poom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 March 2015 - 06:04 PM

Thanks!

Love it! The Thanatar has real character, a war machine that has stomped around on worlds beyond number.

The Secutors look horrendously brutal with their black robes. I guess you bought the pack of nine to get the weapons? I'm considering that myself...

I have only those three. I bought the extra weapons in a bits shop.

Is the dust on the base fixed? If so how did you do it, as you have kept a good dry dusty look. Very nice.

There is a little bit of unsealed pigment on the base. But as I mostly play at home this is not a problem for me.

I would just not recoment to transport them in a foam tray where something actually touches the base, better to glue a magnet under the base and transport them in a metal (cookie)box.

#42 poom

poom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 March 2015 - 08:40 AM

Hey guys,
had finnaly a game with the Redjak! I basicly fielded everything that is painted, exept the assassine. It came to 1500 points.
My friend had his Ottomans - in space - Astra Militarum, but sadly forgot to bring one of his miniaturecases containing most of the tanks.. so without his big guns you can imagine how it played out..

01_1.jpg

02_1.jpg

1500%20Teaser.jpg

03_1.jpg

10_1.jpg
  • kingofcephalopods, Mosschop and Meatgrinder like this

#43 poom

poom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 March 2015 - 08:45 AM

04_1.jpg

05_1.jpg

06_1.jpg

07_1.jpg

08_1.jpg

09_1.jpg
  • kingofcephalopods, LeeroyTheSonic, Mosschop and 2 others like this

#44 Mosschop

Mosschop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 10:36 AM

Looks great man! Both armies have a cool theme. What exactly happened in the game? Did anything go totally against what you expected? What were your best units?

#45 poom

poom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 March 2015 - 11:19 AM

It was sadly a pretty onesided game. He just had not the guns to make enough wounds on the high toughness automata and had no s10 to instakill anything.
The castellax were awesome bulletsponges and with one flamer each and the maulerbolter very flexible. I played the Secutors with volkite charger, together with the one from the magos they killed 22 soldiers out of a big combined squad in just one turn.

The Thanatar also very hard to kill, even with 5 lascannons and a Vanquisher-gun shooting nearly every turn he did not die. Even 5 deepstriking Sicons with meltas could not bring him down.

The thralls did also a good job keeping the Ogrins busy until the Thallax arrived. Definitly gonna get more from them, thing is they are pretty timeconsuming to convert..

Looking forward to finish the triaros and get a bit more mobility for the Secutors.

#46 Natanael

Natanael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts
  • LocationLund, Sweden

Posted 28 March 2015 - 01:38 PM

Fantastic looking armies, both of you! I love how the pictures really make it look like the mech just moved forward, shooting down anything that came in their path. I guess that is pretty much what happened as well :P 

#47 Ceadus

Ceadus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:50 PM

Your army is just looking awesome! Very nice and smooth black. Also the bases are top of the class, how did you do them? Would be nice to know, with the new Adeptus mech. just around the corner ;)

#48 Ahzeek

Ahzeek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 31 March 2015 - 12:44 AM

New skittari gw stuff could be a cheaper option for thralls I'm thinking about ditching my hopes of settling on a legion and going admech.
  • corublo likes this

#49 poom

poom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 31 March 2015 - 02:40 PM

Fantastic looking armies, both of you! I love how the pictures really make it look like the mech just moved forward, shooting down anything that came in their path. I guess that is pretty much what happened as well :P

Hehe yes this is pretty much what happend. Next game will be over Easter, I exprect a wall of tracked metal this time ;)

Your army is just looking awesome! Very nice and smooth black. Also the bases are top of the class, how did you do them? Would be nice to know, with the new Adeptus mech. just around the corner ;)

It is very simple actually. I start by painting the sand Banblade Brown and the stones Charadon Granite. So a light brown for most of the base and a dark grey for the stones. Then I brush on the hole base Standard Rust Pigment from MIG. I use it dry, directly out of the pot. Blow away all loose pigments and seal it with MIG pigment fixer. When this is dry I go again with pigments, Standard Rust and on some places a little bit Light Rust. Blow away all loose pigments and you are done.

The very bright effect comes from the unsealed pigments (also the dark paint scheme helps), the downsied of this is that you will loose some over time, so if you plan on transporting your miniatures I would not recoment to use a foamtray. Better to glue a magnet under the base and transport them in a metal box so nothing comes in direct contact with the base.

I am very excited about the Skitarii models and I really want to include them in my army. Can you imagine them in a dark color scheme, with the skull heads and cabeling like my Thralls? I think they will look awesome!

But I really don’t want to use the Skitarii models as Thrall stand-ins. In my opinion they make a poor proxy.  Skitarii are in my imagination elite warriors, breeded, trained and equipped only for war. And I think the GW models represent this pretty good, with the beautiful armor plates, bionics and decorated weapons.
Thralls on the other hand are worker that in case of war get crude las-weapons attached and are send to the meat grinder. They have a high strength, because of physical labor, a poor ballistic skill and get only the most basic equipment.
Can you imagine a proud Skitarii, shooting as bad as an orc? I can’t ;)

Of course it helps that I love the FW Thrall models (they even might be my favorite figures in this army) and I still have many unassembled, so there is, at least in my case, no need for an alternative.

What I think is a much better unit to use the Skitarii models for, are the Solar Auxilliar.
They all come with a good armor and good equipment, like those super las-rifles. Also the storm section comes with ballistic skill 4, what gives them the same stat line like the GW Skitarii.
So what I am thinking right now, is a very small allied Solar Auxilliar detachment, with a big blob of “ranger” Skitarii as normal troops, a 10 man Volkite storm section represented by “vanguard” Skitarii and a basic HQ. This would also give me an excuse to get some of those nice Malcador based tanks.. oh my..

But nothing is carved in stone jet, I am really looking forward to what else will be coming for this army (or is it armies? Rumors coming so fast I can’t really follow). Maybe it will then be much easier to just use the GW rules and ally them (if my opponent has nothing against it of course) with the Taghmata Omnissiah.

Anyway, this will be some very interesting weeks :)

• Ceadus likes this

#50 poom

poom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 April 2015 - 02:53 PM

3 Vorax are build:

Vorax01%2003.jpg

Beautiful models, I don't see any need for conversions. They are perfect the way they are :)

Also been working on a Lord of War. Can somebody guess what it will be?

Skorpion01%2001.jpg

Skorpion01%2002.jpg

Skorpion01%2003.jpg

I bet Coopervisor will be able to :rolleyes:

• Coopervisor and kingofcephalopods like this

#51 Coopervisor

Coopervisor

Boy Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,769 posts
  • LocationStokyo, UK

Posted 04 April 2015 - 03:15 PM

Oh nice! Looking forward to seeing more of that ;)

"The chicken is radiating disorder out into the wider universe"

Mechanicum: http://heresy30k.inv...tle-mechanicum/

Questoris Knights + Household Guard: http://heresy30k.inv...auxilia-allies/

Word Bearers: http://heresy30k.inv...hes-of-empires/

#52 Cobra6

Cobra6

The Favored Son

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts
  • LocationNOVA

Posted 04 April 2015 - 06:16 PM

Do I recognize a Brass Scorpion?

#53 poom

poom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 April 2015 - 09:53 PM

Exactly, a Brass Scorpion :)

Cooper, I hope you don't mind me stealing this Idea from you. It is just such a good fit for my army, as for one I had the model lying around since ages (I bought it for a deamon army that I never finished..) and secondly it is also very nice to explain from the fluff perspectiv, as Sarum will be later after the civil war, Khornes favorite Hell-Forge. It makes sense that the Redjak Cult, with joining the rebelion and all, did already produce prototypes during the Horus Heresy.

And well.. it is a kick-ass modell, very "grimdark" :wub:

Here you can see Magos Redjak personally overseeing the construction of the prototype:

Skorpion01%2004.jpg

I cut off some of the chaos decoration and replaced the tail weapons with one clean mini-gun. With plastic card I did some minor decorations and also I will not use any of the blades. I think when painted it will fit pretty good into the army.

• Draaco He`stan, Mounty_chris, LeeroyTheSonic and 1 other like this

#54 Meatgrinder

Meatgrinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Location55765 Ellweiler, RLP

Posted 05 April 2015 - 07:47 AM

Very cool stuff and so much fun to see your army grow !

#55 Matus

Matus

I am Reductor.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 April 2015 - 08:37 AM

I'm very interested in seeing that scorpion finished!

#56 corublo

corublo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 12:10 PM

Holy shit can't wait to see this!!! Is it going to be representing a castigator?

Your Dark Mechanicum force is one of the best around, on both sides of the civil war!

http://corublo.imgur.com/

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able

to entertain a thought without accepting it. -Aristotle

7Lty9TL.jpg

#57 Mounty_chris

Mounty_chris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 06 April 2015 - 06:01 PM

Man. I wish I had a brass scorpion lying around :-)

#58 Ceadus

Ceadus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:23 PM

Looking really awesome! Can't wait to see your newest conversion.

Do you have a quick resumee for your recipe for painting black? It would be much appreciated for a Raven Guard tester ;)

#59 Sektor

Sektor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • LocationMontréal, Québec

Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:36 PM

Nice little conversions on the Brass Scorpion to make it less Chaos-y, love the idea and I can't wait to see it built!

#60 poom

poom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 April 2015 - 01:11 PM

Holy shit can't wait to see this!!! Is it going to be representing a castigator?

I was considering it, all I needed to do was replacing the big gun with a Blood Slautherer head:
Skorpion01%2005.jpg
But I decided against it, as i realy like the original design.. heaving no head but a giant gunbarrel instead is just to awesome to let it go.
So I will play him with the original rules, only thing that does not fit very well in the 30k era is the Khorne rule about psi resistance, so I will just play him without it.

Looking really awesome! Can't wait to see your newest conversion.
Do you have a quick resumee for your recipe for painting black? It would be much appreciated for a Raven Guard tester ;)

Sure, np. I undercoat chos black spray and then drybrush 3 grey tones. First eshin grey, then dawnstone and at the end a little bit of fortress grey. The models then will look like those I am working right now:
Castellax02_07.jpg
I try to drybrush on every black element a gradiant from pure chaos black to a very light grey.
After that I will wash it with a 50/50 mix of Armypainter Dark Tone and water to darken it and to blend the colors togeather. Btw the new GW washes work not so good for this stage I relay recomend the old Nuln Oil or those from Armypainter.
Now I add the decals and afterwords wash it with a black/brownish oilwash. And thats it :)

The scorpion now stands:

Skorpion01%2006.jpg

Some gaps still need to be filled but soon the painting can start :)

• Mounty_chris, corublo and Ceadus like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users