26 replies to this topic

#1 Mike French

Mike French

Ordo Moderatus

• Moderators
  • 11,386 posts
  • LocationSalisbury, Wiltshie, UK

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:44 AM

I'm on a bit of a roll with the dreadnaughts at the moment and I've decided to finish off the talon of 3 standard box dreads.

Usually I kit my leviathan and contemptor Dreads out with duel close combat weapons but am open to options with these fellas, to make them a bit more worth while taking.

My Leviathans are 3x 1 claw and 1 drill and my contemptors are 3x duel ccw with Grav. All in pods or the Stormbird.

As I have plenty of anti vehicle in the form of dreads, I'd be keen to make them more geared towards chopping troops up.

What are your thoughts on kitting them out?
  • RobertJom, JessieBog, DanielEr and 3 others like this

#2 sedobren

sedobren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:07 PM

If you are going for fire, the most shooty anti infantry is likely the double culverin (also you should play it as a mortis dreadnought!)

Still, vanilla dreads only have bs 4, so depending on where you are gonna play them (normal games? zone mortalis?) you could consider either a flamestorm cannon or a double fist with double heavy flamer

#3 Mike French

Mike French

Ordo Moderatus

• Moderators
  • 11,386 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:37 PM

I do like the idea of book burners with flamestorm cannons. It would allow me to keep them in a talon of 3. Maybe add a chainfist on the off chance they stroll across a vehicle.

#4 drweir4

drweir4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:24 PM

I've only used box dreads in heresy as mortis with dual autos and dual las, and I don't use them much anymore tbh

I think they can still be cool, especially in ZM, but they feel really weak compared to the cortus

I'd really like to have some of the FW mark IV with claws and maybe flamestorm, as those look great and are sufficiently distinctive to stand out on a heresy battlefield filled with amazing toys

#5 Bluetip

Bluetip

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationManchester, United Kingdom

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:35 PM

I've just acquired 2 pairs of heavy bolters so will be running them on a Mortis in my Luna Wolves army. That being said, i'm in absolutely no way a competitive player but just really love heavy bolters (see my 10-man heavy support squad for proof. 90 odd shots, 3 kills...).

#6 Raglan

Raglan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,130 posts
  • LocationMonmouthshire

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:17 PM

Heresy with 7th ed, it has to be all close combat weapons. 

Heresy with 8th ed, other more shooty options are viable. 

#7 Penddraig

Penddraig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,501 posts
  • LocationArlesey, Bedfordshire

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:48 PM

I concur with Volkite options. Possibly think about the Kheres?
'Let us speak now of the death of kings...' - Richard II
Sons of Horus 131st Company "The Kingslayers" http://aus30k.com/30...itle=L-XVI-3752
'Better to reign in Hell then serve in Heaven!' - John Milton, Paradise Lost
'What is it about my leadership that makes you think I tolerate failure?' - Ezekyle Abaddon, Black Legion

#8 Gizur

Gizur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationNuernberg / Germany

Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:14 AM

I have One with Flamestorm and the other one with a plasma canon in my wolves Army.

#9 Mike French

Mike French

Ordo Moderatus

• Moderators
  • 11,386 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:22 PM

I concur with Volkite options. Possibly think about the Kheres?

I wasn't aware the box dread had Kheres.

#10 Penddraig

Penddraig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,501 posts
  • LocationArlesey, Bedfordshire

Posted 25 July 2017 - 09:18 PM

My bad, thought we were talking Contemptors.
'Let us speak now of the death of kings...' - Richard II
Sons of Horus 131st Company "The Kingslayers" http://aus30k.com/30...itle=L-XVI-3752
'Better to reign in Hell then serve in Heaven!' - John Milton, Paradise Lost
'What is it about my leadership that makes you think I tolerate failure?' - Ezekyle Abaddon, Black Legion

#11 Masterplan96

Masterplan96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 02:24 PM

I've got a dual Volkite Contemptor for the 1K Sons which looks great but doesn't actually kill too much. Also twin volkite is not an option for a mortis contemptor so has to be run as a standard one or a cortus which is a shame.

#12 Mike French

Mike French

Ordo Moderatus

• Moderators
  • 11,386 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 04:16 PM

Not a contemptor guys, its for a talon of 3 box dreads.

#13 BrotherOracle

BrotherOracle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:25 AM

FlameStorms and chain fists, or twin missile launchers (they're each twinlinked!) with two hunter killers for macross missile storm good

• Bluetip likes this

#14 Momonga

Momonga

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 12:47 PM

Dude, I never realised that they could take Missile launchers in a mortis configuration AND they're both twin linked!!! Holy crap I am all over this. Three Dreads with that load-out making a opening salvo is just to cool of a visual.

How do you get right armed missile launchers though? 

#15 Bluetip

Bluetip

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationManchester, United Kingdom

Posted 04 August 2017 - 02:59 PM

How do you get right armed missile launchers though? 

Forgeworld used to make them but now it's an ebay or trading site job, I'm afraid. 

But you're right, that would look really cool visually and thematically. 

#16 Mike French

Mike French

Ordo Moderatus

• Moderators
  • 11,386 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 03:03 PM

You could create your own from the new sicaran turret 😁

#17 Alaric

Alaric

Resident Dickhead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:52 PM

ML and Las. They useless in CC. They are easy to hide tho and most enemies won't invest fire in taking them out. 

#18 Spudasaurous

Spudasaurous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:16 AM

Am i the only one who is completely underwhelmed by dual kheres contemptors against marines? I've ran one in my last 4 games and they just dont seem to have the killing ppwer I'd expected as the 3+ of power armour just blocks so many shots. Perhaps it's because my regular opponents don't take a lot of light armour which iswhat i hear they are good for.

Dual CC Contemptors on the other hand is a mean mother who just smashes squads to bits every game.

I'm also now a big fan if Leviathans and the grav flux bombard in particular as that slaughters power armoured troops with ease. The storm cannon on the other hand I'm not so crazy about.

#19 Thatguy91

Thatguy91

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:45 PM

Ill chip in on the discussion even though im a little late to the party.

I run quite a few box dreads regularly, i find that they are kinda hit and miss because of their lower survivability. Having said that, i think they are a bargain.

I have two that i regularly use as Mortis' along with a deredeo for some serious anti air & light to medium anti tank. I run one with dual las and hunter-killers and one with dual missiles and the hunter killers. Most people tend to focus on the deredeo (which always surprises me with its survivability!) I find so they usually get to churn out a ton of shots at anything and everything.

As for my three normal box dreads i run them with a combination of anti-infantry weapons and chainfists. Usually 2 of them with chainfist/flamestorm and one with a plasma cannon/chainfist w/plasma blaster. The plasma dread is a butcher. Having that much AP2 + hitting any termies at initiative usually annihilates anything with 5 or less models.

They are however vulnerable to a ton of mid strength weapons. I really like them in larger games as there are usually other targets that your opponent are forced to focus on.

#20 Still standing

Still standing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 10:11 PM

I've got 3 box dreads. They have the AP3 Heavy Flamer, a regular Heavy Flamer, a Storm Bolter and a combat weapon. They are so shit. Use them if you like the look. Don't use them if you want them to do anything. Get Contemptors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users