6 replies to this topic

#1 Bonefang

Bonefang

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:28 PM

Hey,

I'm thinking about starting a Raven Guard Army after I have axed my other project. I really like the Fluff, the Look and all that stealthyness of Coraxs Sons. But I got a question concerning some Legion Units and their fluffiness in a Raven Guard army.

I have a Legion Falchion and a Spartan left over from my other project and I would like to use them now, cause I really dig these two little buggers^^ But are they unfluffy? And what about other stuff like Leviathans, Quad Mortars etc.

I know that every Legion had all the stuff needed for war, but you know the saying "Just because you could, doesn't mean you should"

So I hope you can enlighten me😊
  • Jeropeake likes this

#2 Arkhas Fal

Arkhas Fal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:21 PM

Well, first of all, with the right story behind your army you can explain pretty much everything (Not gal vorbak in an alpha legion army though :D ).

Yes, the raven guard is not particularly fond of artillery and heavy armor but they DID use it. For example, during the battle at the Gate 42, they sent an armored assault against their enemy (it didn't end well unfortunately). That battle could be a nice inspiration to form the background of your army.

Another option is the one i chose for mine: before Corax was found, the XIX legion fought under Horus, and some legionaries adapted well to his methods of waging war. Unfortunately almost everyone of those Terranborn were sent in the same battle i spoke of earlier, and the survivors were pretty much banished from the bulk of the Raven Guard Legion (now almost completely composed of legionaries from Deliverance) and organized in indipendent Predation Fleets.

My own predation fleet is led by the old Shadow Lord that commanded the legion before Corax, Arkhas Fal.

This way, i can explain the presence of some units that aren't seen often in a Raven Guard army, for example Destroyers, Vorax automata, a Fellblade...

In short, get a good look on the Pre/Mid-Heresy story of the XIX legion and you'll surely find a nice inspiration that you will use to build your army.

Hope i could help :)

#3 IamOmegon

IamOmegon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • Locationkamloops British Columbia Canada

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:55 PM

Gal vorbak in an Alpha Legion army is easy. They used the corrupted Geneseed they stole from the raven guard. Producing the same outcome as the tainted raptors. This is also the same reason I wouldn't mind (and would actually love to see) someone use gal vorbak rules for some of these guys in a raven guard squad

#4 Decima

Decima

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:43 PM

The Legions were huge organisations designed to take down entire planets and empires - as such they'd have access to everything, not just their legion specialties. Go nuts! :D

• IamOmegon likes this

#5 Fastroper

Fastroper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 04:31 AM

Bonefang - I totally understand your question. I can share the choices I made under somewhat similar circumstances.

Ultimately, I chose to build and paint what attracted me to the game. This included units not typical of the Raven Guard. Part of the fun for me was creating a story why my Raven Guard army had many non-Raven Guard-like assets in the force.

I wanted a Raven Guad legion but also really wanted to paint up a wide variety of Legion units. I didn't want to start another legion so I had to decide how I'd reconcile having a spartan, a leviathan dread, or a Typhon to go alongside Mor Deythan, Dark Furies, speeders, and flyers.

Ultimately, I chose a story that, I feel, enables me to work these heavy vehicles into my lists from time to time. I have quad mortars, for example, ready to go because I wanted to paint them, not because i wanted to pop phosphex every game. But there are games I'll use these guns in the context of my army's story and mission,

I decided that as long as I self-regulate what I field and have a story for my choices, I get to also enjoy collecting and painting up a lot of cool models in my favorite legion livery.

Good luck!
  • fezza213 and sonny like this

#6 andycmac

andycmac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:40 AM

What a great answer by Fastroper! Painting a variety of units is useful as painting black can be difficult! My drive was a post Istvan MK VI infantry heavy ambush force, so shotgun scouts, dark furies and camouflaged mortars:) I've found that since all infantry can infiltrate, it really opens up the narrative, both in force org and coming up with a paint scheme.

#7 Werecelt

Werecelt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationUk, Leeds

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:51 PM

This question pops up alot!

To answer easily - go with what you want - Every Legion had all units at their disposal

In more complex words - fast, alpha hitting and 'alternative' angels is where the Raven guard excel

I like the special units and characters and building armies where they maximise their abilities - the Rg gain abilities to all of their units with infiltrate (try to think outside of the box on some units), and terminators, jump troops and jetbikes gain a nice boost in furious assault

I always try to play my RG as fast, unexpected and having multiple options to deal with things.  Its not a battle of attrition, its a battle of dismantling the opponent where they cannot respond

:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users