Photo

What is it that's good with Space Wolves?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Natanael

Natanael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts
  • LocationLund, Sweden

Posted 29 June 2017 - 07:37 AM

Hi guys. 

I've played my SW for a couple of games now. Mostly against my friends AL, but also against Slamanders and Blackshields, and I have to say that I am pretty dissapointed. I guess I had pretty high expectations on how they were gonna perfrom, and they were just not met. I've tried running spartan and land raiders filled with angry axe dudes, I've run the full foot-slogging force using the +1 run and run+charge of the Grey Slayers, and I've played around with including terminators, as well as Russ or my Shadowsword. But somehow I just feel like the SW are mostly generic marines with some special wepons on the HQs and not much else. 

Sure, the Grey Slayers can take a bunch of weapons and cool stuff, but they still dont work that well in rhinos and die before coming into CC if they run across the table. The Varagyr are just expensive, and the Deathsworn are nice, but almost always overkill I feel (unless you go up against another super-squad). 

I don't want to sound like a total downer here, however. The legion rules are pretty nice, and give a lot of bonuses. The +1 WS and counter-attack are just ace, and +1 run negates the -1charge for Grey Slayers so that's nice. And as I usually play with the Bloodied Claws RoW, the +1S when charging makes them pretty nasty. But all of this just makes them another boring assault army, in my mind. Perhaps I've just grown tired of that way of playing, I don't know. They are not that different from my WBs with Gal Vorbak and Tac's with chaplain etc. And playing them hanging back shooting seems like a waste of rules. 

I usually play 2500-3000p games, +/- 500p. What do you guys think is the "correct" way to play SW? And what do you think is the most fun way to play them? Is there something I'm missing?

Cheers, 

/ Nat

• dianepi60, Walterhof, JessieBog and 2 others like this

#2 Mike French

Mike French

Ordo Moderatus

• Moderators
  • 11,014 posts
  • LocationSalisbury, Wiltshie, UK

Posted 29 June 2017 - 08:05 AM

I've varied my force quite a bit for when it's ready for gaming. I wa t the ability to run my army in different ways to keep my regular opponents guessing and keep me interested. I don't like the idea of just picking one way of war. You only need to read the list of wolves companies in book 7 to realise that each company is totally different.

I've got,

some pods and claws underway to run orbital assault,

terminators to run pride,

3 Rhinos, 2 landraiders and 1 spartan for armoured.

Fast units such as bikes, jetbikes, speeders and lightnings as well as seekers and possibly scouts to create a 13th Company "Corpse Renders" pursuit force, using Pale Hunters RoW.

3 leviathans, 3 contemptors and am in the process of building 3 box dreads, all in pods.

Lots of aircraft for aircav

I've been waiting for the FW models to be released before stating the main body of troops so this has given me plenty of time to get the vehicles and dreads done.

I think the good thing about the wolves units and rules is that there is plenty of room to change how you play. Yes they're close combat orientated but getting them there can be varied with each game.

#3 Thogg

Thogg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 29 June 2017 - 02:52 PM

Too high expectations mate, they're not the crazy auto-win army non-believers whined about with their release! ;)

I've gone full orbital assault with them and it's worked fairly well, 50/50 in 2000p games so far. Russ in claw with command squad unlocks vet squads for troops, these go in regular pods for snipong shenanigans and turn 2/3 charges, lightning takes down hard targets. This way they play pretty much like they used to un 7th 40k, drop down, heavy 1st turn shooting and then charge to capitalize on the superior cc-capability.

I think you're plain playing them a bit wrong really, at least if you're aiming for an assault-themed army. Spartan's good and all but if it's the only assault vehicle it won't do, you need 2-3 land raiders and /or assault claws, to get those extra units in cc at the same time, timing is essential really. A lone spartan is great for carrying a counter-assault unit in a shooty army, like my IH for example. Going with rhinos for assault is difficult too, they need to weather a lot of fire before reaching the front and then the unit in inside is sitting ducks for another turn, your opponent has plenty of time dealing with them. You seldom see a WE assault army riding in Rhinos, right? ;)

I'm not a fan of foot-slogging forces so can't give you any advice there.

I would either invenst in pods or raiders to make the assault more assault-y, or go with a build that can shoot more and then follow up with a decent charge.

• Natanael likes this

#4 Raglan

Raglan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,288 posts
  • LocationMonmouthshire

Posted 29 June 2017 - 08:02 PM

They are the Vikings of the heresy and subsequently geeks liking the drinking, pillaging and raping image of these Norsemen space marines (but the weirdos mainly like the raping).

#5 Grieux

Grieux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 09:09 AM

The best part is our fluff and character :) I think the key to the wolves is always play to the mission, not just as an X army, whether that X is assault or whatever.

If the mission is an objective, grey slayers will hold the line with combat Shields, counter attack and some bolters. If the mission is hunt and kill, go full berserker with Bloodied Claws and 15 power swords on your grey slayers for 5 points each, if it's a relic use Pale Hunters for maximum mobility and fuck enemy charge lanes, etc etc.

The Rout is not about killing, assault or a particular form of warfare, it's all about accomplishing the mission and I feel Alan gave us all the tools to do just that.
  • Gizur likes this

#6 Wolf Lord Loki

Wolf Lord Loki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 09:07 AM

I agree with Greiux. Play to the mission.

My main opponent plays Imperial Fists so about as subborn and shooty as you get!! But the first time i beat him i lost all bar two models (Russ and a Caestus) but i still won the game. How? Simple- the objectives were to get into the opposite deployment zone. I threw everything into delaying his advance across the table and grabbed it with the caestus final turn

You might not be able to crush all before you but you have got some of the best all purpose units in the game
  • Gizur likes this

#7 Natanael

Natanael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts
  • LocationLund, Sweden

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:46 AM

Thanks guys. I have a dreadclaw coming to get Russ across the field a bit quicker, and free up some room in the spartan. I've also been looking at veteran squads, so I'll probably use them. I have 4 rhinos after all, so can make them work pretty well. We'll see how that goes. 

I've also been thinking about outriders. Since they have outflank and SW gets to re-roll sides for that. Add in the +1WS and a PW or two on the bike squad I figure they should be quite a pain for enemies when coupled with the regular army coming at them from the front. What do you guys think? 

Playing the missions is all fine when you know what the mission/opponent is beforehand, but I'm always trying to make a list that I would like to take to an event, not knowing mission or opponents at all. The take all-comers list, so to speak, and I find that hard to do. I do have the benefit of playing quite often, however, so I'll evaluate over time. Today I'll use my new mech toys instead, to have a bit of a break ;) 

• Durfast likes this

#8 Thogg

Thogg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 05 July 2017 - 04:22 PM

There's your problem! There are no take all-comers lists in 30k, at least not for astartes, and that's the beauty of the game! You can make a list that's very good against some particular lists, decent against most others and shite against some other particular lists. That's simply the nature of the game, so pick a style, play 100% to it's strenghts (and the mission!) and take the losses that do come like a man! That's how I treat my IH. They steamroll mechanized and footslogging astartes, give mech quite a droving, but most often break against podding astartaes and horde militia. I can't stop everything ;)

#9 Natanael

Natanael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts
  • LocationLund, Sweden

Posted 05 July 2017 - 05:39 PM

There is always a way to stop everything ;) I just havent figured it our yet, hehe. Picking up my dreadclaw today, so that's a step towards more of an all-comers list. I dont agree with your way of thinking about there being no all-comers lists. I think there can def be. It's just a matter of trying and testing until you  get the right mix. 

#10 Wolf Lord Loki

Wolf Lord Loki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 10:49 AM

We dont know what the mission will be in advance.
We roll for it just before set up.

Play. The. Mission.

The Rout have some of The best tools for it.
I experimented with mass infantry and it did okay but I think having a mix of big units (not more than 15) and mobile units (transports/ pods/ bikes) works really well. Last game I had to rhinos and a regular landraider steam roller toward The enemy and a mass of foot troops running along behind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users