4 replies to this topic

#1 Ancient Crixus

Ancient Crixus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:14 AM

okay so it's pretty obvious what the scheme is with the faded white and bloodied shoulder pads. but I'm curious how people are doing backpacks? as its really hard to tell what colour it is from the one FW image we have.

Do you make them a dirty blue? paint it red like the shoulders or do somethingsomething completely different?
  • Ancient Crixus and JefferyIncaf like this

#2 Grieux

Grieux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 02:38 PM

Red will look best. Wouldn't mix blue there from a purely artistical color matching standpoint.

#3 LetsYouDown

LetsYouDown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, OR, USA

Posted 29 May 2017 - 04:12 PM

I would paint backpacks red, white, black, brass, or any combination there-of. Don't try and split your secondary colors much between blue and red.

Probably use blue only as a spot color, like you may see red with the white and blue pre/early-Heresy scheme now; sometimes there'll be red fangs on a helm, or a company number, or kill-marks, but it's kept subtle. Do that in reverse, so that if red is your main secondary, you only have a little blue, if any. Think chipping near the edges of red sections to show it's been painted over, or paint a small section in blue but then weather it back heavily (probably with white, maybe even a tiny bit of silver for bare metal) so that it's not very loud.

You can see both ideas in play here, with very faded blue towards the edges of the shoulder pads that've been painted over in crimson, and heavily faded blue on the knee pads and mid-torso that have not been repainted at all.

WEMidHeresy.jpg

Haven't attempted any of the above myself, but I've definitely thought about it a lot. Another cool advantage to using crimson as your secondary is that it will allow you to do more blood spatter without it looking as harsh a contrast as it tends to on the early Heresy schemes. Could even use red or red-brown weathering and/or oil paints to simulate not just fresh, but also dried blood, that the World Eater has left on his armour due to lack of serf attention.

#4 Crimsonhands

Crimsonhands

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 04 June 2017 - 04:50 PM

When did they actually change? 
I assume after the story from Betrayer? 

"We are all tyrants" 

#5 LetsYouDown

LetsYouDown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, OR, USA

Posted 07 June 2017 - 03:26 PM

Yeah, after Betrayer is probably when it started showing up in force. Maybe even before then, some of them might have been turned on to the Eightfold Path by contact with Word Bearers or priests of Sarum. There was no fixed point where they all went red, though. Kharn: Eater of Worlds is a story set in the Eye of Terror (it's the lead-up to Skalathrax, actually), and there are still some World Eaters running around in faded white and blue, even though most of the Legion has gone at least partially red at this point. 

A D-B also just posted this over on the B&C:

A D-B, on 07 Jun 2017 - 01:14 AM, said: If I'd done World Eaters for the tabletop, they'd totally have been red before Terra. We mused over this, about when exactly they'd change, and wanted to keep it nebulous between individual warbands, but the rough guide we used was "The more wargear resupplies you're getting from Sarum, the redder and more Khornate you get."

• Mordian7th and Crimsonhands like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users