM

Hello could someone help me I am just going to build my two sergeants and looking at the rules for tactical they can swap the Bolter for one of the wargear list.......combi weapon looks decent
But if I choose say power fist or power sword CAN I still change his bolt pistol for inferno pistol for the cost of the plasma pistol as well???

#16 StealthyS

StealthyS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 03:19 PM

Hello could someone help me I am just going to build my two sergeants and looking at the rules for tactical they can swap the Bolter for one of the wargear list.......combi weapon looks decent
But if I choose say power fist or power sword CAN I still change his bolt pistol for inferno pistol for the cost of the plasma pistol as well???

You swap the bolter for a power sword but you can't swap his bolt pistol for an inferno pistol.

If you pay the 2pt upgrade per marine so they all get bolter/bolt pistol/Melee weapon you can now do this but with the Melee weapon for the power weapon and the bolter for the inferno pistol.

AFAIK you can't swap the bolt pistol in a tactical Squad.
  • jimmyp likes this

#17 jimmyp

jimmyp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationEssex

Posted 26 February 2016 - 04:30 PM

You swap the bolter for a power sword but you can't swap his bolt pistol for an inferno pistol.

If you pay the 2pt upgrade per marine so they all get bolter/bolt pistol/Melee weapon you can now do this but with the Melee weapon for the power weapon and the bolter for the inferno pistol.

AFAIK you can't swap the bolt pistol in a tactical Squad.

Thanks stealthy I thought so myself, you know when you see on you tube "miniwargaming" the guy on there swapped both weapons.....but then check the rules book and get doubtful of what you read.

#18 StealthyS

StealthyS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 05:25 PM

Not seen any of their recent stuff might well have to check it out.

There's so many rules out there we are all bound to question some :)
  • jimmyp likes this

#19 jimmyp

jimmyp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationEssex

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:19 PM

Not seen any of their recent stuff might well have to check it out.

There's so many rules out there we are all bound to question some :)

They are doing Horus heresy now and is really great to watch. A emperors children army was on there recently the painting was superb!
  • StealthyS likes this

#20 Raglan

Raglan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,625 posts
  • LocationMonmouthshire

Posted 27 February 2016 - 08:26 PM

Painted anything yet?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users