Graham (Grazer) Sanders

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationNotts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 01:56 PM

Hi all,

I'm starting to plan a fan-made 'Imperial Army' fandex for the 30k era, and I'm at the stage where I'm thinking about which vehicles (tanks, transports, flyers etc) are era-specific.

I would be grateful if anyone could post here any vehicles that they have read about, either in the Black Books or in the HH novel series, so that I can base the units in my fandex on 'hard fluff' as opposed to personal choice/preference.

Cheers!

Graham S.
  • RobertJom, Gabrielses, DanielEr and 3 others like this
30k Death Guard 30k Space Wolves 30k / 40k Squats (count as IG or Imperial Militia)
40k Tyranids 40k Eldar

#2 Penddraig

Penddraig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,451 posts
  • LocationArlesey, Bedfordshire

Posted 21 May 2017 - 04:10 PM

Here's a starting point:

Leman Russ (all variants as far as I'm aware)
Scout Sentinels
Basilisk
Medusa
Gorgon
Bombard
All Baneblade variants
Malcador (all apart from the Defender version)
'Let us speak now of the death of kings...' - Richard II
Sons of Horus 131st Company "The Kingslayers" http://aus30k.com/30...itle=L-XVI-3752
'Better to reign in Hell then serve in Heaven!' - John Milton, Paradise Lost
'What is it about my leadership that makes you think I tolerate failure?' - Ezekyle Abaddon, Black Legion

#3 Penddraig

Penddraig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,451 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:16 PM

Just to add that the Survivors of the Dark Age Provenance in the Militia list also allows Rhinos and Land Raider Proteus.
Sons of Horus 131st Company "The Kingslayers" http://aus30k.com/30...itle=L-XVI-3752
'What is it about my leadership that makes you think I tolerate failure?' - Ezekyle Abaddon, Black Legion

#4 Graham (Grazer) Sanders

Graham (Grazer) Sanders

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationNotts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 12:20 PM

Thanks for the info, Penddraig. I have the Red Books so I'm up to speed with the vehicles that the SA and Auxilia use, but I'm curious as to what other vehicles may have been mentioned in passing in the 'fluff'?

I'm sure I read about Valkyries in one of the HH novels - do you remember that?
30k Death Guard 30k Space Wolves 30k / 40k Squats (count as IG or Imperial Militia)
40k Tyranids 40k Eldar

#5 drweir4

drweir4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 02:02 PM

I'll check my old IA books tonight as they often have bits on when STCs were re-found etc etc (e.g. I was re-reading the IA Macharius fluff last night and it strongly suggested that the STC wasn't recovered until well after the heresy)

I think the main ones which I *don't* remember in the 30k fluff which are in 40k are the chimera chassis (obvs the big one) and the valkyire (and obvs the newer taurus (?) - the silly stormtrooper one)

Also no specific mention of the centaur, crassus chassis, marauder (which is a bit weird, but then in the 40k fluff many other imperial plane types are referenced which have never been seen in game), vultures, taurox (the elisyan light vehicles)

#6 Graham (Grazer) Sanders

Graham (Grazer) Sanders

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationNotts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:01 PM

Does anyone remember the mention of Valkyies in the HH novels?

I'm certain it was mentioned in passing somewhere.
40k Tyranids 40k Eldar

#7 Still standing

Still standing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:26 PM

Chimeras make an appearance in the Magnus novel in the Primarchs series.

#8 Penddraig

Penddraig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,451 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:40 PM

There is also a single mention of Lorgar destroying a Chimera in Betrayer.

#9 Celestan

Celestan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:13 PM

They're described as ugly grey boxes in descent of angels too.

#10 Graham (Grazer) Sanders

Graham (Grazer) Sanders

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationNotts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:22 PM

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the comments - I'm especially intrigued by the notion of Chimera APC's existing in the 31st millennium. That gives Guard players a chance to use some of their '40k' models on an Imperial Army on 30k games.
40k Tyranids 40k Eldar

#11 Still standing

Still standing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:09 PM

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the comments - I'm especially intrigued by the notion of Chimera APC's existing in the 31st millennium. That gives Guard players a chance to use some of their '40k' models on an Imperial Army on 30k games.

I am planning on using Chimeras as Survivors of the Dark Age Rhinos for my Krieg. I'll give it a stormbolter in place of the multi-laser and not glue the lasguns in the holes. It'll be a Rhino with a pintle Heavy Bolter.
  • Penddraig likes this

#12 Graham (Grazer) Sanders

Graham (Grazer) Sanders

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationNotts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 03:45 PM

That's my thought too - ditto! Chimera chassis' counting as Rhinos is a perfectly acceptable alternative, and as the novels portray, absolutely fluffy too.

I run Squats in 30k using the Militia list, and as you say, 'Survivors of the Dark Age' gives us the opportunity to use plenty of Rhinos (or our counts-as Chimeras) in our forces.

I'll be happy to have a reason to field some of my dozen or so chassis' at long last!
40k Tyranids 40k Eldar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users