#121 storm666

storm666

Jens Rosemann

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • LocationEssen, Germany

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:42 AM

I also really like the primarchs you made. But the problem with the high damage weapons still stands. In 7th you rarely take more than one wound per attack and with eternal warrior only destroyer hits can inflict multiple wounds. In 8th there are a lot of weapons that do more than one damage per shot. So if you are staring into four lascannons you are more or less dead or severely damaged.

I like the idea of mounty_chris. Maybe with one addendum:

They are characters with more than 10 wounds, they degrade over damage and they can only be shot at, if there is no Legiones Astartes Infantry Unit within 6". So you can bubble wrap them but if there is only a tank nearby, you can gun them down.

Or you go with the other idea, that damage is halved for them to represent their resilience to damage. Or all damage about 3 is always reduced to three? Multiple options. 

"All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth."

- Lorgar Aurelian, Primarch of the Word Bearers Legion, Chosen of Chaos Undivided and Bearer of the Word

#122 ShasVa

ShasVa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 01:07 PM

In an earlier draft, I did try to represent their 7th edition Primarch rule, which itself had a bunch of rules for them. I've attempted to translate most of them as follows:

- Automatically pass Morale tests (Fearless)
- Enemy units within 6" subtract 1 from their Leadership (Fear)
- Ignore penalties for using Assault and Heavy weapons (Relentless)

- Advance without rolling a die for distance, can shoot and charge after advancing (Fleet?)
- Attempt deny the witch even if not a Psyker (Adamantium Will)
- Ignore unsaved wounds on a D6 roll of 6, or 5+ (It Will Not Die)

These would be wrapped into one ability; Primarch of the <Legion name>.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I'd also like to know how the writer(s) of the original Legion Astartes PDF got it to look like a legit Forgeworld book, what with it's clear font and multiple columns/tables of text on what looks like A4 pages (I've used A3 pages so I can fit more in without squashing it).

#123 Caddac

Caddac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationMeath - Ireland

Posted 17 August 2017 - 01:33 PM

Thats pretty good representation of a Primarch generic rule there. Like it. Auto pass morale to all units within 6"?

#124 ArbitorIan

ArbitorIan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:06 PM

I'm going to try and fold some of those Primarch rules into the ones we already had, and maybe post some examples tomorrow eve.

We've been leaning more towards using the 8ed Guilliman as the 'base level' a primarch should operate at, though, which is with significantly less special rules than they had in 7e. I think one of the major advantages of 8e is NOT having ten special rules per model if we can possibly help it!

For example, 8ed Guilliman has a move of 8", which represents that he's faster than normal Marines a lot more simply than by writing an analog special rule for Fleet. We control their weapon stats, so we can just not give them weapons that list as heavy or assault. And characters never take Morale tests anyway as they can't lose models. THATS THREE RULES GONE!

I also agree that some of the weapons are really, really powerful compared to the 7ed primarch.

Either way, will post some examples asap.

Regarding the formatting, a lot of this is Grifftofer who's been putting these together but suffice to say, we both are reasonably proficient InDesign users, and we just managed to measure (from scans) the correct spacing, use the blank backgrounds from here. I'll see if I can fit them all on one page of A4 tomorrow!!

#125 ShasVa

ShasVa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:52 AM

I will definitely trim the rules down on the Primarchs (and Legion-specific characters) where I can. Keep them condensed rather than bloated ala 7e.

#126 fezza213

fezza213

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 06:24 AM

speaking of trimming down, is it work simply adding the extra attack from digital weapons into the profile of the praetor?

#127 Caddac

Caddac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationMeath - Ireland

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:06 AM

Question. Looking at the Predator in particular, states you can take vehicle upgrades. Did you intend Pred's to have access to "Power of the Machine Spirit"?

#128 ShasVa

ShasVa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:48 AM

EDIT: This could take a while. I'm running into problems using Libreoffice Writer, trying to use the image I have as a background that I can write text over, without selecting the image.

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

This new file above will be the final look for my document. At the moment it has barely anything, but I will continue to work on it. In the meantime, feel free to continue viewing my other document with the Primarchs in it at https://drive.google...R3N4TzdEVVFTSVk

Thanks to all those who have helped me out so far in this venture. I look forward to finishing this document of mine. To the author(s) of the Legion Astartes 8th Edition Compilation, feel free to integrate my new document (the first link) into your own.

#129 ArbitorIan

ArbitorIan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:04 AM

This new file above will be the final look for my document. At the moment it has barely anything, but I will continue to work on it. In the meantime, feel free to continue viewing my other document with the Primarchs in it at https://drive.google...R3N4TzdEVVFTSVk

Thanks to all those who have helped me out so far in this venture. I look forward to finishing this document of mine. To the author(s) of the Legion Astartes 8th Edition Compilation, feel free to integrate my new document (the first link) into your own.

Thanks for the help!

We've gone through and incorporated the Primarch document into our own (mushed them together with what we had), and also finished off Legion traits (in line with how the 8ed SM/CSM ones are going). Just finishing off the Legion specific units and Rites over the next couple of days. Handily, the one thing we haven't done much work on yet is the Characters, so it's very handy that this is the route you've taken!!

#130 ShasVa

ShasVa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:22 AM

Glad to hear that my contribution is appreciated. :)

I believe I've sorted out the LibreOffice problem, sort of. I will be able to continue work on Legion Astartes Characters document (which also includes Primarchs of course).

If you want Kor Phaeron and Erebus included, let me know. I'm just excluding them out of personal bias (they're dicks!). I could at least include Kor Phaeron maybe, if I took out his Chaos-specific rules? Let me know anyway and I'll include them both if necessary.

I'll keep uploading new revisions to Google Docs as soon as I can. Just takes time to translate the rules from 7th to 8th, as you well know.

#131 ArbitorIan

ArbitorIan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:00 PM

Glad to hear that my contribution is appreciated. :)
I believe I've sorted out the LibreOffice problem, sort of. I will be able to continue work on Legion Astartes Characters document (which also includes Primarchs of course).
If you want Kor Phaeron and Erebus included, let me know. I'm just excluding them out of personal bias (they're dicks!). I could at least include Kor Phaeron maybe, if I took out his Chaos-specific rules? Let me know anyway and I'll include them both if necessary.
I'll keep uploading new revisions to Google Docs as soon as I can. Just takes time to translate the rules from 7th to 8th, as you well know.

Great A I'll also see if we can get the Legion rules into a simple shareable format so that can inform character rules!

Obviously you can produce your documents however you'd prefer, but when we're including these into the Indesign document, we'll be redoing the formatting to match, so just the simple black/white layout you used for the primarchs is good for us!!

#132 ShasVa

ShasVa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:27 PM

I did want a professional touch to them, but if simplicity is all that is needed, I can happily oblige.

#133 Wolf Lord Loki

Wolf Lord Loki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:24 PM

Grifftofer, I just sent you a pdf link for my Primarch concepts.

For everyone else, here is the link. If it doesn't work let me know.

Looks good. One thing i would not is in alpharius profile.

If HORUS doesnt act then ULTRAMARINES get a bonus? Definately some alpha legion shinanegans going on there!!

:-)

Id put magnus at use 4 powers and deny 3 personally

#134 EdTat

EdTat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationJust So. Of Buffalo NY

Posted Today, 12:32 AM

Question. Looking at the Predator in particular, states you can take vehicle upgrades. Did you intend Pred's to have access to "Power of the Machine Spirit"?

I'm interested about the machine spirit rule also, that could be huge for predators, also, for whirlwind scorpious, which can be fielded in squadrons it appears, ( insert evil grin here ). Add a Javelin Attack Speeder, and your shots all hit .... I'snt that nice?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users