#1 m0nolith

m0nolith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Canada

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:48 PM

Now that the model has been out for a little while, I thought I'd ask the people who run them and the people who play against them how they preform on the battlefield, and if you run them, how often you run them.
I get that running 2 Spartans is better, but it doesn't have that smack that a Mastodon has. It's the definition of rule of cool ;)

Basically, iv been thinking about getting one, but I want to know how much of a detriment is it going to be to have one in an army, or am I blatantly wrong oh it's performance?
  • lokesNum, Larryalell and Segwayzem like this

Formerly known as Proximo

gallery_86352_12089_1713.jpg

Instagram : m0nolith_

#2 Raglan

Raglan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,008 posts
  • LocationMonmouthshire

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:58 PM

Mastodons are purpose built vehicles for creating great big sinking holes in the enemy's fortifications, Spartans can't do that. 

#3 m0nolith

m0nolith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:08 PM

Mastodons are purpose built vehicles for creating great big sinking holes in the enemy's fortifications, Spartans can't do that.

I'll give you that, but how do they do in a standard 3.5k game?

#4 Raglan

Raglan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,008 posts
  • LocationMonmouthshire

Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:10 PM

I'll give you that, but how do they do in a standard 3.5k game?

Only ever played them at 10k plus and always with a specific breaching objective. 

#5 Mike French

Mike French

Ordo Moderatus

• Moderators
  • 11,298 posts
  • LocationSalisbury, Wiltshie, UK

Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:27 PM

I think they're a pretty niche vehicle. Great for games set around their purpose as G said, breaching the enemies defence and unloading your army into his front room. It worked well on his table with the big wall.

Looks aside, I think I'd rather run 2 Spartans. At least you can split them up rather than having a lot of points in one vehicle. Not only are you gonna lose blokes, or have a lot of your points stranded when it blows, you're also moving a big chunk of you're army around in one place at 3.5k. Easier for your opponent to just avoid it and what's inside it for a while. It's harder for him to do that with the 2 Spartans moving up each flank.

Or you could stop dicking about and be a real man. Get a stormbird and strike from the heavens.
  • Penddraig, Orso85, jimmyp and 1 other like this

#6 Alaric

Alaric

Resident Dickhead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:57 PM

Or you could stop dicking about and be a real man. Get a stormbird and strike from the heavens.

:D

#7 m0nolith

m0nolith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 12:09 AM

Fuck that, I already have a Damocles that can strike from the heavens via Battle Barge.

#8 Penddraig

Penddraig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,451 posts
  • LocationArlesey, Bedfordshire

Posted 23 June 2017 - 06:40 AM

Fuck that, I already have a Damocles that can strike from the heavens via Battle Barge.

Once. Stormbirds can do it multiple times while looking better than a Rhino chassis :). I'm with Mike on this one.
'Let us speak now of the death of kings...' - Richard II
Sons of Horus 131st Company "The Kingslayers" http://aus30k.com/30...itle=L-XVI-3752
'Better to reign in Hell then serve in Heaven!' - John Milton, Paradise Lost
'What is it about my leadership that makes you think I tolerate failure?' - Ezekyle Abaddon, Black Legion

#9 drweir4

drweir4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:32 AM

Put a damocles in a stormbird?

• Raktus and FerrusFingers like this

#10 montambro

montambro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 12:08 PM

Maybe 2 stormbirds? Always gotta have a wingman.

#11 Percilius

Percilius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:30 PM

Please if your going attack wing do it properly 1x Stormbird, 2 x thunderhawks, 3 x Fire Raptors and at least 5 x Storm Eagles. Plus all the Drop pods and astra militarum in drop ships on top of that.

#12 storm666

storm666

Jens Rosemann

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationEssen, Germany

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:49 PM

Don't forget some Xiphon Interceptors 

"All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth."

- Lorgar Aurelian, Primarch of the Word Bearers Legion, Chosen of Chaos Undivided and Bearer of the Word

#13 Mike French

Mike French

Ordo Moderatus

• Moderators
  • 11,298 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:54 PM

I have

1x stormbird
2x assault rams
3x storm eagles
2x lightnings
2x Anvillus dreadclaw
4x dread drop pods
6x legion drop pods

Next purchase is 2x Khorybdis and a Thunderhawk.

I just need forgeworld to release the wolves units so I can finish filling them.

If anyone has a Thunderhawk transporter they don't want I could be persuaded to take that from them. 😁
  • storm666 likes this

#14 Shovellovin

Shovellovin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:24 PM

I have

1x stormbird
2x assault rams
3x storm eagles
2x lightnings
2x Anvillus dreadclaw
4x dread drop pods
6x legion drop pods

Next purchase is 2x Khorybdis and a Thunderhawk.

I just need forgeworld to release the wolves units so I can finish filling them.

If anyone has a Thunderhawk transporter they don't want I could be persuaded to take that from them.

Holy smokes! Do you have a photo of all of that together? I'm sure I'm not the only person that would love to see it.

#15 Mike French

Mike French

Ordo Moderatus

• Moderators
  • 11,298 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:02 PM

Afraid not bud. 2 storm eagles are looking to be relocated to another legion and are awaiting some white or red paint. Not sure yet.

Painted is,

Stormbird
1 storm eagle
1 assault ram
2 lightnings
1 Anvillus
6 drop pods.

Built awaiting paint
1 assault ram
4 dread drop pods

Needing built
1 Anvillus

All to be completed by December's Apoc game, and hopefully before FWs Wolves units are released. I'll put one up then.

I do have this, of the completed flight wing. The pods are just painted in Metallic burnt Iron to be used across multiple legions.

20161202_150112_zpsyfmq1gf7_edit_1480691
  • Raktus, Bluetip and Shovellovin like this

#16 Dreagher

Dreagher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:08 PM

Wow!

#17 Percilius

Percilius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:07 PM

Nice pic can't wait to get mine built and painted. Also need to get some games of apocalypse in as well

#18 Dono1979

Dono1979

Narrative Campaign Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 01:04 AM

I have used mine a few times in 3.5 and 4K games and to be perfectly honest they virtually never make their points back. You are almost assured that you will be able to deliver the units inside to where you want to go but the vehicle itself has very limited firepower; the melta is exceptionally short range, the mini guns are anti air and the lascannons will hardly ever be able to fire at the same target. The flamers.... yeah, they will only ever be used as overwatch in all reality.

But like all Super Heavy transports you pay a premium for the transportation capacity.

#19 PastelAvenger

PastelAvenger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts
  • LocationManchester

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:29 AM

Super heavy transports need a rethink at the moment, I know they aren't supposed to deal damage but as they stand the points cost is obscene. The Mastodon does the same job as a Spartan unless it has a breaching objective

#20 PastelAvenger

PastelAvenger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts
  • LocationManchester

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:29 AM

I still want one though
  • Bluetip and Generic-Dave like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users