• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Lone Monkey

Lone Monkey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 06:54 AM

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, as it’s not really an army list. Not yet anyways.

I am a long-time Death Guard player who decided to trade in his Barbarus heritage for some Mechadenrites. I’ve made several purchases and am in the process of building/painting what I have, but am struggling with a list and/or what to buy next to make said list cohesive and playable.

I’d kinda just gone “Oooooh Shiny” and bought what I like, or folded in what I have that's compatible without any foresight as to how well it would all go together. This is where you gents come in. I could use a hand pointing me to the next best steps in building a 3k Mechanicum list.

Without further ado, here’s what I have.

Magos Dominus

Converted Archmagos (can stand in as Scoria)

Castellax w/ Mauler x2

Castellax w/ Multi-melta x2

Thallax x6

Secutarii Peltasts x10

Secutarii Hoplites x10

Vultarax Stratos-Automota

Voss Pattern Lightning

Arvus Lighter

Thanatar Siege-Automota

Macrocarid Explorator

Questoris Knight Errant

Acastus Knight Porphyrion

Now, I know I have a playable list here, but I cannot for the life of me make it into one I am happy with. I feel like I’m on the cusp of a decent Legio Cybernetica list, but can also run vanilla Taghmata just as well (I am pretty far off from a Reductor list).

Any and all input is greatly appreciated. 

• Walterhof, DanielEr and ManuelTiz like this

#2 Raglan

Raglan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,288 posts
  • LocationMonmouthshire

Posted 08 July 2017 - 03:20 PM

I think you are best just running a list you like and learning from your game experiences.

In other words, suck it and see buddy.  

#3 Coopervisor

Coopervisor

Boy Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts
  • LocationStokyo, UK

Posted 09 July 2017 - 05:28 PM

It is good advice to have a few games with things to see how you feel about them. You'll get an idea where you can swap things out.

One thing i'd say on the Securatii is they tend to perform in bigger squads. 

I user 20 of each type in, each squad in a Triaros getting them forward, then their numbers and toughness (for humans...) can make them a threat that can stick around.

If so, then a Axiarch can work, it's a cheap choice and it's boost can make the Securatii even stronger and adaptable. 

"The chicken is radiating disorder out into the wider universe"

Mechanicum: http://heresy30k.inv...tle-mechanicum/

Questoris Knights + Household Guard: http://heresy30k.inv...auxilia-allies/

Word Bearers: http://heresy30k.inv...hes-of-empires/

#4 Lone Monkey

Lone Monkey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:48 PM

Yeah, I realize tossing the models on the board and rolling dice is the ideal way to get a feel for things. I Guess I was more looking for other's experiences to advise on what I have and what may be good with it. 

I really like the idea of 20 Secutarii in a Triaros and may be leaning that route soon. I'd like to include an Axiarch, but since he can'y join a squad, he feels a little out of place to me. 

#5 Coopervisor

Coopervisor

Boy Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts
  • LocationStokyo, UK

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:38 AM

On the topic of the Axiarch, I've agreed with my opponent that she can join other secutarii units. Hoping it's just a typo that means he can't. Otherwise, before we agreed that, I'd keep her hidden in the back field. Gives out the buffs but didn't do much else.

As for further advice, what sort of armies will you be facing? Do you need a balanced force to take on all comers or do you have a fixed army you'll be facing more often?

#6 drweir4

drweir4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:17 AM

I'd echo the above that thinking through a cohesive theme / narrative for your army is the best place to start - all the choices will come much easier once you decide that

In terms of the models you've got, you basically have 2 choices - cybernetica or tagmata. The issue you'll have with cybernetica is that you then can't take the secutarii

So you may be best doing a mixed tagamata either with allied knights or just with the errant as a LOW

How are the thallax and peltasts armed?

#7 Lone Monkey

Lone Monkey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:33 PM

As for further advice, what sort of armies will you be facing? Do you need a balanced force to take on all comers or do you have a fixed army you'll be facing more often?

My typical opponents are Infantry heavy Ultramarines, with Dreadnought support (Leviathan and Deredeo), Fellblade and Fire Raptor equipped Blood Angels, and Iron Warriors led by Perturabo. 

How are the thallax and peltasts armed?

Peltasts are all armed with the Galvanic-casters upgraded to Kinetic Hammershots. The Thallax are stock Lightning Guns, which will be given Heavy Chainblades and the Ferrox upgrade. 

#8 drweir4

drweir4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 09:40 AM

Ok, I reckon looking at what you've got you should do an tagamata themed around an Archimandrite Archmagos - you've got a disparate set of units, so one theme could be that all the bits of the tagamata/forge world have sent units to be part of his honour guard

You also have a lot of reserve based units, so I think you really want the +1 to reserves

I've run the points, and there's I *think* not a terrible 3k list in what you have already, although I think you're light on scoring units

Archimandrite archmagos - full upgrades + weapons to suit

Magos domus - full upgrades + weapons to suit

3 thallax, heavy chainblades - go in macrocarid w archmagos

3 thallax, heavy chainblades

2 castlax, maulers, frags

2 castellax, MM, flamers, powerblades - go with magos dominus

10 peltasts, hammershot, augry, omnipex

10 hoplites, augry, omnipex - go in arvus

Arvus, twin autocannon

Lightnign, ground tracking, battle servitor. 2x2 krakens

vulturax

Thanatar w targeter and paragon (paragon so it can stay back outside of cortex range)

Macrocarid w grav imploder, 2xirrad, flare, AC 

Knight Errant

Ideally you'd have some thralls to do bulk scoring, and then maybe something like myrmydons to go with the archmagos in the macrocarid

#9 Coopervisor

Coopervisor

Boy Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts
  • LocationStokyo, UK

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:51 AM

My typical opponents are Infantry heavy Ultramarines, with Dreadnought support (Leviathan and Deredeo), Fellblade and Fire Raptor equipped Blood Angels, and Iron Warriors led by Perturabo.

Peltasts are all armed with the Galvanic-casters upgraded to Kinetic Hammershots. The Thallax are stock Lightning Guns, which will be given Heavy Chainblades and the Ferrox upgrade.

I've had success with 6 Thallax with ferox and chain blades. They do need to pick their targets and get the charge to make the most of them, but are tough and having 6 lightning guns adds the ability to take on other targets.

Hammer time peltasts are also strong. Can do a large amount of damage quite quickly, especially with an Axiarch giving them preferred enemy infantry.

I did use Legion Cybernetica, led by Anachris (who is really a beast in combat and can face down primarch), but recently I've switched to Ordo Reductor or Taghmata solely down to loving the Secutarii squads.

The main issue being the lack of scoring in automata heavy lists. Which if you play the Age of Darkness missions alot can mean you struggle against some legion lists that have scoring units all over.

You have most bases covered, and I think you have a spread of units that will force you opponent to make choices about what they target the heavy weapons against.

#10 niftyvt

niftyvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:51 AM

Personally, I just buy the things I think are cool and that I think would be fun to assemble/paint and then try and figure it out from there gaming wise.  :lol:

#11 Lone Monkey

Lone Monkey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:50 PM

Thanks for the replies so far everyone! I have a fair bit to think over yet :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users