20 replies to this topic

#1 Irongills

Irongills

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:52 PM

So after attempts to replicate a 'candy red' armor scheme, I've decided to invest in an airbrush. The difficult choice now is to decide which airbrush paint out there to use for the legion. After research, I've found 3 different options and would love ya'lls thoughts: Tamiya Clear Red (easy to get), Angron Red (Not easy to get, but FW original), and Minitaire Ghost Tint Fresh Blood.

Which one of these do you all use? I'd love to see some example pictures of how the paint you used came out and what it's like working with them.

• Curtishox and JessieBog like this

#2 RazielKOH

RazielKOH

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:20 PM

I love FW's Angron Red. I'm a GW fanboy, so if they make it, I use it. I find that my $75 job gets it done just fine. I found the kit on Amazon. 'Master Airbrush Kit' should find you what you need. I only use it for basecoating, and it works great. The Angron Red goes through smoothly - I've never had it clog up on me. Over a gold undercoat, it looks fabulous. I'm over on Instagram under Jedi Raziel, if you want to check out what it looks like. Cheers!

#3 Tom

Tom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationBlackpool, UK

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:22 PM

Tamiya is the one I use, over gold. Make sure you get some Tamiya thinner for it though. I didn't really like Agron red, it was very hit and miss.

6r0aid.jpg

• malekai likes this

#4 Liam Ryan

Liam Ryan

Liam Ryan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationCairns, Australia.

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:24 PM

Tamiya works great. It's the paint that FW used to develop the scheme. As Thamor said you must use the matching tamiya thinner.

• malekai likes this

#5 Imalu55

Imalu55

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:01 PM

Tamiya clears are top notch and as you already know very easy to source as well. Just buy a bottle of x29 thinner as well

#6 ThousandWolves

ThousandWolves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:22 AM

I like Vallejo's model air Signal Red. Nice, bright, metallic red straight out of the bottle. No need for thinning etc.
  • Irongills likes this

#7 LetsYouDown

LetsYouDown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, OR, USA

Posted 28 June 2017 - 07:29 PM

Tamiya's clear red is nice, but due to the stuff in the paint you will also probably need a mask, and as others have mentioned, X20A thinner. Probably best to use a mask anyway, though.

I've used both Tamiyas and the FW clears and I much prefer the latter, to be honest. They go on easily if you thin them properly. Usually 7+ very thin coats will do if it's thinned right, and will apply with very smooth consistency. Don't rush it and try and hold the airbrush over one spot for too long, because it pools easily (as do the Tamiya clears). Always keep the airbrush moving. Best to work in batches and/or sub-assemblies so you can apply a coat to a model, put it down, do the next, move back, etc. Can speed this up with a hair-dryer if you're not doing batches (think 1 vehicle, for example), but don't hold the hair-dryer too close or on too high a setting or it will move paint. 

Last point would be to recommend you apply your metallic pre-shades with an airbrush as well. Vallejo has great metallics for this. Don't use the old rub'n'buff schemes. They're applied via brush, and then when you apply the clear via airbrush you'll find it doesn't apply consistently or easily to the same places. Rub'n'buff is also really hard on brushes. Golds will give you a more vibrant red, silvers a colder one. 

#8 Irongills

Irongills

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 05:45 AM

I think the main problem I'm having is that I can't get a hold of Angron red very easily. tamiya clear red is super easy to get and sells for $2 a pot at a local hobby train store.

How thin are the coats you're talking about with 7+ required?? I'm still new to airbrushing so still learning.

#9 Irongills

Irongills

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 05:48 AM

I like Vallejo's model air Signal Red. Nice, bright, metallic red straight out of the bottle. No need for thinning etc.

Do you have any examples of how this turns out? I've looked for some but can't find any good examples.

#10 ThousandWolves

ThousandWolves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:20 AM

Do you have any examples of how this turns out? I've looked for some but can't find any good examples.

Not that I can think of off the top of my head- but if you can wait a week or so, I've got a whole lot of base coating to do and I can give you a pic of the WIP. You can see my minis in my thread in this sub-forum, but I've dulled down the red with a few washes. 

Actually- I found one of mine! It doesn't show the metallic effect very well, but gives you some idea of the shade of red (the lighting is fairly yellowy). This is over a grey vallejo airbrush primer:

MkWEfGz.jpg

I'll get you a nice close-up in the next few days.

#11 LetsYouDown

LetsYouDown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 05:51 PM

I think the main problem I'm having is that I can't get a hold of Angron red very easily. tamiya clear red is super easy to get and sells for $2 a pot at a local hobby train store.

How thin are the coats you're talking about with 7+ required?? I'm still new to airbrushing so still learning.

Fair enough. I'm in the US so I understand that problem... The Angron Red is nice if you can get ahold of it easily, but it's not a giant leap over Tamiya Clear or anything. 

Roughly 50/50 clear to thinner, give or take. Don't worry if it's not always exact. The first coat will not even or maybe just barely show up, but that's ok, it builds pretty quickly after that. I was looking at my notes and I've actually only been doing around 4 or 5 coats... maybe it just feels like 7  :wacko: It really doesn't take that much time while batch painting, though. Just throw on a podcast or an audiobook and you can kind of space out while doing clear coats. 

If you can find the time, there are a number of incredible courses on airbrushing and other advanced painting techniques these days. I'd look into MKA, who currently do courses in the UK and Australia and are looking to start doing US courses in 2018. Or I've just seen Scars runs one in the Netherlands now. Otherwise start off by looking into Youtube videos; there are some good ones. If you only check out a few tutorials, prioritize figuring out how to set your airbrush pressure and get your paint flowing at the right consistency first and you'll be fine to learn on your own from there.

#12 Irongills

Irongills

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 03:01 PM

My airbrush is ordered! Will hopefully be able to start posting up pictures of results next weekend. 

#13 LetsYouDown

LetsYouDown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 06:09 PM

Nice! And rather than take any of those courses, I dug up a good video for nailing your paint consistency/compressor pressure. It's a great visual demonstration of what to look for:

That's really the most important thing with airbrushing. Everything else can be learned later, and you can go as far as you want to push it as far as more advanced techniques go.

Good luck! Airbrushes are a fantastic tool to have, and a lot of fun once you get the hang of them.

#14 ThousandWolves

ThousandWolves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 07:22 AM

Hey mate, not sure if you've made up your mind yet, but here's Signal Red over a grey primer, with the finished product for comparison.

n1hYEJe.jpg
  • ThousandWolves likes this

#15 Irongills

Irongills

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:06 AM

Just got back from a trip, and my airbrush came in! Thank you all for all the tips and suggestions!

#16 Irongills

Irongills

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:06 AM

Hey mate, not sure if you've made up your mind yet, but here's Signal Red over a grey primer, with the finished product for comparison.

n1hYEJe.jpg

This...is really awesome. What did you do to this in the process? Some washes? 

#17 ThousandWolves

ThousandWolves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:17 PM

Thanks mate. I actually stole the recipe from a blogger called Sheep, who did metallic red word bearers.

Grey primer
Signal red
Dry brush silver
Army painter red wash
Army painter soft tone ink (not the dip)
Army painter dark tone ink (again, not the dip)

Then guns, golds, and silvers. Easy peasy. Army painter washes can be replaced with citadel equivalents no problem.

To be honest, you probably don't even need the final two washes. You get a nice vibrant red with just the red wash. You could even experiment with a red glaze?

#18 ashrid

ashrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationHampshire, UK

Posted 01 August 2017 - 02:20 PM

What paint/thinner ratio do people use when airbrushing the Tamiya clears?

#19 Still standing

Still standing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 05:07 PM

FW have a website...

In other news, you don't need metallic paints for nice looking Thousand Sons. I really dislike the metallic look personally. This is black primer, base Evil Suns Scarlet, highlight Trollslayer Orange, then 2 coats of Devlan Mud. Super fast through the airbrush.

shot1.jpg

#20 Liam Ryan

Liam Ryan

Liam Ryan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationCairns, Australia.

Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:33 AM

What paint/thinner ratio do people use when airbrushing the Tamiya clears?

Tamiya sprays so well it almost doesn't matter, however, anywhere from 50/50 down to super thin works really well.

• LetsYouDown likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users