#1 Inso

Inso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 12 June 2015 - 11:09 AM

I posted this little project on another forum and was asked to post it here... so here it is.

Many years ago, I had to move house and made the mistake of throwing away the major part of my Squat force... leaving me with about 10 Squats. In later years, I swapped them for Grymn and was left with just one, single, solitary Squat model.

But once a Squat fan, always a Squat fan and a few months ago, I started trawling EBay for plastic Squats and managed to amass quite a few... but there was a problem. I didn't like the way the arms fitted... and the lasguns were too long... and there was a choice of only three heads... and...

So I decided that I would start a little Astra Militarum army and put my own spin on things. First up were a few test miniatures:

SquatWIP41_zpsqjb7tf63.jpg

They seemed to go pretty well... so I then thought I'd make an Engineseer:

SquatWIP21_zpsc6ea4911.jpg

And an Engineseer needs toys so I built a pair of servitors (robots rather than cyborgs):

SquatWIP23_zpsb01288e2.jpg

Then I decided to bite the bullet and put together a platoon:

SquatWIP42_zpse3te1jmq.jpg

FalkSquat5_zps6asa8f33.jpg

FalkSquat4_zpswyhrx5nw.jpg

And finally... a little bit of support from a Sentinel Squadron:

SquatSentinel7_zpsds4cumnw.jpg

Now, the army doesn't end there... I am in the process of building the second platoon:

SquatWIP45_zpsprkgpbbs.jpg

And have some Exo Armour (using Spacemarine Rules):

SquatExo10_zpsakbdltou.jpg

And that is where the army is upto at the moment. I have a lot of plans for future additions but I daren't look too far ahead or my mojo may be offended :)

Feel free to ask as many questions as you like... there are bits and pieces from all over the place :)

• Warjammy, Penddraig, Erik Lamont and 32 others like this

Another day older; another day wiser... yet sadly, closer to the grave.

My hobby and life blog: http://insosworld.blogspot.co.uk/

#2 Inso

Inso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 12 June 2015 - 11:24 AM

Here is a pic of all the finished elements:

SquatWIP39_zpshiljvwox.jpg

• storm666, Warjammy, Excessus and 4 others like this

#3 Warjammy

Warjammy

The Half-Heard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts
  • LocationRhode Island, USA

Posted 12 June 2015 - 11:28 AM

This is the kind of thing I love to see. Well done.

Hello Servitor Convertible Children, I Have Sugar Products in My Conveyor...

Master of handguards is pulling the strings, cutting you up, stabbing your things.

#4 storm666

storm666

Jens Rosemann

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts
  • LocationEssen, Germany

Posted 12 June 2015 - 11:55 AM

Very, very nice! 

"All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth."

- Lorgar Aurelian, Primarch of the Word Bearers Legion, Chosen of Chaos Undivided and Bearer of the Word

#5 Grey Area

Grey Area

A Total Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationMilton Keynes, UK

Posted 12 June 2015 - 12:01 PM

Brilliant! Great sculpting.

#6 Durfast

Durfast

Ordo Moderatus

• Moderators
  • 3,259 posts
  • LocationOdense, Denmark

Posted 12 June 2015 - 12:07 PM

Thanks muchly, Inso. I think your work will inspire a few others here.

Beware, blog may also contain historical figures!
http://jannersjaunt.blogspot.dk

#7 Panzerfaust101

Panzerfaust101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, U.K.

Posted 12 June 2015 - 12:08 PM

Although not to my taste...an amazing job..beautiful greenstuff work

#8 Meatgrinder

Meatgrinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Location55765 Ellweiler, RLP

Posted 12 June 2015 - 12:41 PM

WOW this is really sth.... great to see people converting unique stuff that inspires and brings more deep into the Heresy

#9 Inso

Inso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 12 June 2015 - 02:19 PM

Cheers :)

I have tried to keep within the Astra Militarum codex but felt that there was nothing in there that could relate to Exo armour so have had to ally a few terminators.

The basic Squats get neckerchiefs, beards and arms sculpted on them. They also have their lasguns shortened and pinned together. Their heavy weapons are from Anvil Industries and there are various bits from the Mantic range (including the close combat dog).

The Sentinels are converted from Prodos Games Vulkan battlesuits.

The Exo squats are Mantic's Forge Guard with heads resculpted.

I have just received a parcel from Mad Robot Games in the U.S.A. containing a bunch of comm-links and they are really excellent. 

I am looking to add to the Astra Militarum force: a third platoon, 3 Ministorum Priests (that will be modelled as Berserker Squats) and a pair of gun servitors for the Engineseer; here's a WIP of the first Gun Servitor:

SquatWIP44_zpsxyiywusu.jpg

For the Spacemarine part, I want to add a second Exo Squad and three scout squads (Using Mantic Games miniatures that aren't released yet... hence they are part of the long distance plan).

Vehicles/transports have not been thought about too much because I want to scratch build some hover vehicles to 'count as' the various armour options.

At some point, I'll put together a full list (without vehicles).

• Warjammy and orangesm like this

#10 DietOfLiquor

DietOfLiquor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 12 June 2015 - 02:31 PM

Amazing work!

Custodes Custodes Custodes Custodes Custodes Custodes Custodes, EMPEROR

Website for The Solomon Sea Chronicles is in works! 

#11 Matus

Matus

I am Reductor.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 12 June 2015 - 07:49 PM

Awesome! But you threw away squats. Not traded or sold? I feel faint.

This is amazing though. Are you not tempted to use the new milita rules? You could use the new doctrines to make them abhuman (+1 T) and the relics of the dark ages one. I'm pretty sure forge world had squats and beastmen in mind for that.

Check out this company Raglan recently posted about. Thier squats...sorry diggers ;) , would fit yours perfectly.

http://www.macrocosm.co.uk/shop/

#12 Inso

Inso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 12 June 2015 - 09:25 PM

I don't game so rules aren't too important. I just use the Codex army lists so people can identify with them.

I've seen those diggers and although they aren't bad, they are metal so they aren't eligible to join my plastic/resin army (cheers for the link though :) ).

I also have 80+ more plastic Squats to work on and I'd rather get them converted than leave them in a box and get new models :)

• Matus likes this

#13 Matus

Matus

I am Reductor.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 June 2015 - 07:07 AM

I don't play more than 2 or 3 times a year, so the effectiveness of the rules are not so important to me, but I like using the lists to organise my collection. I love these ultra flexible lists that allow you to got to the background material and I'm sure FW wanted to give rules for squat collections there.

#14 Inso

Inso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 June 2015 - 09:40 AM

From what I have read, there is a lot of buzz about the new rules enabling you to have a bespoke Squat army now... and for gamers it is brilliant (and... about bloody time too!). I just wonder if GW, rather than Forgeworld, will take on the hint that it is well overdue... but I guess there will have to be a certain amount of 'hell freezing over' for that to happen :)

#15 Inso

Inso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 June 2015 - 04:05 PM

The gun servitor is finished now:

SquatWip46_zpsubwgejlg.jpg

I've started on the next one but I haven't got very far with it yet... theres info on Inso's World (amongst other things):

I've also begun thinking about how I could include Psykers in the army without using Squats and I was given a good idea by a guy on Facebook... use beastmen. Obviously, I don't have any beast men because I don't collect fantasy... but I have some Tau plastics and some green stuff so I may end up putting together a few Primaris Psykers in the form of converted beastmen. I think it is really appropriate because they are another part of the Rogue Trader days that have been washed aside. Then of course... there are weirdvane psykers... but I'm not so sure I want any of those yet.

So many things to think about :) .

• littlemen and orangesm like this

#16 Penddraig

Penddraig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,501 posts
  • LocationArlesey, Bedfordshire

Posted 14 June 2015 - 08:03 PM

Just to let you know that in the old RT days, Squats did have pyskers in the form of Living Ancestors. The idea was that if a Squat reached about 500-600 years old, their lifespan dramatically extended and they developed low level (level 2 back then) psychics. Thought you might like to know.
'Let us speak now of the death of kings...' - Richard II
Sons of Horus 131st Company "The Kingslayers" http://aus30k.com/30...itle=L-XVI-3752
'Better to reign in Hell then serve in Heaven!' - John Milton, Paradise Lost
'What is it about my leadership that makes you think I tolerate failure?' - Ezekyle Abaddon, Black Legion

#17 Inso

Inso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 June 2015 - 09:18 PM

Thanks for the info but I was aware of living ancestors (I used to have a metal one with a cane and one in a sidecar) but it is one of those things that I never liked about the Squats (that and their ridiculous looking motorbikes). I feel that Squats are too 'grounded' to be meddling with magic so I have decided not to include Squat psykers in my army. Beastmen have shaman... so they could be psykers... so I thought I'd try something new :).

Mind you... the beastmen may be a little shorter than usual :D

#18 Penddraig

Penddraig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,501 posts
  • LocationArlesey, Bedfordshire

Posted 14 June 2015 - 09:22 PM

No worries. Added it in case you were not aware of "old lore".
'Let us speak now of the death of kings...' - Richard II
Sons of Horus 131st Company "The Kingslayers" http://aus30k.com/30...itle=L-XVI-3752
'Better to reign in Hell then serve in Heaven!' - John Milton, Paradise Lost
'What is it about my leadership that makes you think I tolerate failure?' - Ezekyle Abaddon, Black Legion

#19 Inso

Inso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 June 2015 - 09:31 PM

I bought the Rogue trader book and the supplements when they were released back in the day ... I also had all the White Dwarf issues with the rules (oh those Squat Imperial lists... the beginning of the end :( ).

The background and fluff has always been very cool and easy to immerse yourself in :) ... it is always nice to be reminded because... 'you never know'... you may have forgotten :D (especially with a memory like mine! :D ).

#20 Raglan

Raglan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,130 posts
  • LocationMonmouthshire

Posted 14 June 2015 - 09:43 PM

Loving these little stumpy fellows!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users