Photo

AshRid's Thousand Sons (aka: couldn't think of a snazzier title)

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 ashrid

ashrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationHampshire, UK

Posted 03 November 2015 - 02:14 PM

Having now finished my first ~3K points of my Thousand Sons army it's probably time I threw my hat into the ring. The colour scheme is based on the novel 'A Thousand Sons' (Red and Ivory, but since Citadel don't do an ivory Ushabti Bone was used)

Those of you who have read my intro post may remember that I don't count myself as a good painter so go easy on the critique please :-)

Tactical Squad

C7gbjOG.jpg

Assault Squad

JhKUIRx.jpg

Mechanicum Support

IeMVAml.jpg

Veteran Tactical Squad

P7Ia3I0.jpg

Sekhmet Terminator Squad (at least until FW release one)

2J5yDw3.jpg

Characters

6SLt2V5.jpg

Vehicles to follow when I've taken some photos

• Mike French, Mounty_chris and ThePrince like this

#2 Raglan

Raglan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,008 posts
  • LocationMonmouthshire

Posted 03 November 2015 - 02:17 PM

snazzy  ;) 

#3 Depthcharge12

Depthcharge12

Drinker of the Ales

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 03 November 2015 - 03:40 PM

Great stuff! You know what actually might make your models "pop" a little bit more? Just run a wash over them - maybe varroberg Crimson (I think?) mixed with nuln oil. :)

It'll add some depth and fill in the recesses to add shadows. I'm a crappy painter too, but washes have saved my life a million times over :P
  • Hisdudeness likes this
*Insert Funny Thing Here*

Master of Blades, cutting your thangs, killin yo' aides.

#4 Excessus

Excessus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • LocationMalmö, Sweden

Posted 03 November 2015 - 03:42 PM

3k points, nice! Always good to have another Thousand Sons player, they are after all the coolest legion out there! :)

However, have you tried out the citadel washes? Or others like them? Washes are good at making shadows and create depth in models.

Personally I use other brands for many shades now, but I used to use Nuln Oil for metals and either Seraphim Sepia or Agrax Earthshade for ivory/bone colour depending on the look I wanted. For the red I still use Carroburg Crimson to shade my red with.

'In war, it is only the truly foolish who seek conflict and death purely for its own sake; the sword is a tool of the warrior-scholar just as is the pen, and neither should be wielded without first understanding that which the wielder seeks to gain from their actions'

Wisdom graven on the steps of the Great Library of Tizca

#5 Sigismund

Sigismund

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • LocationNew Forest

Posted 03 November 2015 - 07:02 PM

Good stuff Ashrid. Liking the models. All the different helmets used make the guys individual!

The guys are right about the washes. That'll make things look more dimensional. A step closer to getting a game in!?

#6 ashrid

ashrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationHampshire, UK

Posted 03 November 2015 - 07:08 PM

Vehicles as promised

Drop Pod and Deimos Rhino

07cV6Vb.jpg

Spartan

3OXws26.jpg

Storm Eagle

KmhHAhJ.jpg

Finally my pride and Joy

a0OobDN.jpg

• Mike French, ThePrince and Raglan like this

#7 ashrid

ashrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationHampshire, UK

Posted 03 November 2015 - 07:13 PM

Good stuff Ashrid. Liking the models. All the different helmets used make the guys individual!

The guys are right about the washes. That'll make things look more dimensional. A step closer to getting a game in!?

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll be honest washes scare me, the thought of putting all that work [for me anyway] in and then potentially screwing it up by getting the wash wrong is..... offputting

I was due to play my first 30K game during my groups annual pilgrimage to Warhammer World last Saturday (which my opponent and I had been ramping up to for the last 6-8 months). Unfortunately he had to cancel at the last moment so I joined in the rest of my friends 40K game with my legion list.

#8 Depthcharge12

Depthcharge12

Drinker of the Ales

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 05 November 2015 - 04:05 PM

Don't worry man, you can water them down and do thinner washes, or use Q-tips to wick off excess washes.

Trust me ;) you will see miles of difference.
*Insert Funny Thing Here*

Master of Blades, cutting your thangs, killin yo' aides.

#9 Excessus

Excessus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • LocationMalmö, Sweden

Posted 05 November 2015 - 05:06 PM

I have a few spare models I have assembled that I always try new colours on. Always nice to have a test model. :)

'In war, it is only the truly foolish who seek conflict and death purely for its own sake; the sword is a tool of the warrior-scholar just as is the pen, and neither should be wielded without first understanding that which the wielder seeks to gain from their actions'

Wisdom graven on the steps of the Great Library of Tizca

#10 Panzerfaust101

Panzerfaust101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, U.K.

Posted 05 November 2015 - 05:30 PM

Hampshire? Where are you?

#11 Raglan

Raglan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,008 posts
  • LocationMonmouthshire

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:31 PM

Nice one buddy, keep them coming. 

#12 ashrid

ashrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationHampshire, UK

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:22 PM

Hampshire? Where are you?

Southampton (no I'm not into Football before you ask ;) )

#13 Panzerfaust101

Panzerfaust101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:48 PM

Well we have a good heresy group in portsmouth, were not football fans either....

Your more than welcome to come down if you want a game. You can play against imperial fists, sons of horus, salamanders mechanicum, death guard, imperial militia, iron warriors, emperors children or knights...take your pick

#14 Olly83hammer

Olly83hammer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth UK

Posted 05 November 2015 - 10:02 PM

Well we have a good heresy group in portsmouth, were not football fans either....
Your more than welcome to come down if you want a game. You can play against imperial fists, sons of horus, salamanders mechanicum, death guard, imperial militia, iron warriors, emperors children or knights...take your pick

Speak for your self (up the hammers)

#15 ashrid

ashrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationHampshire, UK

Posted 06 November 2015 - 04:13 PM

Sounds like a plan, when do you guys get together?

#16 Mike French

Mike French

Ordo Moderatus

• Moderators
  • 11,298 posts
  • LocationSalisbury, Wiltshie, UK

Posted 06 November 2015 - 04:18 PM

They have bingo on Wednesday nights.

#17 Panzerfaust101

Panzerfaust101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 04:52 PM

Tuesdays at our local club... Solent wargamers. Its at the royal legion in southsea... Fairly easy to get to. I already have a game this tuesday, but we could do next?

Email me and ill send directions

Apocalypsebirthday@gmail.com

#18 ashrid

ashrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationHampshire, UK

Posted 06 November 2015 - 09:59 PM

Tuesdays at our local club... Solent wargamers. Its at the royal legion in southsea... Fairly easy to get to. I already have a game this tuesday, but we could do next?

Email me and ill send directions

Apocalypsebirthday@gmail.com

Ah unfortunately I can only do Mondays during the week as the wife works evening so I have to be home with the kids.

Looks like it'll have to be your next weekend Apoc game then?

#19 ashrid

ashrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationHampshire, UK

Posted 07 February 2016 - 04:43 PM

Just a quick update, on Saturday I finally got to play my 30K Mechanicum opponent (that should have happened last October) up at Warhammer World.

A glorious victory for the Sons as the Mechanicum conceded at the beginning of turn 5 after their Warhound exploded magnificently taking most of it's force with it (partly due to the Magos being in base to base trying to keep it alive, partly because everything was close the benefit from fearless).

I need to shake up my list though, partly due to the recent FAQ (can't put the Thallax in Thunderhawk it would seem), partly because I managed to miss only being able to take drop pod with the specific rite of war, and partly because too much of my force is in reserve.

I'll probably hold off for book 7 and start working on my White Scar allies now thanks for book 6

#20 ashrid

ashrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationHampshire, UK

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:53 PM

Ok so I figured it was time for an update...

With the release of the Sekhmet and Magnus and some of you here showing the Tamiya clear red results  I figured it was time to take your earlier advice and start using washes on my new stuff.

So to paraphrase Darth Vader, we shall test it on Captain Solo Ahriman (he's not finished)

Ps1a1l3.jpg

Plastic Ahriman also gave me the opportunity to update a conversion I wasn't entirely happy with

UYKsDhr.jpg

With my new found wash confidence I'm pretty pleased with how the Sekhmet came out

033BJPc.jpg

GUh5dsT.jpg

So I went back and washed the Vet. Tactical Squad

05jBcYx.jpg

Currently working on the big guy

yKxJ0PH.jpg

Who will be followed by my most recent addition

zclNFpm.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users